360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for lure thoughts - stick baits and other top water - for spin fishing BFT. Been watching a lot of video about Strategic Angler and others but wanted
help with color and size choices - thanks guys -

·
153 Posts
poppers or stick baits? Good colors for stick baits are blue/silver, pink black/silver white. the herring blue pink silver from strategic is a good color. The black variant sirens are all good too.

·
Registered
59 Posts
The colors mentioned above are really good, but also make sure to have a decent range of different sized lures. The last few years, late in season they have been keyed in on smaller bait so Siren antidotes 110 and 130s, jakfin pelagus 90s, and the strategic angler proteus 80 and 100 are good starting points. From what I've heard sinking stickbaits tend to better off the cape and more fish are caught on stickbaits than poppers but it never hurts to have a few of each just in case.

·
Registered
5 Posts
We use the sinking baits because of the birds. Even then if its not a fast sinking or something that runs more than a few feet below the surface the birds will get em. A lot of guys have a set of welding gloves on board just to handle the birds, they have sharp beaks and claws.
Lure choice depends on the time of season but I dont think you can go wrong with stick baits in white/bone, blue or black & silver, mackerel, pink or hearing. Jigs and soft baits in the same or olive to match sand eels. As said above you should have an assortment. As much as you can afford and have storage space for, you wont use half of it but it makes us feel better to have it LOL
Size is really more dependent on the time of the year, I like to start with mid sized June and July go small Aug and sept and end big Oct and Nov. The later in the year the more productive stick baits seem to be for us.
I would love to catch tuna on poppers though

1 - 4 of 4 Posts