Popping blanks?

Discussion in 'Jigging and Popping' started by Taz575, Jul 18, 2009.

1. Taz575

Taz575 Senior Member

Has anyone used the Lamiglas 7'6" 2 piece 65-100# blank for a popping rod? It's the NZ90-2XH blank, I couldn't find the corresponding factory rod? I'm debating between an OTI Sniper, 40/60, 60/80, Jaws 7'6" heaviest one, Calstar GF800H, etc for throwing poppers for BFT in Cape Cod this summer.

2. Albiemanmike

Albiemanmike Senior Member

Tax,
    Just buy the Sniper blank and make one of your beautiful rods you won't be disappointed I guarantee it.

3. Taz575

Taz575 Senior Member

Yeah, thats the way I am leaning now. I was trying to find a suitable blank thru my wholesalers to save some $$$!

4. Jason4606

Jason4606 Tuna Club member

At 9oz and with a 10/64" tip, the Lami looks more like a long jigging blank. Seems like it would be too heavy and tip stiff for throwing poppers/swimbaits all day.

I like Jaws blanks. But keep in mind those ratings are conservative "mono" ratings. The ...04 (27kg tested) blanks are pretty stout jigging sticks. The PE rating of that same blank is often shown as PE6-10. I think that one step down to JI7603 or the highest rated 8' blank might be good to check out. But since they aren't really designed as popping rods for a particular lure range, it's tough to say they'll match what you want without trying them yourself... and they're 1-piece.

I love the OTI Tuna Sniper blanks! They are beautifully finished and specifically designed for popping. For me it would be between the 2 Tuna Snipers. I got the 40-60 primarily for GOM tuna because it should throw swim baits a little better and still has a ton of backbone. Like Anthony said, 60-80 for CC might be better insurance. :)

Jason

5. Taz575

Taz575 Senior Member

Yeah, I would be using poppers mostly, and wanted the extra insurance for the CC tuna. I will be up there in late August, so I want to be geared up for the larger ones if they start to move in there!

The Lami is listed as a Heavy Jigging/Saltwater Composite, but there was an older, longer model that was supposed to be a popper model. 2 piece would be much easier to wrap and epoxy, too since my lathe is 8' total. A 7'6" 1 piece is pushing it!

6. Taz575

Taz575 Senior Member

Its the 65-100# rated one, 7'6". I couldn't find a corresponding factory rod for it to look for reviews. There was a NZ102-2XH blank and corresponding rod, but I didn't find much out about it. They are supposed to be popping blanks. But the OTI 60/80 looks like the way to go I think! I guess I gotta get the planer rods finished and up for sale!

7. Albiemanmike

Albiemanmike Senior Member

OTI Sniper 60/80 just in case

Thanks MM I did forget to mention I am using the 60-80 lb. model of the Sniper and would recommend that one. I know a few guy's are using the 40-60 rod without issue but I like the added insurance of the 60-80 rod and it proved to be a good choice on my fish tuesday. The big fish are already in Taz so you don't have to wait till August buddie. Give TJ a call at OTI and talk to him, tell him you are a professional rod builder and you might be surprised at the pricing you receive.......:) No guarantees but you never know. He seems like a great guy and surely would enjoy talking rods with you.

8. ahistick

ahistick Senior Member

I don't think Lami made a rod with that blank.

9. Enoch

Enoch Senior Member

I would go with TJ's blanks. especially based on the price/deal

if I go tuna sniper for a GT rod, I'd cut down the 60/80 blank rod to 7'9" and rename it the GT Sniper 79 -PE 12 by enoch.

:)

If I go generic blank by TJ I would choose:

GT Salvation 79 by enoch
    GT Sechllyes 79 by enoch
    GT Sino Reversal 79 by enoch
    GT Sunomono 79 by enoch
    GT Swordfight King 79 by enoch

10. Taz575

Taz575 Senior Member

Well, I know they are there now, but sometimes they larger ones come in later in the year. My trip is scheduled for Aug 28th for a combo BFT/Cod/Pollack trip. I may try to get up there a few weeks earlier during my vacation, but I gotta see how much $$$ I have to A) build the rod and B) pay for the trip! I still want to do some more Canyon overnighters for YFT, which can get pricey.