360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,
I'm looking for a popperblank.
I can't decide between jw ghost hunter popping and tr black devil. 150 or 200?
Main target is bftuna 100-130lbs, poppers like skipjack, rooster, pop orca, so 3-4.5 oz.
Big reel fin nor lethal 100 withe pe#6.
Maybe you cab helpe me i'm 50/50.
Is te black devil an upgade(higher quality) to the ghost hunter?
Can the 150 ghost hunter habdle more drag than 20lbs?
I use mostly 25-30lbs.
The black devil 150 says 26lbs.
Ist it sronger or does it just look on the paper that way.
And how big is the difference to the 200s?
Thanks

·
Registered
131 Posts
I am in the same boat. Looking for slightly more rod. Pairing with Stella 08' 18k, 80lb JB.

Debating between BLACK HOLE Nano 8', Black Devil 150/200 or Ghost Hunter 200

My main target is BFT 100-150, but assume I'd be lucky and get some 200+ and do not want to be under gunned

·
Registered
265 Posts
I've been trying to get specs on the BD 150 as well, but to no avail.

The Ghost Hunter 150 is a good, light, strong parabolic blank for tuna below the century mark, in my opinion. For consistently larger fish, the 200 is likely more appropriate.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Maybe somone who fished ghost hunter and black devil or fished a 150 and 200 of one of these and can compare?

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
I haven't fished them all but alot these higher end rods truly does come down to personal preference and your style fishing. Any of the above mentioned rods will catch Tuna but ofcourse some more forgiving than others and some may cast further etc etc. Ultimately what one guys prefers or recommending may not be what you like. Sucks but most people end up buying and selling ton gear until what fits them the best so my unbiased opinion is buy whichever one you can get for good price fish it then determine what you like and dislike from that rod. From there may be able find different rod suits you better.

·
Registered
917 Posts
I fish a BD 200. The biggest fish I've landed on it is a ~50lb YFT. The fish stood zero chance. It casts sticks and poppers beautifully, paired up with an Isla 7k and JB hollow 100. All that being said, imjavent truly tested the rod in a big fish, but I'm reasonably certain that it's up to the task.

·
Site Sponsor
4,162 Posts
I have the BD150 and 200 blanks here
the 200 would be a better choice of the few you are looking at, little more power.
nice action..

the BH nano 80 is nice we have that here also, I really like it

also have the UC blanks,OTI blanks,bushido, all would be nice, but were not on your list..

also a RP250 which would be overkill for you, but really nice

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
I have a BD200, a 40-60 Tuna Sniper and just got a GH150. I like a softer tip for casting and I already had a GH150 casting rod that I really liked the action on, so when a GH150 spinner came available I jumped on it. Glad I did. Anything under 100# should be fine, If I am expecting larger I will bump to the BD 200 but that will not happen often. I put an 8K Stella on my 150 and it is a perfect match. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ok but i tend to a 14000-20000 shimano.
Would you say the gh 150 is with 150lbs tuna still at comfort zone, cause the average tunas are 100-140class...

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
Sorry for the late reply...... It is doable, But..... I would not choose it if I had an option for a 200. If you are likely to have your "average" fish in the 100-140 range I think I would opt for the 200.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Maybe somone who fished ghost hunter and black devil or fished a 150 and 200 of one of these and can compare?
I have fished the GH150, 200 and the BD150. The GH150 is my favorite of these all for Gulf yellowfin tuna but they are all very different. The GH150 is quite parabolic for a popping rod and is extremely light. It's a joy to use I love the way it bends and its weight; it's my go to rod for most of topwater since the fish aren't that large. I agree the GH150 is probably best for 100lb or less yellowfin; not sure about bluefin. My brother & I fought a +/- 90lb yellowfin with it and it was perfect for it. I wish it was longer though maybe between 7'9" and 8' for a bit more casting distance. I It's tip is not very soft for its diameter and I would say it is slightly more of a popper rod than stickbait but is a pretty good overall rod. The GH200 is a monster of a rod in my opinion very stiff and strong definitely a popper orientated rod. Much much more rod than the GH150. The BD150 is somewhere in between probably closer to the GH200 in terms of strength.
I believe the lure range I was given for the BD150 was 60-140g. Casting distance is good with the BD150 because of its rod length 8'3" but the fight is a little more challenging with the extra length. the BD150's tip is more flexible than expected as its thicker than the GH150; not whippy by any means though. more stickbait orientated i think but can be used for smaller popppers. I think the BD150 may be ideal for you since your tuna are larger than our gulf tuna. BD150 has a lot of ass to it and is a serious rod that can probably land much larger tuna. It's much heavier in weight, thicker in diameter than the GH series just like the rest of the BD series.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Hey Guys,
I'm looking for a popperblank.
I can't decide between jw ghost hunter popping and tr black devil. 150 or 200?
Main target is bftuna 100-130lbs, poppers like skipjack, rooster, pop orca, so 3-4.5 oz.
Big reel fin nor lethal 100 withe pe#6.
Maybe you cab helpe me i'm 50/50.
Is te black devil an upgade(higher quality) to the ghost hunter?
Can the 150 ghost hunter habdle more drag than 20lbs?
I use mostly 25-30lbs.
The black devil 150 says 26lbs.
Ist it sronger or does it just look on the paper that way.
And how big is the difference to the 200s?
Thanks
Just reread your post. With that much drag definitely go with at least the BD150 or GH200 maybe even the BD200 . I fish 15-18lbs of drag on the JW GH150 I don't think it would handle 25+ lb drag well at all. I've fished up to 20lbs on the BD150 but it was not even close to being maxed out.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts