Popping and Jigging Tournament Report " Live from Panama "

Discussion in 'South of the Border' started by panamasportfishinglodge, May 19, 2009.

1. panamasportfishinglodge

panamasportfishinglodge Site Sponsor

Well ! we finally got all the Tournament anglers at the Lodge and things are starting pretty good with the pre-fish day , weather is holding up pretty well , with all the anglers fishing the Montuosa and Hannibal area , the tourney is being monitored by Tony Pena that is going to do a write up,YFT's hitting poppers like there is tomorrow , Nice catches of Tuna with GanderVA catching a YFT (100#) on a popper , everyone had there fill on popping for Yft's and switch to , what YFT's enthusiast as garbage fish "Marlin"(what ?) , there was nice Blue Marlin that circled Capt. Macho's boat for 30 mins. , actually was attempting to hit a nice yft's that was being reeled in, Richard threw a popper at it and manage to get a fight out of this fish , that was either curious or saw Tony Pena in the boat and remembered him from his prior trip , Jack hook a nice fish as well Panama Sportfishing, panama fishing charters | Panamsportfishinlodge.com

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Bret

Bret Senior Member

Great pics John... keep us posted..!!!!

3. fathom

fathom Lifetime Supporting Members

Good luck to all! I recognize a few faces, Jack has tx. st. snapper record...

4. masonboro

masonboro Senior Member

5. panamasportfishinglodge

What a way to start the first day of the tournament , not only it is first of a kind , it also shows that off season in Panama is about the weather not the fishing , all anglers starting out early with anticipation , boats went out and headed for Isla Montuosa , it look a little gloomy at first when a huge cloud cover was moving thru the island but it quickly moved on , they got right away on a huge school of Yft's doing acrobats together with the spotted Dolphins ,a 90+ lbs fish was hook first on a Popper by Skip Hoagland and Lucky TJ threw his popper and hooked up on a fish that weigh in at 130lbs. on a OTI Tuna Sniper and of course his OTI Wombat , this is the popper of the week so far , A very good day for this , everybody hooking up on several fish ( 40 to 80 + lbs. ) , even the watch boat got on the action (me) , enjoy the pics. (more to come )

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. ichibahn

ichibahn ** Pak Lurah **

Alright....way to go TJ !!!

7. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

Tell TJ congratulations on his catch. I know he was disappointed when he couldn't go with me and wacker. I wanted to meet him and fish with him on my trip to panama sportfishing lodge. After fighting heavy seas this weekend here in Texas, I now only hope I get to fish in nice calm water one more time in my life.

8. STx Fisherman

STx Fisherman Senior Member

Way to go TJ...nice fish!

Looks like a pretty good catch for starters.

9. semipro

semipro Senior Member

Guys look at that water,flattt.It was very hard the fish on it I bet!!!!
    Dan,does your FU-FU popper bag come from France yet?
    It looks no body having fun !!!Wow look at those tunassss
    TJ how big is your tuna?

10. panamasportfishinglodge

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So that everybody know's , I only have one shirt ! LOL

11. panamasportfishinglodge

Tell TJ congratulations on his catch. I know he was disappointed when he couldn't go with me and wacker. I wanted to meet him and fish with him on my trip to panama sportfishing lodge. After fighting heavy seas this weekend here in Texas, I now only hope I get to fish in nice calm water one more time in my life.

Mr. Bill

TJ is definitely making up for it !! he is almost as nice as me ! LOL

I guess you guys did go out and brave the big seas

12. wacker

wacker Senior Member

Tell TJ I said good job and if he keeps it up i will teach him how to use a conventional reel someday.:eek: :D

13. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

Nice T-Shirt.

Attached Files:

14. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

ditto on the cool t shirt :)

hopefully the overcast skies brought a little cooler temps??

nice work guys, i miss that place!

15. Pope

Pope Senior Member

Congrats TJ. I would expect no less from you. I a1m glad you were able to get down there in time for the tournament!