POPPERS

Discussion in 'Lure Building' started by jonsey850, Apr 20, 2016.

1. jonsey850

jonsey850 Member

DSC02456 resize.JPG

lite-liner likes this.
  2. cavalier

cavalier Junior member

Nice GT, your poppers work very well:p:p

3. cavalier

cavalier Junior member

Any tips where I can get cheap swaged eyelets in the US. The one's I could locate were prohibitively expensive.

4. jonsey850

jonsey850 Member

Hi Cavalier
    I do't know about the US, I would have thought you would be able to get them cheaper in over there. I can get them for $2.00-2.50AU each.
    Mainz here in Aus seem to provide the most suitable swage eyes. Although they have since re- stocked 2.5mm eyes so they may be different.
    http://www.wirebalustrades.com.au/index.php

You want them to have a 2.5-2.7mm ID so you can drill it to 2.7mm (50% thread or the tap will snap). Make sure you buy the best SS tap you can find the cheap ones won't last long, you should get 50 threades out of a tap if you are carefull (use a proper cutting fluid). I bought 10T compression die to crimp one end on to the threaded rod, that gives 100 lures before you have to get a new tap.

It would be best if you could find a local supplier then you can go measure them or even pick out the ones with the right ID.

If someone has any ideas for better alternative threaded eyes I would like to know as the swage eyes can be hard to get in the correct size (and taps are expensve if you break them).

Cheers

cavalier likes this.
  5. jonsey850

jonsey850 Member

Also just out of interest I use a twisted leader which I make mayself that is quite simple. It results in a loop at either end so a loop to loop connection can be used (leader to bimini via cats paw ect) and is streamlined so it passes throuh guides smoothly. I have found FG knots to be too unreliable using 80lb+ braid. I can take some photos if anyone is interested.

6. cavalier

cavalier Junior member

Thanks for the inputs Jonsey, The search is still on . I am getting good ones only for $5 & above. That is too expensive. Some Chinese one's are available, but quality is a problem.

7. jonsey850

jonsey850 Member

Yeah $5.00 is way too much. All the ones here in aus are chinese just have to find the ones that are the best. Some places want $10 each here!! You will notice some have a very poor finish and the eye is not even in the middle, avoid these as they look terrible.

8. jonsey850

jonsey850 Member

Back due to popular demand, this time in Cedar. Matches the colour of the real bottle much better.
    DSC03009.jpg DSC03010.jpg DSC03011.jpg DSC03012.jpg

flyguy and Fightingfish like this.
  9. cavalier

cavalier Junior member

Real classic. Neat work

10. jonsey850

jonsey850 Member

Thanks Cavalier for the kind words. How are you going finding some reasonably priced swages?

11. cavalier

cavalier Junior member

No luck till now. I am based in India. Tried in US but have not been able to home into some cheap swaged terminals. Quality stuff is available on nautical websites ( for securing sails) & on wire fencing websites. Pretty expensive. Search is on. Last option is to import from Australia. Shipping will make it go beyond $7

12. jonsey850

jonsey850 Member

Yeah its probably not worth it at $7 each, but I guess if you were just using them for personal lures it wouldn't really matter.

13. cavalier

cavalier Junior member

Hi,
    Is this the Swage eyes you are using from http://www.wirebalustrades.com.au/terminals.php

Terminal - Eye/Swage
    [​IMG] Must use an hydraulic swage tool. We can swage it for you here. Other sizes are available.
    • 316 grade Stainless Steel
    Prices:
    Model : 46525 - for wire size 2.5mm - $2.50

14. jonsey850

jonsey850 Member

Yeah thats them, they were the best. ID was generaly smaller than 2.7mm so they could be drilled then tapped. I bought the last of what they had and they have sice got a new order in, so hopefully they are the same. They also had a much higher quality finish than other suppliers.

Cheers

15. cavalier

cavalier Junior member

A friend is coming to India from Australia. Planning to get some over for a trial. Lets hope it works out. Thanks for all the advice. Much obliged.

16. jonsey850

jonsey850 Member

No worries mate, I hope all goes well for you.

17. cavalier

cavalier Junior member

Sad but it did not work out. Wire Balustrades sent the consignment to Melbourne, but Express Post did not deliver the parcel & sent it back to the firm without calling the addressee. A number of mails & calls to Graeme did not work out & he is refusing to send it again. So I guess this effort is jinxed. Will look for an alternative.

18. jonsey850

jonsey850 Member

Thats is no good mate, the postage system here is pretty average. I have never had a phone call from a courier ect they always just return it to the closest depot or the sender.

19. cavalier

cavalier Junior member

Guess it was jinxed. Searching for other option. Thanks for the support.

20. jonsey850

jonsey850 Member

Bit of a late report, thought I would head up to Port Douglas for some action. Fished heavily the Batt and Tounge Reefs for only one GT but a plenty of Barracuda...

DSC03388 resize.JPG

With a break in the weather we decided to head out to the shelf where we had some better luck. Landed some nice Mahi on pushers and had a few Marlin take poppers but sadly we weren't able to get a decent hook up on one :(. The lures were rigged with trebbles which was not helping the cause.

DSC03394 resize.JPG

Cheers

Kipi and jshorty like this.