Poppers?

Discussion in 'Jigging and Popping' started by Custom Canvas, Jul 29, 2009.

1. Custom Canvas

Custom Canvas Member

Ok so i am getting ready to make the plung and buy some poppers

i am looking for some feedback on a few questions

Best brands?/Size/Shape I have seen a few in action looking to target all types of fish tuna/snapper/mahi/aj.......

I am also making my own on my wood lathe
    I am making them out of white oak, and some out of juniper had some laying aournd. Have ordered some supplies from Salty's
    I will have some photos of that process soon

Kil, I hope you chime in here i would like to buy from you..

cc out

2. hamptonsurf

hamptonsurf Senior Member

There is a thread on here where someone trashed a series of poppers to see what held up best. I believe the OTIs came out WAY on top. I bought some on that report and will never look back. Probably a decent second is the Strike Pro. However, it is worth it to buy the OTIs as they have the nice hooks. Had to buy a box of the same hooks to upgrade my strikepros. Strike Pro does make a smaller one “tuna hunter jr) which I think is much better for mahi etc.

3. hamptonsurf

hamptonsurf Senior Member

OTI wombats are awesome though. Mahi love the Nemo pattern for some reason.

4. lordhell

lordhell Moderator

Ok so i am getting ready to make the plung and buy some poppers

i am looking for some feedback on a few questions

Best brands?/Size/Shape I have seen a few in action looking to target all types of fish tuna/snapper/mahi/aj.......

I am also making my own on my wood lathe
    I am making them out of white oak, and some out of juniper had some laying aournd. Have ordered some supplies from Salty's
    I will have some photos of that process soon

Kil, I hope you chime in here i would like to buy from you..

cc out

For Mahi, try the Tackle House Feed Popper, they are small and will do well for Mahi popping:

Angler's Pro Shop - Tackle House Feed Popper

For tuna, as hamptonsurf has said, those OTI poppers are excellent quality for their price. The OTI Komodo popper is highly recommended and a proven tuna killer.

Can't help with the snapper/aj popping though as those guys don't come up to surface feed here in the gulf of mexico like they do up in the east coast... well atleast i've never encountered them on the surface... :p

5. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

6. swsteven

swsteven Member

wow that sounds good cause i just bought one lol

7. swsteven

swsteven Member

OTI wombats are awesome though. Mahi love the Nemo pattern for some reason.
    wow that sounds great cause i just bought one lol

8. paul708

paul708 Site Sponsor

gotta love the OTI poppers:D

9. panamasportfishinglodge

panamasportfishinglodge Site Sponsor

We have caught lots of fish with the OTI Komodo or the Wombat poppers

[​IMG]

10. Custom Canvas

Custom Canvas Member

We have caught lots of fish with the OTI Komodo or the Wombat poppers

[​IMG]

DAMN!!

I DIDN'T EVEN NOTICE THE POPPER IN THIS PHOTO
    :)

John i cant wait to fish at your lodge this winter

11. masonboro

masonboro Senior Member

Custom Canvas,
    Be prepared, I fish the same water you fish.When you go down to John's place to fish,you will not want to fish here in N.C.anymore.We have excellent fishing here in N.C., but you ain't seen nothing yet!!!

12. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

custom canvas,
    check anglers proshop first. They introduce many different Japanese poppers to the US.
    I am pretty conservative and I carry very limited items based on my direct experience and recommendations of experienced fishermen. I work with a few local custom lure builders for my shop now and if you need info I am gladly ask them to anwer your questions.

13. rtran

rtran Senior Member

OTI poppers are great for the money. The new stickbait and big mouth poppers look promising.

14. Albiemanmike

Albiemanmike Senior Member

DAMN!!

I DIDN'T EVEN NOTICE THE POPPER IN THIS PHOTO
    :)

John i cant wait to fish at your lodge this winter

John,
    Those are NICE! The popper is is cool too! I love bikini's that are just too small..........:D

If those are your daughters I apologize profusely and retract my second statement.............:)

15. SpecialK

SpecialK Super Moderator

I'll third the OTI poppers. I have caught a ton of fish on them and they are better made, come with better hooks and are a better value than any other poppers I have used.
    Komodo and Wombat are where its at.

16. SeaWolf

SeaWolf Junior member

another option is tattoo's tackle's sea pup and sea dogs (2oz, 3oz respectively). they've already taken topwater tuna the last couple years and i know dom has done well with them this year. thru-wired, wood, and 4x VMC's standard. they are available at many local shops in NE.

17. panamasportfishinglodge

panamasportfishinglodge Site Sponsor

John,
    Those are NICE! The popper is is cool too! I love bikini's that are just too small..........:D

If those are your daughters I apologize profusely and retract my second statement.............:)

No worry ! one day I want to have daughters with them , LOL