Poppers - OTI, StrikePro etc

Discussion in 'Jigging and Popping' started by hamptonsurf, Jun 24, 2009.

1. hamptonsurf

hamptonsurf Senior Member

I have been looking at some of these poppers, and like the bog stuff. The OTI and Strike Pros have great colorschemes, but I have heard neither holds up well to big fish or toothy fish. I bought a williamson thing...which has some nice rattles and jet ports for bubble trails, but its not through wire. The plastic may be stringer, but the hooks are the most important, obviously.

What do you guys like? I hate spending 25 bucks on one lure, but unfortunately that's what things have come to these days...along with 1000 dollar spinning reels.

2. d-a

d-a Senior Member

I have been looking at some of these poppers, and like the bog stuff. The OTI and Strike Pros have great colorschemes, but I have heard neither holds up well to big fish or toothy fish. I bought a williamson thing...which has some nice rattles and jet ports for bubble trails, but its not through wire. The plastic may be stringer, but the hooks are the most important, obviously.

What do you guys like? I hate spending 25 bucks on one lure, but unfortunately that's what things have come to these days...along with 1000 dollar spinning reels.

I dont know where you head that about the OTI poppers, but they hold up extremly well. The older strike pros were not as good as the newer ones.

Here is a good read about the ones your asking about http://www.360tuna.com/forum/f76/strike-pro-tuna-hunter-poppers-giant-not-so-giant-tuna-3812/

d-a

3. kidflex

kidflex Senior Member

ive had a tuna hunter almost fall apart on a big tuna. then recently ive had a tuna hunter that took abuse from smaller tuna and a ton of barracuda all night(did not change lure) and hold up pretty well. also seen some oti komodos take abuse and the other hand saw 2 of them split(down the center) back to back on smaller tunas. but for the price they cant be beat.

4. JPKIPP63

JPKIPP63 Member

We use Braid Poppers and Braid Runners and they hold up great at our fishing lodge in Panama. Thats all we use for the most part for popping at Hooked on Panama Fishing Lodge.

5. hamptonsurf

Thanks Guys. I guess I will keep trying them. Are the StrikePro and OTI's through wired? I landed a big wahoo in florida a few years ago on a popper (some miami-local brand I can't remember) and the entire body of the poper cracked and fell off, but the fish came in on the through wire, like I was fishing a steel leader. I like that security. I'll pay 25 for a lure that falls apart as long as the fish gets in.

6. Rottweiler22

Rottweiler22 Member

All topwaters are not super expensive...

The Roberts Ranger is a great bait and is about 7 bucks. We got some tuna on the 3oz blue and white one this weekend. 'the surfcaster' has them and other affordable baits that are all thru-wired.
    Also if you check out 'barlow's tackle unpainted foam lure bodies'. They are set on a stainless harness. Nice heavy pencil poppers, little neck poppers, and even swimmers.

Fancy paint jobs don't matter to fish, action is more important. If you think color matters Barlow's sells lure tape in holographic silver, glow, and any other color you can think of.

You have to put or change hooks on them, but you have to do that with 1/2 the expensive lures anyways. Just say no to 30 dollar lures.

7. hamptonsurf

I agree....I say no to 1000.00 spinning reels and 25.00 lures. I say yes to....well.....just about everything else.

8. d-a

d-a Senior Member

Thanks Guys. I guess I will keep trying them. Are the StrikePro and OTI's through wired? I landed a big wahoo in florida a few years ago on a popper (some miami-local brand I can't remember) and the entire body of the poper cracked and fell off, but the fish came in on the through wire, like I was fishing a steel leader. I like that security. I'll pay 25 for a lure that falls apart as long as the fish gets in.

All your questions are answered in this thread http://www.360tuna.com/forum/f76/strike-pro-tuna-hunter-poppers-giant-not-so-giant-tuna-3812/

But yes the Strike pro's and OTI are thru wired. The OTI come out of the package ready to fish

d-a

9. d-a

d-a Senior Member

I agree....I say no to 1000.00 spinning reels and 25.00 lures. I say yes to....well.....just about everything else.

Your missing out on some of the finer things in Life. LOL

d-a

10. rtran

rtran Senior Member

The OTI are good poppers and come with ready to fish hardware.
    I used them last season and have not had one fail. Went through plenty of blackfin and tunas. Even got one 100-110 on the komodo. My strike pro poppers started giving (wood start chipping and finish) but they still held.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. gman

gman Senior Member

Fancy paint jobs don't matter to fish, action is more important.

I agree but the paint job does have a lot to do with the action and floating

A great paintjob will help protect the epoxy coating which will protect the lure from sinking which ultimately affects its action.

I've seen in panama what bad paint jobs do to poppers, the paint falls off, the epoxy peels back and the wood saturates with water therefore the popper sinks

12. beachcomber

beachcomber Guest

I am reading this right out of the Strike Pro catalog:

Made of Japanese Cypresswood ... 250# triple-wrapped, stainless steel split rings, Forged VMC cone cut, 6X strong hooks ... and I saw a story about their JR. which is 300 lb. test thru-wired, so the big one has to be at least that strong. Sounds solid to me -- and a "toothy" fish is gonna go through anything if you dck around w/ em enough.

The OTI's look just like 'em.

13. kidflex

kidflex Senior Member

I agree but the paint job does have a lot to do with the action and floating

A great paintjob will help protect the epoxy coating which will protect the lure from sinking which ultimately affects its action.

I've seen in panama what bad paint jobs do to poppers, the paint falls off, the epoxy peels back and the wood saturates with water therefore the popper sinks
    i agree! last month my tuna hunter was getting hammered by cudas. the paint(actually vinyl/sticker coating around it was peeling off. the lure started sinking. had to pump it like 3-4 times before it would surface.

14. hamptonsurf

Holy #$%#@...that's my cousin in the background of your picture. I think h caught a HUGE warsaw grouper on that trip.