360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What size of treble hooks should you use on a popper which are > 120g?

From reading various posts on this board I was thinking ST66 5/0. I
purchased some of these and they are huge! I picked up a couple
of OTI Komodo poppers and those have ST66 3/0 trebles. Given
this, I'm, leaning towards using 3/0s for GOM tuna.

Do you guys attach trebles to your popper when you use it or
do you already have the hooks attached? Seems like you can cut
down on your treble inventory if you attach as you go.

Any suggestion for split-ring pliers that can handle Owner #10 rings?
I purchased the large size Texas Tackle pryers today. They work
really well on my jig split-rings but I'm battling to attach 3/0 and
4/0 trebles.

·
4,723 Posts
You can attach as u go or pre-attach them, put a cultiva safety cap on them and throw'em in a duffle bag. I prefer pre-rig so I don't have to mess with hooks while fishing, just detach from swivel and put on new popper.

On the Komodo poppers, I have been using ST-66 4/0 trebles with great results. I am sure others will say 3/0 is optimal, but I have found 4/0 to work great for me in the GOM.

Get the HPA split ring pliers, they are better and will open huge split rings with little effort:

HPA Big Game Split Ring Pliers - eBay (item 330357789704 end time Mar-03-10 23:57:57 PST)

·
1,086 Posts
I have about 10 split ring pliers\pryers The Texas tackle Large and the Owner
large will get the job done for 30 to 50 bucks. Or you can go the 80$ to 250$
route for anozided Pryers they are nice but not required.
Larger hooks on poppers, ie 1 size up will not effect the lure as much as an over sized hook on a swim bait. get too large on a swim bait and the action
will die... IMHO.
Kev

·
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the link L-H. I'll see whether Dan can give me a deal on these since I made several purchases from him in the past few weeks.

BTW: I have 4 bags of Owner Culitva hook bonnets on their way from Japan.

·
1,334 Posts
I have the St66 2/0, 3/0, 4/0 and 5/0, plus some ST76 5/0! The 3/0 and 4/0 look the right size, the 2/0 are pretty small.

I picked up some split ring pliers, Daiwa DWA-190H, and I can open Owner #11 split rings and put a Gamakatsu HD Live Bait 10/0 onto the split ring with a little extra prying. The little Shimano curved split ring pliers are OK, but the Daiwa do better with the larger rings. I twist the pliers to open the ring up further for the bigger hooks and stuff. Not the easiest, but it works and is inexpensive!

G

·
4/0 is the biggest i'd use in the gulf on poppers. 3/0 or 4/0 on poppers and 2/0 or 3/0 on most swimbaits. the OTI poppers come with the ST66 hooks in the proper size in case you havent bought poppers yet. 5/0 are just unecessary for what you'll hook in the GOM.

·
104 Posts
Depends on what your aim is.. If you intend to release the fish then I would strongly suggest you use NO TREBLES at all wich is the way I will put them forever on from now on. You put a Jobu big game hook in the rear and double Owner SJ'41s or 1's under the belly. This way u make sure to nut cut up any fish in a totally unnecessesary way. This style seems to be very much practised in Australia. By doing it this way you will probably have the fish on until the end with no hooks pulling out.

Peace on earth!

·
1,262 Posts
Bret is right on, don't get too crazy about hook size, people are starting to beef up EVERYTHING and it's just not necessary. Put one of those OTO Komodos in your hand and you'll see that there's ALOT of hook on them.

·
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You bring up a good point FishDisco. I have seen barbless Owner trebles which may be better for releasing but would probably still scratch up the fish.

·
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You can attach as u go or pre-attach them, put a cultiva safety cap on them and throw'em in a duffle bag. I prefer pre-rig so I don't have to mess with hooks while fishing, just detach from swivel and put on new popper.

On the Komodo poppers, I have been using ST-66 4/0 trebles with great results. I am sure others will say 3/0 is optimal, but I have found 4/0 to work great for me in the GOM.

Get the HPA split ring pliers, they are better and will open huge split rings with little effort:

HPA Big Game Split Ring Pliers - eBay (item 330357789704 end time Mar-03-10 23:57:57 PST)

One final question LH... do the HPA's work on small split rings too like those on bass
lures, or, would I need something else for those?

·
4,723 Posts
One final question LH... do the HPA's work on small split rings too like those on bass
lures, or, would I need something else for those?

I've been able to use them on 70-80lb split rings without issues, so I think you'll be ok with those size. If any smaller, I would look to using a more standard split ring opener, any cheapo one will do.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts