360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've got my first tuna trip coming up in 3 weeks. I've ordered a few of the mabechi poppers. They say they come with owner split rings and and vmc treble hooks. My questions are.

1. Do I need to change out the hardware on these like I did on my halco's?

2. Would there be any advantage to changing to inline single hooks?

3. If I need to change out the hooks what size hooks should I use?

·
Super Moderator
6,355 Posts
Fish what you got and if its inferior, change it out.
as far as your trip you can either do it now or be defeated and do it later, your call.
I say wait until this stuff gets there then compare it to what you have already collected.
if you are fishing GOM you should already know 2/o Owner St66 is the primary treble and
Sargeant Decoy 6/o singles are that. owner #8 splits and Spro 220 swivels. gonna eventually get to the line and the knot of your choice.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you. I will be fishing in the gom. I changed out all the hardware on my halco's. I knew those where the hooks to go with for those. This will be my first time going after anything other than snapper and grouper. So I didn't know if the hooks would be the same for the poppers as the halco's.

·
Registered
32 Posts
In general I've found Daiwa's stock hardware to be serviceable out of the packaging, but I haven't played with the Mebachi's at all. They do make an earnest effort for them to be ready to go as-received.

·
2,186 Posts
The size hook depends on the popper size, usually the bigger the popper the bigger the hooks. Keep in mind what the Diawa text said about matching the weight of the original treble hooks even if going with single inline hooks. If you choose to go with Owner Zo-Wire hooks which are a lighter strong alloy you can usually up one size and still make the weight range. Poppers with single inline hooks swim the same but you may experience some missed hook ups especially if you allow a lot of slack in the line. Swim baits are pickier, if designed for treble hooks switching to inline hooks will affect the swim action to some extent, again using Owner Zo-Wire inline hooks usually let you up one size of hook and still stay in weight range.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts