popper casting on BIG E...

Discussion in 'Jigging and Popping' started by semipro, Aug 25, 2008.

1. semipro

semipro Senior Member

Ive searched for casting threads but couldnt find any... can some experienced casters post some tips for casting on big E. Thanks, Tufan

2. rtran

rtran Senior Member

Whip it, whip it good, whip it real good. HAHA

BIG E usually puts jiggers/live bait on one side of the boat and poppers on the other side. You can side cast on the side or if you are in the front or back do full overhead casts or under hand. Try to cast past the boat lights.

3. SkeeterRonnie

SkeeterRonnie Senior Member

say it loud... "going out".. when casting to let anyone around you know not to walk into a 12" lure full of treble hooks...

4. Uncle Russ

Uncle Russ Senior Member

I have not personally had any success casting on my two trips, (52 hr and 76 hr) primarily because of my fear of hitting someone, even after, as Ronnie correctly points out, yelling "Going Out!"). That having been said, I will add a few tips from my own experience and from what I have been told by others:

1. As Purevl says, folks casting lures are usually posted on one side--usually the one with the wind at your back. The best place seems to me to be on the bow pulpit, up near the anchor--where you can get a really good back cast with a minimum risk of ripping off somebody's hide. On my first trip, on a couple of long drifts, I had this area virtually to myself--however there was no bite at the time, so I just spent my time in unsuccessful blind casting.

2. If, due to crowding, you decide to position yourself on the side, against the superstructure of the boat, your backcast will be severely limited--if you can do a long underhand flip--more power to you--I cannot.

3. Many people cast from the stern--especially the starboard corner. That is where it really can get hairy with as many as 10 people yelling, "Going Out" and then letting her rip.

4. There is some disagreement between whether it is more effective to engage in blind casting or wait until you can cast to a busting fish. Obviously, if there is a surface bite on, it is better to cast to a fish which is pursuing a live flyer. They sometimes get real close to the boat. But if not, it is a tradeoff between the obvious advantage of having a lure in the water and expending energy which might come in handy later. Personally, I have engaged in blind casting just because I hate sitting or standing still.

5. Be ready just before dawn with your popping or swimbait rod in hand--there is usually a bite at that time--maybe short.

Russ

5. fathom

fathom Lifetime Supporting Members

Tufan,

I have the witchdoctor making you a special voodoo casting amulet, wear it and you will catch biggest fish!

Attached Files:

6. jig

jig Senior Member

I usually just blind cast. My accuracy in casting a big bait 75yds is limited, esp. with the crowded conditions. Just let it go, reel in, repeat. For hours and hours....

And if you're in the very corner, try not to cast yourself out of the boat.

7. jig

jig Senior Member

Steve, can I get one of those? Were you wearing one when you got your 144#?

8. Uncle Russ

Uncle Russ Senior Member

One other tip--watch whatever Steve is doing and do that. :)

9. jig

jig Senior Member

The main thing I notice Steve doing is fishing. He is out there throwing the whole time. I don't think he takes a break from the topwaters.:)

10. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

on the trip next weekend (not the labor day one), i'll cast or jig all of both nights and probably sleep a fair amount in the day, depending on the type of bottom fishing we do. if there is a crazy current or its extremely deep im not going to bother.

11. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

say it loud... "going out".. when casting to let anyone around you know not to walk into a 12" lure full of treble hooks...

Those trebles will hurt.:mad:

Attached Files:

12. Uncle Russ

Uncle Russ Senior Member

MrBill: Those look like fairly large hands--the kind that require special reel handles. Do we know the owner????? :)

A good way to get that hook out would be to pour some gasoline down into the puncture, light a match over it, and as the hole gets wider from the burning flesh, stab down into it a few times with an ice pick and then rip the hook out.

Russ

13. Sea Crappie

Sea Crappie Senior Member

To all the great advice already doled out, I'd add practice on land as much as possible. Properly casting heavy popping rods (and doing so with little obvious effort) takes lots of practice. If you have multiple rods, practice with all of them. Practice w/ lighter lures and heavy ones.

Using a popping rod to your full advantage is just as tough as fly fishing. Granted there are times when you could rip a buffalo wing across the surface and they'd hit it, but that's rare.

If you practice you gain accuracy, distance and a compact movement that won't wear you out.

Also work on retrieving the lure in different manners. I primarily use the rod pointed at the water and the rod under my arm for chuggers and stickbaits. For pencil poppers, I fish with the rod upright and in the belt. Changing up retrieves can help keep you fresh too.

14. jt2hunt

jt2hunt Senior Member

Sea Crappie can fling it! Not as far as me, but close(wink, wink)

some leave about six inches to a foot of line hanging with popper and get it swinging back and forth before launching. This method can greatly increase distance.

15. Fishhead56

Fishhead56 Senior Member

all above good stuff..

Practice is someting I do not do enough of for casting this type of tackle.
    And a good point.
    I can and do some checks whith spin gear on local water.
    But have not found the location, 8ft above water to underhand cast a 4\0
    and popper like I saw Capt Marven do. Anyway...
    Safty first, practice 2nd, right lure 3rd.

my thoughts

K2

16. semipro

semipro Senior Member

Thank you very much for all the input.But as some of us notice before;casting and yelling ;going out; is not enough.If you are not giving some attention.Please come upstairs of the boat and watch ;when people are casting,I dont want to look like Mr. Bill !!!
    What is the technique to cast far???Pushing to rod butt at same time...
    I have ;2 drinking team with fishing problem ,member coming to trip with us.
    I would like them to learn also...I am praying for the weather.

17. rtran

rtran Senior Member

crack it like a whip

18. Sea Crappie

Sea Crappie Senior Member

Different situations call for different techniques, but in general, I use Konishi-san's method (Carpenter). For a righty it looks like this:

1. Facing straight at your target, hold the rod above your head and parallel to the ground. Point the butt of the rod at the target. Set up so that your left arm angles out at 45deg and is straight. Your right arm should be bent 90deg with the fore-arm near vertical. The right hand should be slightly ahead of and above your right ear. Leave 2.5-4ft of line out (this varies w/ lure weight and safety considerations). Setting up properly is 1/2 the battle just like in golf

-- I use a 15ft mono leader, others use a very short leader, the choice is yours, but I'd have the mono/spectra connection either on the reel or out of the eye while casting.

2. In one movement, pull your left hand down and in in a smooth arc towards your belly button. At the same time push your right hand straight out. It will follow a slight natural arc, but you don't have to concentrate on this. Try to accelerate your arms through the whole motion. You don't have to whip, snap, or jerck the rod in an abrupt way.

3. Release the lure just before you feel the rod go vertical. The finishing position should put the rod butt in your belly, right arm straight out from the shoulder and the rod at a 30-45deg angle.

You shouldn't have to strain or torque your back or body to achieve good distance using this method. Once you're comfortable doing this, you can get better results shifting your weight forward using your legs. As noted above though, don't throw yourself out of the boat.

For an expert demonstration check out Koinishi's video. He also demonstrates the proper way to work various lure types.

Here's the link to the video:

Angler's Pro Shop

Tufan, if you want you can borrow my copy before the trip. Just let me know.

19. seabiscuit

seabiscuit Guest

hey guys i am the new kid on the block and i will be going on the 52 hour trip september 5th. thanks for all of the pointers and i play a lot of golf so thanks for the golf analogy. hey vudoo steve Tufan wants to know about the limits for the trip.

20. Uncle Russ

Uncle Russ Senior Member

SeaCrappie: I have heard the same thing explained before, but yours is the most clear I have come across. I know one thing I have done incorrectly on the Big E--when surrounded by others and worrying about causing serious bodily injury (to wit: ripping off their reproductive organs)--is to hold the rod, not horizontally, but with the tip elevated about 15 degrees above the horizontal--so I lose some power that way. When by myself on the bow pulpit, I could unload the right way and it made a huge difference.

Another problem I had--as an old spin fisherman--when first starting out with heavy rods, reels, and lures, and braided line, was to try holding the line with just the tip of my right index finger--as I would with light tackle. The result was shooting the line and lure straight up in the air like a Saturn Moon Rocket. Finally someone pointed out that with popping gear, you have to secure the line against the rod with the base of your whole finger--Since almost everyone else is smarter than I am, I probably don't have to even mention this, but a Twinspin 30 ain't no Mitchell 300 with 6 pound mono! :)

Am I correct in assuming that Konishi San's DVD is in Japanese, as opposed to English? I guess even so, the demo would be the same.

Thanks,

Russ