Popper building project

Discussion in 'Jigging and Popping' started by masonboro, Aug 6, 2009.

1. masonboro

masonboro Senior Member

Hi everyone,
    I am working on new popper building project.I have only been popping and jigging a couple of years and am learning something new every trip out.I built a few popper's earlier in the year for a trip to Panama because I could not afford prices on popper's I wanted.
    I am now addict and feel I can make my own popper's.If it is made out of wood,I can make it!It is also a challenge to make a lure and catch a Tuna on it. The pictures I am going to post next are a "work in progress".
    Please let me know your thought's and if you have any idea's to make my project work better let me know, please.

2. d-a

d-a Senior Member

David

It would be easier to drill them while there on the lathe and kept centered. Also you can get longer bits too.

and thats cheating too, you need to do it by hand instead of a duplicator

d-a

3. masonboro

masonboro Senior Member

I am having problem's posting picture's in order.
    I hate computer's!!
    But you'll have the idea.

4. masonboro

masonboro Senior Member

d-a, cheating?
    The first one I made by hand, the second, I got smart.
    One more question, How do drill them on the lathe and keep centered?
    Am I missing something?
    You drill them before you put them on the lathe so you can keep them centered.
    Do you know something I do not?

5. nice looking blanks bro and wat a sweet machine i have to turn all mine by hand it takes forever to make half of wat u did...have u ever twisted any up befor? wat wire are u using, hooks ans swivles...i make lots of diff striped bass plugs and gonna start making some tuna plugs also....

jfp

6. d-a, cheating?
    The first one I made by hand, the second, I got smart.
    One more question, How do drill them on the lathe and keep centered?
    Am I missing something?
    You drill them before you put them on the lathe so you can keep them centered.
    Do you know something I do not?

i drill everything after they are sanded and off the lathe best way to stay centered is use a pencil and make a center line in the plug..

7. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

I just looked at all your pictures. You can't drill the hole on the lathe with the live end chuck you are using. You need a faceplate with a hole in it. You enter the drilling bit from the head end of the lathe. It goes thru the hole in the face plate and will travel dead middle of your turning. The bit or shall I say tool is hand held. It looks like a standard turning tool with a wood handle. The turning piece of wood keeps the bit right in the middle of your turning.

That's an interesting duplicator. Using a saw blade for the cutting is effective but slow. It looks like you are having to do multiple passes to complete the job. Sanding off the kerf marks is tedious. It looks like you are using poplar as a wood species. I say this because some blanks looks green and some are white. Poplar isn't real stable but it is inexpensive. Make sure you seal the hole in wiring or get ready for water intrusion and cracking.

8. i use red , white cedar or ayc only for poppers i seal them all after sanding also...maple and other heavier woods for needle fish and other inking type plugs

9. masonboro

masonboro Senior Member

The wood I am using is Teak for the darker colored popper's "show only" amd the lighter colored wood is "Ubicha",it is a relative to "bass wood".
    Ubicha is a soft hardwood and float's very nice.It will also have multiple coat's of "West System Epoxy" for durability and to prevent water damage.Once sealed with "west system" it will have a primer coat of "545 Awlgrip high build primer" before top coat.

10. masonboro

masonboro Senior Member

John, I do not have time to fish,so I work on these in the evening after work. Do you know anybody down there who will build these while we are not building boat's???

11. masonboro

masonboro Senior Member

Mr. Bill, it takes only 7 passes with the blade to produce popper.About 2 minutes.Then I use 80 grit sandpaper on lathe to knock the edge off, then 180 grit to finish. After "Awlgrip" primer I wil finish sand with 320 grit.
    One more thing, I know Mr.Bill about drilling in the lathe, I was just curious about "D-A's" suggestion

12. masonboro

masonboro Senior Member

Joefish,
    On my first try at popper's I used 500lb. stainless steel wire for thru-popper wiring,440 lb. Billfisher ball bearing swivel's and Owner st-66 4/0 and 5/0 hook's.I will post pictures tommorrow.

13. panamasportfishinglodge

panamasportfishinglodge Site Sponsor

John, I do not have time to fish,so I work on these in the evening after work. Do you know anybody down there who will build these while we are not building boat's???

David,
    can't wait to start the first boat , poppers not too sure !

14. masonboro

masonboro Senior Member

I would rather build boat's also! It is less complicated!!!