Pope's Crappie Smackdown

Discussion in 'Freshwater fishing reports' started by Pope, Mar 2, 2008.

1. Pope

Pope Senior Member

Blake and I took a short jaunt to the fish. I had a moment and he was about to explode if we didn't fish. I met a buddy and it took just an hour to put dinner on the table. The crappie are biting, for real! I wish the weather weren't turning. Blake went from soaking bait to fishing artificials last year. He proved himself again this morning.

Attached Files:

2. Bret

Bret Senior Member

good Job Brandon and Blake!!! nice stringer of fish..

3. SkeeterRonnie

SkeeterRonnie Senior Member

awesome! man!... blake is a spitting image of his daddy!! betcha you are a proud papa!! I cant wait to start popping some bobbers for hungry crappies!!

4. Pope

Pope Senior Member

Thanks fellas. I am very proud of my boy. He has endured 4-5ft heads seas on the Phat Cat for over 4 hours, stayed offshore for two days, hunted multiple times in 20ish degree weather, hunted snakes all day in the summer, camped on PINS for 3 days and never complained. He just begs to go fishing, hunting, herping (snake hunting) or whatever I do. He is a champ! I love him more than air.

As for you Ronnie. Get the slip bobber ready! The crappie are waiting....

5. wacker

wacker Senior Member

Right on Brandon! I will remember those day with my son forever. Go do whatever whenever you can.

6. Snagged

Snagged Senior Member

Brandon,
    He is one little trooper and you can be proud of him.

7. Ragman

Ragman Moderator

That second pic is priceless Brandon! His smile matches the saying on his t-shirt...and he's in shorts and dad is in a full parka! LOL

Your and his good times and just beginning!

8. Pope

Pope Senior Member

Thanks again fellas. Yeah, the shirt was fitting. It is mine, but the wind was so tough I had to give it to him. The only thing I had left to put on was the jacket. The wind was incredible yesterday.

9. awesum

awesum Senior Member

Nice stringer ...

I have a Crappie question. I live on the Nueces river below the dam at Lake Corpus Christi. Right now they are catching a lot of Crappie near the dam. I'm wondering if they venture down my way when spawning. I am about 4 miles below the dam.

Guess I could grab a bucket of minners and go find out, huh? :rolleyes:

10. Pope

Pope Senior Member

Nice stringer ...

I have a Crappie question. I live on the Nueces river below the dam at Lake Corpus Christi. Right now they are catching a lot of Crappie near the dam. I'm wondering if they venture down my way when spawning. I am about 4 miles below the dam.

Guess I could grab a bucket of minners and go find out, huh? :rolleyes:

I am sure they do head down the river once they are done. Give me a shout and I wil tell you how to catch them. (817) 714-2886

11. jt2hunt

jt2hunt Senior Member

cool pics and a great son, just don't make him clean those bony things

12. STx Fisherman

STx Fisherman Senior Member

I remember my first fishing trip to Bob Hall Pier with my dad and brothers. I had my own little Penn 9M reel...(I believe that was the model)...and had already practiced casting it out in the street before the trip. I was four years old.
    Fishing has been a part of my life ever since....

Congrats!!

13. awesum

awesum Senior Member

I am sure they do head down the river once they are done. Give me a shout and I will tell you how to catch them. (817) 714-2886

Thanks ....I'm headed up to the big Hemorrhoid to the big fishing show at George R. Brown for Wed. and maybe Thurs. but if/when I decide to give them a shot i'll give you a call.

I've caught bass up to 6½ pounds and catfish up to 10 pounds down there but have never tried for crappie. I'm sure there is a technique.

14. shanker

shanker Senior Member

those Penn No. 9's are AWSOME...I still use the one that my grandfather bought in the 50's and gave to me as a christmas present when I was 7 or 8.

-Patrick

15. SkeeterRonnie

them bony things are good when fried to a nice golden brown :) my favorite fish to eat! catching them is compable to making bait on the Big E.. but up here, thats about the best eating fish around :) you get up this ways, and I will take ya out- bait fishing ! :)

16. SkeeterRonnie

Pope! call me tomorrow! I found some spawing black crappie on Benbrook- right outside the entrance to Benbrook marina on the north bank. they are all up in the bushes in 3-4 of water. stacked in there!!! each bush has 2-3 in it!

17. SkeeterRonnie

i think Pope had another crappie smackdown today ;) i turned him onto a few little critters in a hole thats been held sacred for a couple months now :)

18. Pope

Pope Senior Member

Yeah, we had a smack down. Blake really learned to work the jig today. He is nearly self sufficient. We have a little detail work to be done that can only be learned through practice.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

My shoulder may be out for now, but I can still do the fresh thing. Two things I love to catch up here. Smallmouth and crappie. Shit! I love it! Thanks for the tip Ronnie. I never made it to your hole, but may have blown by them headed to @#$%^&. Can't say where. It would give it away. Never know who is lurking.

19. Pope

Pope Senior Member

Wow, I just saw how much he has changed since last year's creek crappie season. He started artificials last year, grew a few more inches and can work the jigs so much better now that his fine motor skills have been honed. Learning to write helps for working jigs!

20. Snagged

Snagged Senior Member

They grow up too fast, enjoy him while you can. Remember too soon he'll be a teenager!