Polyester Thread?

Discussion in 'Rod Building' started by Jason4606, Aug 19, 2008.

1. Jason4606

Jason4606 Tuna Club member

Is 50wt Polyester an acceptable under or over wrap thread?

2. Billy 40

Billy 40 Senior Member

WHat brand? The only 50 weight I hae used is MAdeira metallics, and it is not suitable for overwraps, under is fine. I have 60wt,which is fine for lighter stuff, but for me I wouldn't use it on overwraps, especially on heavier rods. IT's a NIGHTMARE to wrap and pack since it' sso small.

3. Jason4606

Thanks Billy! My wife uses Polystar 50wt emboidery thread and has ~100 colors in 1000m mini spools. The colors are beautiful and it seems to be very durable for the size... Not trying to be a total cheapskate, but I was curious if it might have a use in rod building.

Thanks again!
    Jason

4. Billy 40

Billy 40 Senior Member

It might, wrap a couple of guides with it and see if you like it. See how strong it is. Apply finish to it, apply CP then finish - test it yourself, that'sthe only way you'll know. Mose embroidery threads are coated with silicone.

5. Jason4606

Great point on the coating.... That's exactly the kind of info I was loking for.
    Thanks again!
    Jason

6. Cudakilla

Cudakilla Senior Member

Silion contamination will really mess up your epoxy if I am not mistaken. Not to mention that some embroidery threads are kinda 'hairy' and makes for interesting bristly effects after epoxing. :) Back when and I mean waaay back when I just started building rods we used sewing and embroidery threads to build rods because that was all we could find. We had to singe the wraps with an alcohol lamp to get the hair out. :)