360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
-- Tackle Ho --
2,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking about building a conventional rod in red. What do you length would you guys like and would you guys like an acid wrap or non acid wrap? Please have a little vote for me so I can build this to the majority liking. :D

Thank you,
Topper.

·
Banned
223 Posts
500B, acid wrap (9 guides), Color should be half red, power spell type grips, some special color weaving, I would like split butt with 22.86 cm exposed blank, length from bottom of reel seat to gimble bottom should be 47cm, i would like the rod to be 167.64 cm overal

That was my special order from JM this week
Cory

·
Site Sponsor
2,892 Posts
I hear seeker is building the 2x4 blank in red ........you can keep acid wrapped rods...But I know a bunch of guys that love them.......

·
Banned
223 Posts
With extrema pressure very large fish can place on a jigging rod I find the spiral wrap respond better, less chance of rod fatigue........... but that's why they make chocolate & vanilla.

·
-- Tackle Ho --
2,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
red blank, ti frame guides, white/red wraps
acid wrap,
7'9" OAL

looks sharp.;) :D

7'9...:eek: :eek: Thank you Paul!

Thank you everyone else. Keep the comment coming!

·
Site Sponsor
4,162 Posts
7'9...:eek: :eek: Thank you Paul!

Thank you everyone else. Keep the comment coming!
well it was a togging rod:D

i got a run of "honey" lamis.

guy comes in..i want a honey lami in red:rolleyes:

damn tog, drives guys crazy:D :D :D

·
969 Posts
In a few weeks I hope to have a new edition OTI 600g Conv. rod and a custom OTI 600g Acid Wrap Conv. rod. (made my TAZ575).

It will be nice to have basically the same rods one acid, one regular, side by side. I hope to do a thorough comparison and report back.

John

·
1,657 Posts
If making it myself, I wouldn't waste time with anything but acid wrapped. If I was going to do regular, I would just by a stock rod.

Acid rules. For one, the rod loads naturally with the weight of the fish. Second, when mechanical jigging, the line wont tip wrap nearly as much. I have often wondered if line tip wrapping is the underlying cause for many rod failures up near the tip.

G

·
ha...well i presume you mean offshore then????

i do like long rods. 6'6"+........7'6" is a nice length for most....8' is even good for some things. my go to rod is the 7'6" 80lb oti rod. acid or not? your call. this rod is not and i dont complain about it. but i understand the reasons for it. while there are great one piece blanks, if you plan on traveling, it really is nice to get a 2-piece.

i dont like split rear grips personally.........long, heavy rear grip.........normal foregrip........nice gimbal :)

·
Tuna Club member
879 Posts
Guessing this will be a medium/heavy rod, ~350-500g, for tuna, AJ, etc?

It should either be a long yo-yo jigger or a short speed jigger. (not a "compromise" rod IMHO) I like 7'-7'6" for yo-yo, and 5'-5'6" for speed jigging. And my favorite seems to be right around 5'2", not sure why...

I'd spiral wrap if it's a parabolic blank, and conventional wrap if it's faster action. A static deflection will help with this.

Jason

·
1,334 Posts
I would go with a 7' Hercules rod, spiral wrapped, trimmed to a 9 tip size. Light enough tip to launch lighter stuff, but beefy enough to handle 500gr jigs, can be railed, and handles big drag! Should take care of pretty much anything you get into!

·
1,646 Posts
long, heavy rear grip.........normal foregrip........nice gimbal :)
Sounds like someone knows some physics. A heavy rear grip makes the tip feel lighter. :D

For jigging from a private boat (or anything but a party boat) I like short rods. I like them right around 5'8"-5'10". Acid wrap that thing...and you are in business!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts