Pliers ?

Discussion in 'Tackle and Rigging' started by turfman, Sep 8, 2008.

1. turfman

turfman Member

Any lines on a set of pliers with a side cutter that I don't have to spend $150 on.

Had a nice pair of Brownings, but they somehow took a ride this past week.

Thoughts appreciated

2. kidflex

kidflex Senior Member

nice pliers are worth the money. i have the brownings and they rust. the bass pro brand is terrible, cutters suck! i have the accurate pliers and it is they way to go. 159.00 though. fish pond makes a nice set called the barracuda, best looking pliers imo. 129.00 . pay the money, well worth it, you wont be disappointed.

3. JerseyBrian

JerseyBrian Senior Member

Brian - I like the FishPond Barracudas too, but I found another pair of pliers that I like better ;) However, they are in the $150 range that turfman didn't want...

4. Cudakilla

Cudakilla Senior Member

I had 2 pairs of brownings. ended giving them away. They are heavy and the cutters rust and gets blunt quick. I also have the Accurate Pirahnas. Damn nice pliers I tell you but after some light use the tip of the jaws would not meet enough to grip 45 lb single strand wire or wire hooks. Tried adjusting everything to no avail. Suggestions?? I really like these pliers.

I now use the Donmar titanium ones with the side cutters. A bit expensive but real light. I hope they hold up well.

Those fishpond barracudas look nice. I like the fact that they are spring loaded. Might give one a try.

5. kidflex

kidflex Senior Member

jersey brian- which pliers are you talking about.

i will use my accurates till im disatisfied. if i have to get another pair i will try the van staals.

6. hatidua

hatidua Senior Member

Donnmar 880Ti's for me. Tried the rest, finally found the perfect plier for me.

7. kidflex

kidflex Senior Member

yeah ,the fishpond pliers are very nice looking. i held one and is super light, i did read that the cutters were not that effective for smaller braided line though.

havent tried the donnmar's. might give one a look.

8. LEXPRO

LEXPRO Senior Member

I use shimano baysteel, i really like them...

9. BAOSABI

BAOSABI Senior Member

IMO the Barracuda pliers are not made very well. (poor quality control)
    I've looked at 3 pairs at the local BSP and all 3 had issues. The 1st one I picked up, the cutters were not even lined up. The 2nd one couldn't cut through 30lb. sufix braid. The last one finally cut through the braided line but not a clean cut. I tried cutting the line again with more pressure and one side of the cutters shattered. This is not something you would expect from a $150 pair of pliers.

I use the Pirahnas and am satisfy so far.

Have you guys had any problems with the rubber grips delaminating from the handle on the Donmars pliers?

10. Jason4606

Jason4606 Tuna Club member

What about Calcutta aluminum pliers? They're a little under $100... Has anybody tried them??
    ----------------------------
    Never mind... Look the same as BPS.

11. obtuseangler

obtuseangler Junior member

I have a pair of the accurates and they are very nice, light and will cut braid cleanly as long as the cutting blades are properly aligned. Good but pricey.

I also have had a pair of manley pliers for 18 years, they still cut braid cleanly and last forever. Low on the bling factor however :D simply the best buy if you are looking for a tool and not trying to make a fashion statement.

$35 bucks plus $12 for a holster

12. TeamOso

TeamOso Senior Member

13. JerseyBrian

I also have had a pair of manley pliers for 18 years, they still cut braid cleanly and last forever. Low on the bling factor however :D simply the best buy if you are looking for a tool and not trying to make a fashion statement.

$35 bucks plus $12 for a holster

Mike, where did you find the Manley's holster?

14. obtuseangler

obtuseangler Junior member

Mike, where did you find the Manley's holster?

Brian,

Actually the original sheath is long gone, but I replaced it with one made by ripoffs. Same price or less, durable with a belt clip and heavy duty velcro strap to keep your tool(s) secure. They come in a variety of sizes to hold one or more tools.

Google ripoffs tool sheath and you'll find lots of sources.

15. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

I don't think there is a good pair of "Inexpensive" pliers on the market. If you want a pair to last, you have to pull out your wallet. I use all of the below.
    I also own some Manley's but can't find them.:mad:

Attached Files:

16. turfman

turfman Member

I don't think there is a good pair of "Inexpensive" pliers on the market. If you want a pair to last, you have to pull out your wallet. I use all of the below.
    I also own some Manley's but can't find them.:mad:

Ok whats the pipe strap for.

17. JerseyBrian

MR Bill - what size are those Van Staals? the 6 inch models? How do they fit with your hands? :eek:

18. Uncle Russ

Uncle Russ Senior Member

MrBill: When Barack Obama becomes POTUS, you will have to share those pliers with those of us less fortunate than you are--in other words, those of us who chose to spend our money on other stuff. :) Don't think of it as "re-distribution of plier wealth"--just try to think of it as "being neighborly with your pliers." Sort of a "Windfall Tax on Pliers". :D

Russ

19. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

Ok whats the pipe strap for.

Keeps the locking rings from getting marred up by large pliers. You can really lock down on a reel with the Rigid strap tool.

Attached Files:

20. Fishhead56

Fishhead56 Senior Member

I heard a Strap wrench could be also used so the Cat can scratch the other side.:eek:

I just know that, ,,,From hear say,,

As I don't allow cat's in my house.

Just Sayin and all.

21. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

MR Bill - what size are those Van Staals? the 6 inch models? How do they fit with your hands? :eek:

Let me just say they are to small.:eek:

Attached Files: