360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
2,287 Posts
I was kind of amazed reading some posts where "softness" of line was mentioned in the context that it was. For optimum distance casting the more supple (soft) the line is, the farther it will cast and that is a fact. For all of my fellow fish heads here that don't think this is true, swap out your stiff line for a more supple one, same ABS etc, and then cast the same lure you were using with the stiff line, you will see a difference in distance. Using metered line lets you determine casting distance accurately rather than depending on the eyeball guestimate.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I was kind of amazed reading some posts where "softness" of line was mentioned in the context that it was. For optimum distance casting the more supple (soft) the line is, the farther it will cast and that is a fact. For all of my fellow fish heads here that don't think this is true, swap out your stiff line for a more supple one, same ABS etc, and then cast the same lure you were using with the stiff line, you will see a difference in distance. Using metered line lets you determine casting distance accurately rather than depending on the eyeball guestimate.
Hmm., Supple line causes wind knots and the line slack during the cast can cause the PE to wrap around guides when conditions are windy. Coating for heat resistance , longivity, abrasion resistance, make the PE slightly stiffer as well. Supple PE more often than not are cheaper because these coatings are not used. Casting distance is not affected much becuse stiffer PE tends to travel through guides straighter without as much line slack.

High end braid tend to use coating making for a stiffer PE .
For Tuna GT, most of us where I live use Varivas SMP, YGK, and/or Ocea 8 exclusively for this reason.

tight lines!

21 - 24 of 24 Posts