360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need a best setup for popping and target GOM yellowfin tuna (up to 100lb), could you please recommend your best line setup (best braided line and leader line)? thanks.

·
2,287 Posts
Like other have said, my go to braids for stick baits and popping are Power Pro HC and JB HC. The reason I've been using them is the higher breaking strength, i.e. the #80 has a higher breaking strength than the #100 for each brand, and I spool the larger size reels with them getting around 450 yards on a 20K reel. The Seaguar #50 has a breaking strength of about #80 and I spool the smaller 8 - 10 K reels with it for more line capacity. Diawa J Braid 8 is another good choice for smaller reels, #30 J Braid 8 has a breaking strength of about #50. Shimano Ocea 8 is another good choice as well as Ocean Silk, these are PE lines of high strength and small diameter and will give you the extra casting distance, but you need to pay attention to avoid loose line on the spools or you will find yourself untangling some mean wind knots as well as losing the occasional lure when the wind knot pops the line.

Keep in mind that they type of reel as well as the physical characteristics of the rod will impact casting distance.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Sufix 832 advanced Braid 65lb or 80lb
Penn Slammer 8500 65lb Braid
Penn Slammer 10500 80lb Braid

Shimano Grappler C rod 8'2" X Heavy
Seaguar Fluorocarbon Blue
80lb
60lb
50lb
Depending on the size of the Tuna's and how leader shy they might be, you adjust accordingly.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you all for sharing! (y)(y)
I have used JB hollow core but my experience is that its castability is not the best compared with ygk and power pro maxcuatro. ygk is too expensive. does anyone have experience with power pro maxcuatro?

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
I've really been enjoying using the Varivas Avani on a couple reels over the last 2 years myself. It casts really well, and the white line is easy to see in the dark. Have PE6 on the 14k, and PE3 on the 6k. When the bite was slow to non existent on a recent trip and the bow was clear of any other fisherman, the PE3 rod came out to play and accounted for a nice 75lb yft.

I've also used daiwa boat braid with great results, and Suffix 832 has been great on baitcasters and jigging gear over the years.

·
Registered
50 Posts
IF you want a cheaper casting braid, try Shimano's Grappler 8. Its an 8 braid with heat protective coating similar to the higher end Ocea 8. I caught the yft (30kg) in my pic on Grappler8 PE 6. The PE6 has an avg breaking strength of 100lbs so its pretty strong stuff.

Half the price of Ocea 8, Varivas SMP, Oddsport, etc. The downside is castability. Its a bit softer than the higher end PE's, so you lose maybe 5~ or so meters.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Used to be a long time fan of Sufix 832 but I’ve gone all over to Power Pro V2 for my spinning gear. It’s a great line. And I think best of all I don’t seem to need finger tape with that line. Still haven’t gotten sliced.

·
Just a guy who likes to fish
3,199 Posts
Wow! No one uses Daiwa Boat Braid any more? Used to be pretty standard around here. It's pretty much all I use for solid braid jigging and popping. GOM you can use 55, 70, or 80 lb test. Izorline solid will give you one of the the thinnest diameter to breaking strength ratios out there. I use JB HC for when popping for bluefin tuna.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Wow! No one uses Daiwa Boat Braid any more? Used to be pretty standard around here. It's pretty much all I use for solid braid jigging and popping. GOM you can use 55, 70, or 80 lb test. Izorline solid will give you one of the the thinnest diameter to breaking strength ratios out there. I use JB HC for when popping for bluefin tuna.
its old stuff. The newer braids are thinner, stronger, and less pliable

·
Just a guy who likes to fish
3,199 Posts
its old stuff. The newer braids are thinner, stronger, and less pliable
I've yet to find a newer braid I like better for jigging. A popular recommendation is Daiwa J braid. It is not thinner than DBB. I'd say cheaper, not better.

Another example is yozuri super braid. I've seen a number of recommendations for it for spj. Can't find any in metered. It's not as soft as DBB. Doesn't hold an FG type knot as well. Also, put it on my surf casting reels and started getting mysterious break offs when casting. No thanks. Switched over to Izorline.

I do like the Seaguar threadlock. Stuff is easy to thread once you get in. Good breaking strength on the 50 (80-90 lb). But it is a hollow as well, not a solid.

·
1,006 Posts
I've yet to find a newer braid I like better for jigging. A popular recommendation is Daiwa J braid. It is not thinner than DBB. I'd say cheaper, not better.
I like DBB as well, reasonably priced and it’s soft vs J braid. Maybe it’s me only, I get lots of wind knot J braid but not so much DBB.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts