Please help with jig set up

Discussion in 'Suggestions & feedback' started by rance, Mar 3, 2009.

1. rance

rance Senior Member

I am going on a YFT trip out of port a. I have purchased several of the williamson 7 1/2 oz. speed jigs. They come with assist hooks already set up. I understand the setup from floro leader to top of jig, but don't know how to set up hook off of the bottom of the jig. Was considering 7/0 stinger assist hook with shroud around stinger for bottom hook.Don't know if this is way off base. If it is not off base , would I put from bottom, in this order,split ring to sold ring, and then stinger assist through sollid ring? Any help on bottom hook setup would be greatly appreciated. THANKS RANCE!

2. lordhell

lordhell Moderator

3. bigscrnman

bigscrnman Senior Member

I am telling you, G-MAN needs to write a book, I will buy the first 100 copies!!!

4. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

You don't need the bottom hook when speed jigging, in fact, having the bottom hook will likely result in the bottom hook hanging onto your leader. Goto this link and read gman's tutorial on how to jig:

That is not true.

5. A.whitman

A.whitman Senior Member

i use a bottom hook for some applications. like on hooker jigs. they seem to really benefit from the rear treble hook. grouper love them. however there isnt a need for a second hook on that jig. maybe a second hook on the bottom of the 300 or 400g versions but i rarely do that.

6. gman

gman Senior Member

For speed jigging I don't use a trailer hook but that is me, not neccisarily text book. Some very well known jiggers from overseas us a treble hook for jigging dogtooth tuna or regular tuna.

Where I see the value of a trailer or bottom hook is bouncing bottom for grouper, in this scenario a trailer hook/bottom hook works great on a seven seas revolver or a seven seas hooker as most grouper will hit on the fall therefore having a bottom hook increases your chances of hookup

7. Eastern Tackle

Eastern Tackle Senior Member

I am going on a YFT trip out of port a. I have purchased several of the williamson 7 1/2 oz. speed jigs. They come with assist hooks already set up. I understand the setup from floro leader to top of jig, but don't know how to set up hook off of the bottom of the jig. Was considering 7/0 stinger assist hook with shroud around stinger for bottom hook.Don't know if this is way off base. If it is not off base , would I put from bottom, in this order,split ring to sold ring, and then stinger assist through sollid ring? Any help on bottom hook setup would be greatly appreciated. THANKS RANCE!

For 100lb tuna last weekend, we used only the assist hooks. You only need the one on top, not one on the bottom and top. That just leads to foul ups. One hook only, unless dropping 500+ ft for super deep drop.

8. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

Have you experimented assist hooks on the bottom of jigs ?
    I think most guys use assist hook on top of a jigs mainly because other fishermen use it that way and they are taught to be used that way.
    If you say you get less bites when you use assist hook on the bottom of a jig, I am surprised.
    I don't use assist hooks at all when I use short jigs becaue I firmly believe it doesn't make any difference.

9. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

I havent posted anything about it, since the speed jigging/japanese style/jerk and crank/whatever you want to call it jigging is the latest craze. it works great, don't get me wrong and at times outproduces other methods. you just never know.

however, especially here in the GOM, i strongly believe that slow jigging produces more YFT bites than speed jigging. If you want to catch blackfin, then go ahead and jig fast. if you want more yellowfin, slow down. in this case, i always put a hook on the bottom, and generally i just attach it to the swivel (if using a siwash) of a hammered diamond jig, or put a split ring on the swivel if i'm using a different style hook like a jigging hook tha doesn't have an open eye. no hook up top at all. ive done far better on YF with this setup than on other setups.

with bottom fishing (grouper, snapper, seabass) - hook on the bottom of the jig....never really given a top assist hook a try, because putting the hook on the bottom made more sense to me. Thats not to say it doesn't work - just that a regular hook on the bottom has always worked great for me.

again, this is just my opinion, not 'gospel' by any means. for the speed jigging, reading glenn's "tutorial" is a really good idea. he has a ton of great information in there thats really helpful.

10. tacklejunkie

tacklejunkie Member

Do you think its better to use a stout treble on the bottom of something
    like an 8 oz. diamond jig rather than a swinging assist hook at the top when
    jigging for tuna at the floaters?
    There has been much posted about the virtues of
    the trebles and the lessened fighting times when using poppers, do you
    think the same would hold true when jigging?

11. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

generally i like an 8/0 siwash, but trebles work too. you can put a jigging hook on it as well like Kil posted in his pic on another thread.

as long as the hook is strong enough, it will work. don't be afraid of big hooks either, the fish don't mind.