Pinnacle Marine Outfitters

Discussion in 'Tackle and Rigging' started by CTBFT, Mar 6, 2007.

1. CTBFT

CTBFT Guest

Does anyone here know anything about Pinnacle Marine Outfitters? I found this company on e-bay selling rods made with Pacific Bay Components. According to Pac Bay, Pinnacle Marine is in San Antonio. I have had only partial success communicating with someone name John, who seems reluctant to answer specific questions. Any experience? Any Comments? Thanks.

2. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

I live in SA. I've never seen Pinnacle Marine. Trust me, if it is marine, I know about it.

3. SkeeterRonnie

SkeeterRonnie Senior Member

his reviews look good on ebay....never heard of them though.

4. Drifter

Drifter Senior Member

I puchased one of his rods two years ago for a Trini 50. Rod Specs: 5"6', 60-100lb, all rollers. Cost was about $100. I've used it about 20 times for bottom fishing. I clean my rods and use Real Magic - all rollers still work good. For the price, I'm very satisfied.

Of course it's no Calstar Gftr or Super Seeker but it's about $300 cheaper! Now why did I buy the Super Seekers .......:confused:

5. CTBFT

CTBFT Guest

Thanks to everyone for your input. I'm left a little skeptical. When I returned to e-bay, the auction for the rods had been terminated early ("...no longer for sale.") and three more e-mail inquiries asking about the rods were not answered. I think these rogue rod builders with prices too good to be true are not the way to go. I'm going back to plan A and custom build my own with known components from a reputable supplier. Probably Donart. Good Fishing...

6. txseadog

txseadog Moderator

Thanks to everyone for your input. I'm left a little skeptical. When I returned to e-bay, the auction for the rods had been terminated early ("...no longer for sale.") and three more e-mail inquiries asking about the rods were not answered. I think these rogue rod builders with prices too good to be true are not the way to go. I'm going back to plan A and custom build my own with known components from a reputable supplier. Probably Donart. Good Fishing...

I've used Donart a couple of times and thought they were great.

7. CTBFT

CTBFT Guest

Yeah, that was my impression of Donart as well. They have a phone number and an address. They answer your questions and provide all the information on their products. And they give good no-nonsense advice. Hmm...what am I doing on e-bay?

8. paul708

paul708 Site Sponsor

did you try merrick or anglers workshop? they have alot of stuff..service is usually pretty good

9. SkeeterRonnie

SkeeterRonnie Senior Member

check out the BarBAr tackle on ebay. pretty neat. the rods fish on the light side of the rating.

10. DavidT

DavidT Junior member

I know this is an old post but John's stuff is way better then the other rods mentioned. I own several Super Seekers and several Calstar's. His Jiggers made mince meat out of YFT... 80 to 90lbs. AJ's.... I have a electric reel that bring up Golden tile in the triplets.... like nothing.

John knows his stuff and it is priced so you do not have to waste an extra 400 to 500 on giving the middle man a offshore fishing trip on YOU....

ReelMe likes this.
  11. siloverhawk1

siloverhawk1 Active Member

They are on THT good rods , good value

12. RedPhish

RedPhish Active Member

Agreed! Have a pair of 165XSR 60-100lb rods and they are great for my needs (Wahoo HST and big sharks).

John is readily available by phone when he's not out fishing and I found his knowledge of his line and applications for various fisheries excellent. We were able to narrow down exactly what I needed in a few minutes, and I couldn't be happier with the rods.

The fact that this is a 10 year old thread might be a good testament to his longevity in a very difficult industry to survive in, and with a strong following. I see used Pinnacle Marine rods go up on THT for sale and they are almost always sold within a day or two (if not hours).

13. day0ne

day0ne Senior Member

I certainly like the ones I have

14. CC711

CC711 New Member

I placed my 1st order today with John he was excellent. I ordered 4 XR Pro Series Rods 30-80 that I plan to use Talica 50s on I have heard nothing but great things about these Rods. I will find out soon enough.

15. Striker Tackle

Striker Tackle Sponsors

I have 2 pinnacle rods and they are great.

16. CC711

CC711 New Member

What Models?

17. Striker Tackle

Striker Tackle Sponsors

XR Fuji with ALPS RX-M Roller top

18. CC711

CC711 New Member

Ok So they are deep drop Rods. Very nice.

19. CC711

CC711 New Member

Just received 4 new Rods XR Pro Series blue & silver 30-80 2 bent butt 2 straight all I can say is WOW WOW WOW. Can't wait to fish them thanks John & thanks for the gift.

Capt. Chris