Pigs..

Discussion in 'HUNTING' started by PiePuncher, Dec 1, 2006.

1. PiePuncher

PiePuncher Senior Member

Odd question but is it legal to shoot wild pigs and leave them for dead? I have a friend that went out yesterday to shoot some pigs and it just sounds wrong to shoot them and do nothing with them..????...

2. Jason_L

Jason_L Guest

I dont think there is any law saying you must harvest them,seeing how there is actually no season for them. You should tell your friend to sell peopel the chance to kill them and keep them. He makes some money,and the pig doesn't go to waste.

3. SkeeterRonnie

SkeeterRonnie Senior Member

i figure it depends on if they are destructive or not. If they are destroying your fields that you rely on to feed your animals.. then yes. They should be moved, or destroyed.

If they are of no harm and doing no damage, then I see it as a waste of game.

Parents always told me I WAS GOING TO EAT whatever I killed. I dont trophy hunt, and could care less about killing a huge buck- but will kill any size deer if I need meat. And for me its cheaper to buy cow meat.

It is possible to trap wild pig, and sell them. I have helped do this, and I DO know the anger a pig posseses... Watched a sow break off all her teeth trying to bite me thru the cage.. WOW!

4. Bret

Bret Senior Member

TPWD has deemed them a nuisance animal. No license needed, no limit. kill as many as you like and let em lay if you want. sure its wasteful to some, but to the farmers and ranchers they destroy pastures and crops faster than they can fix em or harvest them. I have a friend with over 10,000acres in S tex, that hires out helicopters before the mesquite blooms and they have killed as many as 400 in a day and it still doesn't make much of a difference.
    Lots of people trap them and sell them, I know of a couple of places in E. Tex that have quit taking them as the market has been saturated with the feral pork and have no where to go with it. We Eat all we can and kill the rest..

5. PiePuncher

PiePuncher Senior Member

Thanks Bret. I know my buddy just loves to shoot anything that moves and I asked him what he was doing with all these pigs and animals. His response was, just leaving them. That is just sorry. I figure if you kill it, eat it!!! He shoots bunnys, pigs and as I stated, anything that moves..... LOL Thanks guys

6. Bret

Bret Senior Member

sounds like your buddy aint much of a sportsman.... killing just to kill. to each his own. Pigs are one thing...... but the bunnys.... Jade might have something to say to him about that.... Speaking of pigs.. I am headed out the door to try and way lay some more pigs... The damn things have learned that they can shake all of the corn out of the feeders... They can empty 300lbs in a night.. and eat nearly all of it..... So We gotta do something about that.....

Does anyone want any fresh Pork???? Bob called and has 4 hanging in the tree and the trap is set...
    I will be bringing back mucho.....

7. Pope

Pope Senior Member

Pigs are a nuinance to the environment at large. They are an invasive species and should be destroyed. Your buddy does sound like he needs to grow a *****. Killing indiscriminately just to kill something is ridiculous. That said, I kill every pig I see when I have a weapon and they feed the vultures most of the time. I have a reason though. They kill everything they can eat (native plants, invertebrates, vertebrates) and ruin habitat for things meant to be there. I HATE PIGS! I would like to jetison every pig into the sun!

8. txseadog

txseadog Moderator

Makes me wonder, do tuna like pork? Just imagine how much chum we could get from one of those big boars....

9. Pope

Pope Senior Member

Tuna like coots. I found that out once...Didn't mean to sound so harsh earlier.

10. STx Fisherman

STx Fisherman Senior Member

If you shoot a wild pig and leave it....you'll be feeding the other pigs.
    Harvest them and make some sausage...or give it away would be my recommendation to your friend.

11. Uncle Russ

Uncle Russ Senior Member

Bret and Pope are absolutely correct: there is absolutely no law (and, in my opinion, no moral sanction) against killing them on sight. My Great Great grandfather and his fellow settlers introduced them into Lavaca County in the 1840's and ran them on mast, and rounded them up in winter like cattle. When I was a kid in the 50's and 60's, you never saw one--my theory is that their numbers were cut down because they were eating the same poison put out by the gubmint for coyotes. When that stopped, I started noticing both species coming back.

Anyway, I now run about a hundred head of cattle and we can't grow hay because of the wallows they dig in the improved grass fields. I let a couple of my worthless buddies (some of whom read this board--you know who you are!) hunt deer in return for killing the damned hogs. So far, they have concentrated on the deer and not done their job on the hogs.

To those of you who believe in the absolute rule that all good hunters eat what they shoot and who think it is wrong to leave them lie, while I have to agree that I had never thought about the angle that that just feeds the rest of them, I will say this: Although nothing tastes better than young feral hogs, I will be glad to cut a chunk off the rear end of one of the 250-400 pounders on my place sometime and give it to you--just so long as you don't cook it in my 5-county area! The smell will change life on earth as we know it. :)

Russ

12. Bret

Bret Senior Member

13. SkeeterRonnie

SkeeterRonnie Senior Member

Thanks for the hookup on the Microwave Bret!! Nice!. .... Ol "Dances with Pigs" sounds like he did some dancing before you got there! Nice job. The little ones are quite tasty thrown on the smoker.. them big hogs are Nasty, dangerous creatures. I have seen them tear up a 10 acre field in one night! so bad you couldnt DRIVE thru it! ~~Lock and Load!!! Land preservation time!

I grew up in Weatherford hunting rabbits- my first kill. Fried rabbit, rabbit stew, chicken fried rabbit... its some GOOD eating(just have to wait after the first freeze to get the bugs out of em). They are a TON easier to clean them them ol tree rats(squirrels). Dont care for squirrel too much, but I do love me some cotton tail.....

reminds me- you know why bunnies dont make noise when they copulate??? Cause they have "cottonballs" HA!!!

14. Uncle Russ

Uncle Russ Senior Member

SkeeterRonnie: Many years ago, when I was a teenager, I had a step-grandmother who was from Germany. She was a sweet little old lady, except the fact that she had a copy of Mein Kampf on the shelf seemed a little weird to me.

Anyway, she asked me to bring her a "big old rabbit" from the ranch so she could make a dish from the old country, called "hassenpfeffer". I tried to tell her she really didn't want that, but she kept after me, so I finally popped one for her--a really huge old jackrabbit. I skinned and gutted the thing and lugged it back to San Antonio for her. She clucked a lot about how tough it looked (I swear to you, the backstraps and hams looked like Arnold Schwartzenneger after a stiff steroid injection). But she ended up putting it in a pot with a bunch of veggies and gravy, and cooked it for what seemed like about 8 hours. When it came out, you could still barely cut it. She never asked me for another one.

Let's just say, this sucker didn't have cottonballs--more like titanium. Had it gotten lucky with a lady cottontail, the noise would have been more like a cotton gin exploding.

You know, I never told anyone this before, but when I shot that thing, it charged me. I swear. Luckily, I had a .30/06 and was able to keep my cool, and I put 3 more rounds into it before it landed at my feet, stone dead with a snarl still on it's face. I strapped it to the left fender of my forty-eight Chevy for the ride back home.

You just don't see them like that any more. I suspect that they all interbred with the sow feral hogs. I know that no matter what Al Gore may say, they were too tough to have succumbed to global warming.

Russ

15. Bill Fisher

Bill Fisher Senior Member

16. Uncle Russ

Uncle Russ Senior Member

Bill Fisher,

You don't know how close you came to real danger. My wife is a real cat-lover, and I was able to Alt-Tab out of your post just as she walked in to look over my shoulder. :)

I guess one use would be to rig one like blue runner and troll it for Marlin.

Russ

17. Bret

Bret Senior Member

Bill Fisher,

guess one use would be to rig one like blue runner and troll it for Marlin.

Russ

Uncle Russ, I will bring you a piggy to try it with.. Bob just called and we have 2 sows, 2 piglets and a pretty big boar in the trap.... Would you like that rigged with mono,flouro,or wire???... oh yeah, circle hooks or J ?? and where would you like it delivered?????LOL

Anyone have any claymore mines laying around.. I think I can get between 40-60 in a 50yr radius...at one time..... Its getting out of hand up there.. We hadnt seen a pig in 4 yrs.. until this fall and we are plumb eat up with them... They broke all of the legs off of one of the feeders and rolled the damn thing clear across our wheat field. ok enough ranting.. I will kill as many as I can this weekend... 12ga-extended tube 9shot pump with OOBuck....

18. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

Bret,
    Sounds like you really have a pig problem. Just shoot those suckers with a pistol in the head that you trap. Dig a pit and pour diesel on the carcasses and fired it up. Iv'e seen this done on many ranches with pig problems. Trapping is really the best method.

19. PiePuncher

PiePuncher Senior Member

Yeah, my bud needs to grow up a bit. He also still thinks you can win an argument with a woman????????!!!!!!!!!! When will he ever learn??? Oh well, some of us never grow up and some of us just dont care. I love shooting and hunting is fun, especially when hunting with friends but I dont care to kill anything just to kill it. Bret, sounds like you and bob have been having some fun. Its always nice to get out of the city and enjoy a little down time. Those small pigs you cooked at Popes were good.

Keith

20. Uncle Russ

Uncle Russ Senior Member

Bret: I wasn't talking about piggies...I was talking about cats. :)

One possibility would be to go ahead and dig the hole, pop the piggies and push them into it. Throw in some scraps of titanium and heavy foil and really burn the hell out of the whole pile. Fake some tank tracks around the edge of the hole, then call the local news channel and tell them you have just witnessed a flying saucer crash. Yeah, eventually you will be found out, but you can then claim it was a coverup by the government. There is certain to be a book in it and I will guarantee that 20 plus percent of the U.S. population will believe you. Hell, you might even move to New England and get elected to public office.:)

Russ

21. Bret

Bret Senior Member

Bret: I wasn't talking about piggies...I was talking about cats. :)

One possibility would be to go ahead and dig the hole, pop the piggies and push them into it. Throw in some scraps of titanium and heavy foil and really burn the hell out of the whole pile. Fake some tank tracks around the edge of the hole, then call the local news channel and tell them you have just witnessed a flying saucer crash. Yeah, eventually you will be found out, but you can then claim it was a coverup by the government. There is certain to be a book in it and I will guarantee that 20 plus percent of the U.S. population will believe you. Hell, you might even move to New England and get elected to public office.:)

Russ

Oh,, well we have some feral cats out there as well. But they have been keeping the mice out of camp, so I will leave them alone. for now..

Now that is a good Idea... do you think it would be a good Idea to be wearing a tin foil hat when the tv crew shows up to interview us and see the crater left from the flying saucer??
    too many skeletons hanging around in my closet to be in public office...LOL>