Pics of blanks loaded up

Discussion in 'Rod Building' started by Billy 40, Apr 25, 2008.

1. Billy 40

Billy 40 Senior Member

I have an honest question for you guys - when you pull on blanks or hang weights from them, what are you trying to see? I've seen people lifting 50#'s - is the point to show the blank doesn't break? The lifting power of the blank (which won't matter since the drag won't be set at 50#'s), the action?

Wouldn't seeing pictures of a rod with the jig weight, as well as the blank loaded up with max drag wieght hanging be more helpful?

This is a 20-40# rod with 20#'s hanging off the tip - there is nothing which helps you seeing something like this, correct?

Attached Files:

2. paul708

paul708 Site Sponsor

its just so much fun to do
    and we are bored:D

a lot of the "hardcore" rods hardly bend with he jig weight of 300g hanging

actually being a builder i HATE to see guys doing it
    but its fun
    and you can get to see the different action of rods loaded
    like the travella with weight you can see how "soft" they are compared to others
    and you can see the parabolic bend of some of the better jigging rods
    and its fun:D

is the weight off the ground with that 20-40?

3. Billy 40

Billy 40 Senior Member

Yeah, the weight is off the ground by like an inch. The knot for the loop to the weight is actually between the tip & first guide. I had the weight on a stool, and would reel up as close as I could, then lower the weight to the floor - covering my face becase I was expecting the rod to explode, lol. Roy deadlifted 40#'s with the one rated 40-60#, which I though was more 20-50# at best.

I updated my site with the blanks flexing with weight hanging, the lightest of the 4' blanks (30-50# trolling) handled 30#'s without batting an eye, and was asking for at least 15#'s more, lol.

http://northeastrodbuilders.com/blankflex.html

4. STx Fisherman

STx Fisherman Senior Member

One of the things that people look at when loading a rod is to see if the line bottoms out, (touches the blank or grips under load).

That rod appears to be bottoming out with 20 lbs. of pressure on the line. I wouldn't use that particular rod for heavy duty fishing, (i.e. yellowfin tuna, large amberjack, etc.). Testing the strength of the rod is another reason that people put a load on them. Mr. Bill mentioned once that he tests all of his rods prior to using them. He would rather they break at home rather than while fighting a 278 lb. yellowfin tuna. (I don't know where I got the 278 lbs. from...but you get the picture).

5. SkeeterRonnie

SkeeterRonnie Senior Member

278# tuna ?????? (jerry! quit drooling!.. LOL!! )

[​IMG]

6. Snagged

Snagged Senior Member

You sister or wife Ronnie?

7. SkeeterRonnie

next wife!!! wont have to worry about leaving her home and going fishing :) lots of warmth for the winter and shade in the summer!

8. STx Fisherman

Man....I may not be able to see for a week.....

9. Billy 40

Billy 40 Senior Member

Great job turnign a HOTTIE thread...into a NOTTIE thread. Thanks, you just saved me $5 for a couple of slices of pizza.

The line touched the grip, not the blank, the camera angle was above the rod. Still, I did not static deflect the rod to test for 20#'s, adn I admit the guids are not placed well - this was my first rod in this style, and I learned a lot.

Also keep in mind, you should NOT have any rod pointed at that angle while fighting a fish. Take a ruler and place it in line with teh PVC rodholer, and you will see jus thow much that rod was bent. Tha tis NOT A rod to be used for heavy duty fishing, I 100% agree. Ergo the 20-40# rating (5-10#'s of drag, unless you jigging people don't abide by the 1/4 rule, which I asume you don't)

10. graya

graya Junior member

i have built one jigging rod on a Phenix blank 5'9" rated 20-40 this blank can dead lift 40 pounds of the ground i built to lift 15-20 pounds of the ground i spaced the guides accordingly so it would not touch the blank or forgrip i think with these new generation of blanks you have the option to do that i wont fish this rod with 15-20 i will probably fish it 12-15 pounds of drag max but i know i could button down the drag more if need too i am working on a Phenix rod now that is rated 10-30 i cutted down to 5' i will be able to lift 20 pound dead weight of the ground these are fast taper blanks but have the ability to flex if they are made to fish heavier drags.

[​IMG]

11. d-a

d-a Senior Member

Billy

do you have any pics of the dragon loaded up?

d-a

12. DeepBlueGulf

DeepBlueGulf Senior Member

Oh my eyes!!!! owwww!

Ronnie, post up some of your wife to make things right!

dbg

13. Snagged

Snagged Senior Member

Oh my eyes!!!! owwww!

Ronnie, post up some of your wife to make things right!

dbg
    That is his wife. :D

14. SkeeterRonnie

LOL!! thats what wedding cake does to pretty wives!!

15. STx Fisherman

Hey Skeeter,

Have you ever tried loading a rod by lifting your girlfriend? Looks like she could possibly bottom out a rod or two. :D

16. newman

newman Guest

Ronnie you are so WRONG!

17. Billy 40

Billy 40 Senior Member

do you have any pics of the dragon loaded up?

I had the Dragons & Beasts shipped to California for the West Coast Rod Building Show May 3rd. Hopefully they will sell at teh show, but if not when I get back to NY I will have dead lift tests with them and all the other GUSA's I have. And all the new ones which are soon to be on the market - mostly Composites in varying lengths and weights.

18. Billy 40

Billy 40 Senior Member

Do you have any other angle shots of your wife? I think Kil's new 4'8 OTI rod could be hiding in one of those rolls on her back.

19. Rodwinder

Rodwinder Senior Member

Do you have any other angle shots of your wife? I think Kil's new 4'8 OTI rod could be hiding in one of those rolls on her back.

:eek: :eek: LMAO Billy

20. HUNTER II

HUNTER II Guest

I load every rod I build. I like to hydro the rig before I get a big fish on it.On a new style blank I want to make sure the line is off the rod at the max drag setting that I intend to use. I am also looking to see whether the rod is going to noodle on me at max drag.