Pics from the last month

Discussion in 'Offshore Fishing Reports' started by bighead, Aug 5, 2008.

1. bighead

bighead Senior Member

It's been a crazy busy summer for me this year and really have not had a chance to post any reports. Russ, Chad, and I have smacked up a bunch of nice snaps, kings, lings, mahi, etc while fishing with buds Terry, Gill, Robert, and Dillion. So here's a few pics, enjoy. Bert

Chad killing time at GCM
    [​IMG]

Chad, Russ, Gill, Terry, and me
    [​IMG]

Gill w/AJ
    [​IMG]

and Terry with it's twin a few minutes later
    [​IMG]

Chad's king
    [​IMG]

Russ and I
    [​IMG]

Chad's flat line Mahi
    [​IMG]

Russ snapper
    [​IMG]

day's haul
    [​IMG]

2. bighead

bighead Senior Member

mangrove snap
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Angler Systems

Angler Systems Senior Member

nice collection for sure !

4. JerseyBrian

JerseyBrian Senior Member

mangrove snap
    [​IMG]

Biggest Mangrove Snapper I've ever seen! You win :)

5. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

Since this is the "Pics from last month" thread.
    I'll toss in one. I'm not proud of what I did to this girl. I told her I would give her fifty bucks if she found my contact.:) I don't even wear glasses.:D
    The view was worth the twenty I gave her for trying.:D

Attached Files:

6. SkeeterRonnie

SkeeterRonnie Senior Member

Mr Bill... is that a mangrove or a red ?

7. d-a

d-a Senior Member

JBrian

We catch the mangroves up to 12 lbs in the gulf quite often.

d-a

8. d-a

d-a Senior Member

Looks like a beeliner to me

d-a

9. gmack

gmack Senior Member

Nice catches!!! I didn't notice any Aj's hanging. Do you guy just release them or you opted not to take pics?

10. Gunsmoke

Gunsmoke Guest

The fish in the picture looking for the contact lens is a "Back-door Bunfish".

Fish can be easy to identify if you know what to look for. I see no cellulite and overall appearance looks very firm. This particular one looks to be very healthy. This species is the best tasting fish I've ever eaten.:D

The bad that about this species is the money it requires to hunt down. Especially if you plan on mounting it.:) You also are required to buy another license if you want to keep it. :eek: It's also very expensive to get rid of this species if you purchase that license.:eek: I recommend Catch and release with this species.

This species likes a good rod. You will get best results with a firm stiff rod. Parabolic rods don't do very well with this species. Watch out for this species as it reproduces once it finds a comfortable place in your boat. I found if you cover your rod with a rod sack, it won't reproduce.:)

11. Drifter

Drifter Senior Member

12. JerseyBrian

JerseyBrian Senior Member

JBrian

We catch the mangroves up to 12 lbs in the gulf quite often.

d-a

that is truly awesome man. I hope I catch some nice size Mangroves this coming week off South Florida and the Keys! :)

13. bighead

bighead Senior Member

g-mack, we end up with a ton of snapper after these trips and the AJ we take home ends up going to waste. This year we've started releasing all that were healthy enough to go back.

MrBill, what's the daily limit on those bunfish? They do taste great but I've never boxed more than one in a day myself, lol.

14. Deep_Sea_Gull

Deep_Sea_Gull Lifetime Supporting Members

Nice pics! I see that you are getting old. I can tell by how Chad has grown...

15. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

MrBill, what's the daily limit on those bunfish? They do taste great but I've never boxed more than one in a day myself, lol.

Bunfish!! That's a great name.

They taste great in their prime, but just like any other species, they lose their taste when they mature.:eek:

I'm not aware of a daily bag limit. I do understand that you can bag the same bunfish as many times as you desire if it is willing. You will also need a stout young or new rod to enjoy the multiple daily catches of the highly desired bunfish.

I have in the past bagged three different bunfish in one day. I caught two at the same time six times in my life.:) All six times it was the same two bunfish.:rolleyes: My rod might might not be up to the task if I came across those same two bunfish today.

I bought one those bunfish licenses a few years ago. I now only get to look and dream about other bunfish. I think I let my bunfish get to comfortable in my boat. We are now DINK'S which is OK because it allows us to do and have things that non-DINK's cannot afford.

16. bighead

bighead Senior Member

Hi Tony, yep getting old! The kid is eating me out of house and home this summer. He about 6' and 180 now at 14 and is an eating machine. I guess me and my brother did the same to our folks only I was 6-3/240 and my brother was 6-6 250 in high school, lol.