Photos

Discussion in 'Reels' started by Fishhead56, Sep 27, 2009.

1. Fishhead56

Fishhead56 Senior Member

Here's some photos of the new TRQ S7 next to a Saltiga EXP.
    One photo is deceiving as to the reel seats. They are the same width,
    The TRQ is longer and taller as far as reel seats. The TRQ did fit size 20
    Smith reel seat. I got my hands on an early # TRQ and had it hand carried
    over to me. I need to get the right hand tools to open it further, (Torx head)
    More photos later maybe with fish.

Kev

Attached Files:

2. Fishhead56

Fishhead56 Senior Member

more

Attached Files:

3. Fishhead56

Fishhead56 Senior Member

Photos

Attached Files:

4. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

Are you still over there in the desert?
    I guess you bought the reel since you plan on taking it apart.
    I didn't think they would hit the market until December.

What is your first impression?

5. Fishhead56

Fishhead56 Senior Member

Are you still over there in the desert?
    I guess you bought the reel since you plan on taking it apart.
    I didn't think they would hit the market until December.

What is your first impression?

Yes I am still by the Sea, by the cliffs in the Desert,,,
    Yes I own this reel with Pay Pal receipt!!!!:)
    I bought it about a month ago.
    It took a while to get to me though.
    It is very well greased on all fastners.
    Smooth to spin. Spool has tapered lip..To help casting. ??
    This is not the largest size offered TRQ S9 is.
    The Bail appears not to be as renforced as Saltiga..See photos.
    The bail has a selector switch for auto close or hand close.

The Saltigas have a very steep drag curve, like 2 turnes from zero to 60.
    This reel will clamp down but with slower curve = 10 turns.

You are right this reel has not been released yet to the market.
    Maybe I will fish this one prior to release....
    If you like I'll send it your way to test. :cool:

Kev

6. Enoch

Enoch Senior Member

Beautiful pictures kev,

I didn't know that there was a selection switch to choose between manual and auto bail.
    I love the comparison with the expedition, that is a reel I never go to use and am pretty interested in.

You have a great chance to use it before it releases, now are you going to test it first before taking it apart?

Enoch

7. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

Fish it. Don't take it apart or send it thousands of miles over here for me to test. Test it on some of those GT's over there. GT's are very strong and would be a great test for the reel. I hear Penn has put a lot of time into this reel. I wish them well as a "Made in USA" quality spinning reel is long overdue.

Besides, the tuna haven't turned on here yet. It's still to warm and to many small boats are hitting the floaters. Too many boats keep the main population down deep. High today about 94 which is a lot better than the 60 days over three digits we had this summer. This coming week highs will only be 88-90. We had a little cool front come in last week. That was pleasant. We need to water to cool down a little bit. I was invited to go out the the floaters this weekend, but we all decided to wait until it cools down a little. I'll give it a try the third week of Oct. Hopefully it will be semi rough to keep some people at Port.

8. Fishhead56

Fishhead56 Senior Member

Sorry, Mr Bill.
    I did not see your post. Package is sent,,,,The tracking # is 449-448-992.
    LOL....
    I will be back in Tx Week of Oct 16, I will fish the reel then. and take it back
    for more Gt type stuff in UAE.

:eek:

Kev

9. Tunanorth

Tunanorth Senior Member

Just FYI, if you acquired it a month ago, it is one of the "show display" models used at the ICAST Show.
    These handbuilt prototypes [about 12 in total] are "fishable", but are far from the market-ready version.
    The semi-production "field-test" versions were shipped out to the field staff about 2 weeks ago.
    I received mine [size 7] last week, will be filling it with 65-pound braid and put on a custom 700MH before boarding the American Angler out of San Diego for a 10-day Long-Range trip in mid-October.
    Immediately upon return, I will be returning it to the Penn engineering department to be taken apart and evaluated.

Disclaimer- affiliated
    Penn Pro Staffer

10. Enoch

Enoch Senior Member

Just FYI, if you acquired it a month ago, it is one of the "show display" models used at the ICAST Show.
    These handbuilt prototypes [about 12 in total] are "fishable", but are far from the market-ready version.
    The semi-production "field-test" versions were shipped out to the field staff about 2 weeks ago.
    I received mine [size 7] last week, will be filling it with 65-pound braid and put on a custom 700MH before boarding the American Angler out of San Diego for a 10-day Long-Range trip in mid-October.
    Immediately upon return, I will be returning it to the Penn engineering department to be taken apart and evaluated.

Disclaimer- affiliated
    Penn Pro Staffer

Thanks for the info,

Would you say there is a performance caveat when it comes to the versions sold from the ICAST show?
    Grain of salt or just a disclaimer?

Perhaps the reel would enjoy a cape cod bft run :)

Enoch

11. Tunanorth

Tunanorth Senior Member

Thanks for the info,

Would you say there is a performance caveat when it comes to the versions sold from the ICAST show?
    Grain of salt or just a disclaimer?

Perhaps the reel would enjoy a cape cod bft run :)

Enoch

Don't know for sure, have never had one of the "ICAST Display" models personally.

12. d-a

d-a Senior Member

Disclaimer- affiliated
    Penn Pro Staffer

Sounds like there Just now being tested instead of tested re-evaluated, fix the problems and sent to the market. Penn is taking a big risk if so IMO. Bad publicity over broken reels is hard to overcome in a market that already has 2 dominate reels in it.

d-a

13. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

Tunanorth,

Thanks for the reply. Good luck on your American Angler trip. It's been my experience that a reel needs to catch at least a dozen tuna before it can be called "Worthy". Some spinning reels on the market will catch a few tuna, but they will break down somewhere between 3 and 10 tuna.

I hope one of your testers is an active charter boat captain on the east coast. Those guys will be able to give Penn some great feedback before your final production run. Also, it might not be a bad idea to send one to a Party boat off the Texas coast that targets YF. The season is just getting underway and the deckhands would make sure that reel catches at least three tuna per trip. You could etch "Test Reel" on the models so fisherman would know it is a prototype. I don't think anyone would be upset if a "Test Reel" had problems in testing. Having problems with paying customers after the production run could be avoided by testing them with these guys.

14. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

ill take one andy :D

i wasnt incredibly impressed with the reel i saw at ICAST. but, tunanorth answered several of my concernes about the reel a couple months back after the show. my main concerns were: lack of smoothness (mainly due to being "sealed" IMO), drag system (dual or single stack) and strength of gears. I'm encouraged by his replies but obviously we need real world results. I will be happy to test one if penn wants to send one down haha :). We did check to make sure the reel fit on an OTI tuna sniper (it does).

not a huge fan of the color but aesthetics is 2nd to funcionality IMO.

15. Tunanorth

Tunanorth Senior Member

Tunanorth,

Thanks for the reply. Good luck on your American Angler trip. It's been my experience that a reel needs to catch at least a dozen tuna before it can be called "Worthy". Some spinning reels on the market will catch a few tuna, but they will break down somewhere between 3 and 10 tuna.

I hope one of your testers is an active charter boat captain on the east coast. Those guys will be able to give Penn some great feedback before your final production run. Also, it might not be a bad idea to send one to a Party boat off the Texas coast that targets YF. The season is just getting underway and the deckhands would make sure that reel catches at least three tuna per trip. You could etch "Test Reel" on the models so fisherman would know it is a prototype. I don't think anyone would be upset if a "Test Reel" had problems in testing. Having problems with paying customers after the production run could be avoided by testing them with these guys.

It is my understanding that about 50 reels went out, the majority of which went to the US east/gulf coast and a few international/southern hemisphere locations.
    I think only 2 came here to the "left coast", and if I catch "only" a dozen tuna on mine, I'll be bummed!

16. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

It is my understanding that about 50 reels went out, the majority of which went to the US east/gulf coast and a few international/southern hemisphere locations.
    I think only 2 came here to the "left coast", and if I catch "only" a dozen tuna on mine, I'll be bummed!

send some to the charter capts from Mass to Maine.......if they can handle the bluefin this fall theyll be absolutely fine for the tuna in the gulf. and me too of course lol

17. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

Don't jinx yourself.:) I've jinxed myself many times on fishing trips having high expectations. :mad: Us fisherman can make our dreams fail with to much anticipation.:eek: I wish you good luck on your trip.

I think the "Left Coast" will eventually see the light with spinning gear. It will take time, but other coast lines have accepted them and some fisherman only fish with coffee grinders. A lot of jigging and popping guys only use spinners. I like and use both conventional and spinning outfits. If my arms get tired, I switch between the two to save my arms. My left arms gets worn out with conventional, and my right wears down with spinners. Alternating between the two types will insure your line is spending more time in the water.:)

18. Enoch

Enoch Senior Member

send some to the charter capts from Mass to Maine.......if they can handle the bluefin this fall theyll be absolutely fine for the tuna in the gulf. and me too of course lol

Bret, I second this.

I wouldn't mind the tester reel for this cape cod season. But being a tester, I know there is a chance of losing the fish due to the reel. But that's a reason for the test.

19. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

I switch between the two to save my arms. My left arms gets worn out with conventional, and my right wears down with spinners. Alternating between the two types will insure your line is spending more time in the water.:)

i agree, i do similar. though, i admit, im a conventional, long rod jigger at heart :) my 7'6" conventional gets the most use out of any rod. but it is nice to switch back and forth, esp when speed jigging.

20. Fishhead56

Fishhead56 Senior Member

Disclaimer- affiliated
    Penn Pro Staffer

Tunanorth,
    Thanks for the feed back. I was advised before hand this was one of the show circuit reels. And the serial # is in the # range you stated. As a show reel I was not sure if it would have bumps,dings and fingerprints from handling. But it shows none of that. I had a chance to pickup this reel (Leggitt) to veiw and hold for way less than a 3 day trip to ICAST so that was my choice.:)

I still plan to purchase models of TRQ reels to fish also when production is released. Maybe this one will go into the safe for 20 years in as new condition.
    Good luck on your trip.
    I expect feedback from October pro staff testing will be good and these reels
    will go easily in to production for DEC release.

Kev