Phenix Titans Slow Pitch/Long Fall jigging

Discussion in 'Jigging and Popping' started by Thuan Tran, Jan 18, 2020.

1. John Borrelli

John Borrelli Well-Known Member

Though I realize the OP asked only about the Phenix long fall rods, as there is a lack of info about long fall jigging in general, I have been listing the different long fall jigging rods commercially available.

The next long fall rod I have found is the Palms Metal WitchQuest Series. These rods are 7 feet 11 inches. There are two models listed. They both seem relatively light in the jig weights they can handle.

So there seems to be a division here between Palms, Major Craft, Yamaga and Phenix, Temple Reef and Poseidon. With the later three brands making models being able to handle jigs 300 grams and heavier.

One thing to bear in mind with long fall rods is that long fall jig ranges may be different then slow jigging ranges even for the same rod. You can have a softer presentation with long fall techniques so the jig weights can be heavier.

Palms exemplifies this with their jig ranges for their two rods. For their “lighter” rod the slow jigging range is 100-150 grams but the max fall weight jumps to 230 grams. For the “heavier” model the slow jig range is 130-180 grams but the long fall max is 300 grams. That is a significant difference in jig weights.

Palms is a serious slow jig rod maker and is named in the Totos Ogasawara’s Japanese Anglers Secrets site along with Yamaga, Major Craft and Evergreen Poseidon the latter of which is higher end. I have referred to this fisherman as a more influential voice than the entire Shimano corporation so please check out his web site if you haven’t already.

In closing, if you are interested in deep sea-type bottom fishing you should definitely explore long fall jigging. And as always, please feel free to correct any misinformation I may have posted. All the best, john

Last edited: Jan 28, 2020
    Cubeye likes this.
  2. r.sheker

r.sheker Member

u dont need a long fall rod to long fall.

3. John Borrelli

True, I have been doing long fall jigging with my Jigging Master rods which aren’t long fall rods. However when this spring starts I hope to do it with a long fall rod as well. Most times I will combine slow pitch and long fall techniques using the same rod on the same drop. For me personally, I have had more success with long fall so I plan to use more long fall and less slow pitch, so it makes sense to me to try this with a long fall rod.
    I also hope to purchase a few jigs that were designed for long fall jigging though again you don’t have to use only jigs designed with long fall jigging in mind. All the best, john

Cubeye, Thuan Tran and brn2surf1000 like this.
  4. John Borrelli

I just thought I would continue my list of long fall rods as there doesn’t seem to be an easy to find comprehensive list of these rods.

There is a Beat Propogate line of longfall rods. There seems to be a series of 5 rods listed on the Anglers Secrets page and the jig weights range from 130 grams to 350 gram models. There are two lengths 219cm or 229cm(about 7.5 feet) for the heavier models. Beat reportedly makes these rods in Japan. I have waited to list this series as it has been difficult to find more specs. Beat is a well regarded company and if made in Japan are likely to be one of the more expensive series perhaps being a little less than the Evergreen Poseidon series. Beat has three short long fall videos on YouTube.

At some point I may try to add a list of jigs that are long fall jigs or can be used successfully as long fall jigs. As an FYI some jigs may have words like "long" or "fall" in their name but may not be long fall jigs.
    As always, people with more knowledge than myself please feel free to add info. Apologies for hijacking the thread to the OP.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2020
    Thuan Tran likes this.
  5. rocketsurgeon

rocketsurgeon Junior member

6. John Borrelli

Thank you for adding a Shimano rod to the list! Much appreciated, john

rocketsurgeon likes this.
  7. John Borrelli

phenix final-.jpg Well, I decided to purchase a new Phenix Long fall rod. For jigs to be used with the long fall rod, I bought a Sea Floor Control Gawky and an Xesta Slippy. Living in New England, now I just have to wait for May! all the best, john

8. Salty Bones

Salty Bones Active Member

Nice I've got the same rod but I paired it with a PE5
    20200220_134439.jpg

9. John Borrelli

Nice set up! At the same time I got the rod I put another reel on the rod and then sent the reel out for a service. It is an older Shimano Ocea Jigger Scorpion 3000 reel. That reel weighs about the same as your JM reel and I thought the combo had a nice balance. And it would allow more line and I could bump up the pound test if needed. I may try the Ocea with the Phenix rod and leave my PE2 on my JM Violent rod. Thanks for posting, john

10. Salty Bones

Salty Bones Active Member

Good thinking! This setup is for the deep. It's got a shit load of 30lb j braid. It's worked very well for its purposes. It was scary how sensitive it is. Lol damn near close to feeling the tiles coming at it!

tugasangler and John Borrelli like this.
  11. mag0121

mag0121 New Member

Just to add a little, I've fished the heavy Phenix Titan longfall TJX-710H a bit over the last couple of years. I've caught rockfish, yellowtail, bonito and even yellowfin tuna on it. I've typically run it with an Accurate BV2-500N or Ocean Jigger 2000NRHG reel with 50lb braid.

To put it simply, I consider this to be a "meat stick" of long fall rods. It's extremely stout, which isn't so bad when you're hooked up, but the action of the rod/tip doesn't do much for the action of the jig. Fun to fight fish with though, I'll give it that. I haven't used the ML or MH versions, but based on my experience with Phenix's shorter traditional SPJ, the lighter ones definitely do better "dancing" the jig. Also, I have one of the shorter Phenix's rods custom built by Infinity Structure with straight guides, and I like it much better than the spiral wrap.

For what it's worth, since I got the Temple Reef MH and H Innovate rods from Benny, this one hasn't seen the water once!

12. John Borrelli

Thanks for your comments. I considered the Innovate line as well. I developed a wrist pain issue when jigging a few years back. I don’t know if it's psychosomatic but since I switched to spiral wrap rods the pain has gone away. My two Jigging Master rods are also spiral wrapped I will take one of these as well and see how the Phenix rod does in comparison. Hopefully I will be out by June? All the best, john

Last edited: Apr 29, 2020
    explorer and mag0121 like this.
  13. John Borrelli

I just wanted to give an update of sorts as I had mentioned in the thread that I hoped to try the Phenix rod by June, unfortunately due to the COVID-19 situation and because I have been fishing on Party Boats, it doesn’t look like I will be going out this year at all. I hope others will continue to post on this thread regarding the long fall technique. All the best and take care, john

Stevo likes this.