Phenix Titans Slow Pitch/Long Fall jigging

Discussion in 'Jigging and Popping' started by Thuan Tran, Jan 18, 2020.

1. Thuan Tran

Thuan Tran Active Member

Anybody have experience or know of any with this particular model? I picked up the Spinning model at 6’8 and 7’10 models. Extremely light weight yet rated high on line and jig weight. A bit skeptical and didn’t want to pull trigger on $400+ rod without reviews

thanks

2. brn2surf1000

brn2surf1000 Member

Couple things right off the bat. First you won’t enjoy/effectively fish slow pitch with a spinning rod. If you don’t mind why are you “skeptical”?

tugasangler and Thuan Tran like this.

3. explorer

explorer Member

No intention of challenging what you mentioned , trying to learn here. Why is it not enjoyable to use spinning for SlowPitching?:)

4. brn2surf1000

brn2surf1000 Member

No harm no foul buddy. My intention was not to put a downer in you’re plans either. 90% or more of slowpitch bites come on the fall of the jig. In my opinion it is very hard to try to close the bail of you’re spinning reel to react to that bite. Furthermore it’s harder to control the fall rate of the jig with a spinning reel. There are various other reasons as well but we can get into that down the line. Again i mean no disrespect.

Cubeye likes this.
  5. explorer

explorer Member

Learned something again (thank you;)). I don’t have spinning for that technique yet. I thought it’s the line not coming off the reel in a Straight way affects the fall of the jig (guess I am wrong again LOLo_O).

6. brn2surf1000

brn2surf1000 Member

Line off the reel doesn’t really effect the jig in the big picture. Lol. It’s not about being wrong. You can catch a fish as long as the jig is in the water. Just not super popular here spin wise.

explorer likes this.
  7. John Borrelli

John Borrelli Well-Known Member

For conventional long fall jigging rods, there is as far as I know Phenix, Major Craft and the top-of-the-line-started-it-all Evergreen Poseidon. I would be interested in a long fall rod but the slow jig market has been very SLOW in developing these rods. Jigging Master are you listening?

explorer and brn2surf1000 like this.
  8. explorer

explorer Member

LOL Hahaa.... good luck with that John:D

9. brn2surf1000

brn2surf1000 Member

John i have a Poseidon Long Fall for sale if you’re intrested

10. John Borrelli

Hello there, Which model do you have? Probably out of my price range but feel free to pm with a price with shipping. It would be a great rod for my style of fishing. All the best, john

11. Thuan Tran

Thuan Tran Active Member

Rod seems a bit too thin and light weight for its Gram ratings. I like that it pairs with my Sustain FG 6k. I won’t use it for its purpose of Slow Jigging. My method of
    Fishing with it is ‘just hooking on a live sardine’ and drop it in the water with no weights, let the sardine swim away with my bail open and line on my finger. As soon as YFT grabs and swims away with it, I’ll close the nail and set hook’ I like the rod for its extreme light weight that I can hold it for period of long time with out being too sore.

brn2surf1000 likes this.
  12. Thuan Tran

Thuan Tran Active Member

It’s between this rod, Shimano Game Type J or new Grappler jigging rod.

13. Thuan Tran

Thuan Tran Active Member

Fishes I catch only averages 15-30#

brn2surf1000 likes this.
  14. brn2surf1000

brn2surf1000 Member

Type J

Thuan Tran likes this.
  15. John Borrelli

Just for anyone reading this thread there doesn’t seem to be much info on long fall rods, so just some more info on rod choices.

Anyone please feel free to correct me if I have any info incorrect.

It seems that Temple Reef may have a rod that could be used for long fall called the Innovate. Also, there is a Yamaga though it seems that the “heavier” Yamaga Galahad as well as the Major Craft Giant Killing long fall rods are for lighter jigs around 250 grams to 300 grams. The two Innovate rods can handle heavier jigs.

I really think I need a long fall rod but won’t be fishing until May here in the northeast so plenty of time to choose one.

All the best with your rod search, john

16. brn2surf1000

brn2surf1000 Member

John. What’s you’re main concern in having a longer rod?

17. John Borrelli

How do I convince my wife I need a thousand dollars worth of tackle to catch a ten dollar fish? :)

18. John Borrelli

Other than the above, my other rods are spiral wrapped and I would prefer a spiral wrap long fall rod. I don’t believe the Temple Reef rod is spiral wrapped. I also would need a rod that can handle 300-400 gram jigs. It would also need to handle 200-300 feet depths with current. And though I like the idea of a longer rod for long fall jigging, as I have been doing this style with my 6 foot and 6 foot 3 inch rods, I am a little hesitant to use a longer 7-8 foot rod as I feel I would be giving a leverage advantage to the fish, and I’m not as strong as I look :) All the best, john

19. benwah22

benwah22 Well-Known Member

Long fall is a simpler game. Sure, you can make technical movements, but the whole point is to have a longer falling presentation of the jig.

You're worried about losing a mechanical advantage with the fish. I respectfully disagree.

Think of it this way: If you have a short jigging rod - for instance, a speed jigging rod - it's short and takes a beating during the fight. It's designed to fight the fish, and to have a parabolic bend to absorb the shock/take some stress off the angler.

Long fall rods are still SPJ rods. While some (like the Innovate) were specifically designed to put heat on, it's still more of an efficient fight to use the reel as the primary tool to winch the fish up.

Long fall rods will generally work a broader range of jigs because of the "lift and fall" technique. It's not rocket surgery. Lift rod, load tip, flick jig, jig falls, repeat. What is rocket surgery is getting it all able to work in conjunction - the right materials, the right guide, the right construction and the right action. That only comes through rigorous testing. And, I don't mean show up to the factory to watch people make rods and test them on the machine. Sure, that's part of it, but the real test is on the water.

As far as mechanics, the powerful butt ends of these rods helps move the jig through the water, the trick is finding a tip section that will effectively work the jig. Some long fall rods are too stiff in my opinion, so you lose contact with the jig. Others are too soft, and are basically glorified SPJ rods. I think the point of a long fall rod is to be different. It's not just a longer SPJ rod, it's a different tool.

The guide train on the Innovate has Fuji super duty guides that lie at about a 45 degree angle to the blank in the tip section. This allows line to slide off and there are minimal foul ups.

As for the Mrs, that one's on you my man. Why do women need 30 pairs of shoes when they only have two feet?