Phenix Black Diamond Rods Opinions?

Discussion in 'Rods and Rod Blanks' started by Cubano, Aug 23, 2008.

1. Cubano

Cubano Junior member

Does anybody here own or have used a Phenix Black Diamond rod? If so what do you guys think of them? One of the local shops here carries them, and I'm thinking about buying one. They make a 7' spinning one rated at 20 - 60 lb, and for that strength it is incredibly light and small in diameter. Unlike the Shimano Trevalla line this thing actually has a lot of backbone (that line rating is actually for mono). They are fairly pricey ($259.99 to $289.99), but not more than a Super Seeker. I guess they are boron graphite rods.

Thanks

2. ahistick

ahistick Senior Member

These are not the graphite boron rods from a previous Phenix line up. Its a different material made by Toray.

I'm getting a 700H spinner wrapped for a September trip; will post pictures and review

3. Cubano

Cubano Junior member

These are not the graphite boron rods from a previous Phenix line up. Its a different material made by Toray.

I'm getting a 700H spinner wrapped for a September trip; will post pictures and review

I looked at the factory wrapped one in the 700H and I really like it. I think it would match really well with either my Shimano Saragosa 8000 or my Quantum Cabo 80 PTs. Ideally this rod would be great with the new saltwater Stellas, only if they weren't so expensive.

4. graya

graya Junior member

I have a few rods on their blanks they are very good if you are into thin diameter rods with lots of lifting power you shoul try this line up of rods i recently wrapped a 869H and i will start on a 900H and 806L here is a link to a rod i build with some lift test and some lift test on some of their blanks

http://www.360tuna.com/forum/f74/phenix-5-9-jigging-rod-2119/

5. genensd

genensd Member

I got the chance to meet and see the rods at the long beach fred hall show since I have gotten several rods and have had the chance to get to know the guys that run the company.
    the rods to this point in my opinion are very good the components are high quality and the craftmanship is exceptional.
    I really do like the thin diameter and power the blanks pack.
    I obvioulsy like to wait awhile before I swear by a product but so far the rods have held up to my personal abuse.

6. Cubano

Cubano Junior member

I got the chance to meet and see the rods at the long beach fred hall show since I have gotten several rods and have had the chance to get to know the guys that run the company.
    the rods to this point in my opinion are very good the components are high quality and the craftmanship is exceptional.
    I really do like the thin diameter and power the blanks pack.
    I obvioulsy like to wait awhile before I swear by a product but so far the rods have held up to my personal abuse.

I've bought the 7' 20 -60 lb spinning version. I went on a 2 day trip out of San Diego to test it out, but unfortunately the trip was a disapointment and I did not get a chance to test it. However the rod does seem quite impressive. considering it has Alps S9 SIC guides, the price ($289.99) is quite good.

7. ahistick

ahistick Senior Member

Also returned from my annual 2 day trip down the Baja Coast. I was only able to pull on 10-15 lb skipjack tuna; to say the least, I personally had a less than stellar trip. However, as chartermaster, it was a great trip as everybody had a great time. Many were able to pull on 20-25 lb yellowfin tunas while the majority of the fleet had to scratch up decent counts.

The Phenix 700H was overkill for the fish I caught. Can't wait to try it out on bigger fish!

The rod was beautifully wrapped by Jim 'Akuhed' Racela!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. Taz575

Taz575 Senior Member

I am debating the 20-60, for jigging 8-12 oz for tuna. I would set up as a spinner, trim to a little under 6'. I would prob trim the tip back to work the 8 to 12oz. Do you guys think this will hold up for tuna?? Planning on a Saragosa 18000 reel for it, prob 80# braid. I have seen the pics of the 30-40# lifts with the H models.