360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
left out of freeport texas area around 8am on monday after a trip to the boat show on sunday. onboard were stryper (mike),grescobia (john), minnow (tj) and mcgolfer (rick aka rickybobby). stopped at surfside marina to top the boat off and visit with 2 other boats that were headed deep.

hit the gulf and the seas were nice which allowed us to cruise at 30 mph on the way to the flower gardens. arrived about noon and started trolling with only cuda's and kingfish to show for our effort. concentrated on the edeges of the area for most of the afternoon. we were pulling islanders and marrauders and having no luck with hooking up on the hoo's. about 4pm i decided to try an different approach and it paid off as we landed 6 hoo's in the next hour and 15 minutes along with a nice amberjack.

at night fall we headed to the nearest rig and started rig hopping in search of a groupers and other bottom dwellers. checked out several rigs with limited success. ended up with 3 grouper to about 30lbs and and some of those endangered red snappers.

tj spent several hours playing with the jack creavales on poppers he was having so much fun that he finally took the hooks off and we just watched all the blow ups and laughed our asses off at how bad they wanted that oti wombat popper.

next morning we went back to the gardens and the seas roughed up considerably and after landing the best hoo of the trip a hoo of 55lbs. we fished a while longer with only kings and cuda's so i decided we better try and get our butts back to port.

i was only able to run 12mph for the first 35 miles due to the higher seas and not wanting to pound the boat.about 90 miles offshore the seas sub sided and we cruised in at 30 mph.

i don't have the photo's so maybe minnow or stryper will add the photo's to make this report more than worthless....rick

·
1,025 Posts
Glad you guys had a great trip!!! I wish I was there! I spoke with Greschuck last night. He was pretty tired.

Scott

·
781 Posts
If any of ya'll ever get a chance to fish with these gentlemen,consider yourselves blessed. These folks are definetly on top of their game and just a heck of a lot of fun to fish with and learn from. Once again proving, Texas hospitality is 2nd. to none. And 70 degree water 3hrs offshore in January is twice as nice.
I just sent John the photos to relay to TJ to resize, so I would imagine they will appear shortly.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Congrats , very nice trip, looks nippy LOL

john it sure wasn't panama. when we left the house in freeport we had to break 1/4 inch thick ice in the canal before we even reached the creek that leads to the intercoastal waterway. now i know that the kevlacat can perform duty as an ice breaker. about 40 degree when we left but was in the mid 50's offshore....rick

·
1,025 Posts

·
1,699 Posts
Hey Rickybobby, Glad to see you go deep on the phat cat.. nice mess of fish... How do you like the yamahas??

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hey Rickybobby, Glad to see you go deep on the phat cat.. nice mess of fish... How do you like the yamahas??

bret
the boat ran great except for a battery issue but after about an hour we got that issue resolved. the yamaha's are fine but would still be running the honda's if they had been set up like the yamaha's are now..

they are more photo's around somewhere and i hope that tj posts them soon....rick

·
5,457 Posts
i decided to try an different approach and it paid off as we landed 6 hoo's in the next hour and 15 minutes

This thread is useless with out details rickybobby:p

d-a

·
638 Posts
Sometime Rick, post up a pic of the boat so they can see how many rodholders are available. Great trip.

Fred

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
tj spent several hours playing with the jack creavales on poppers he was having so much fun that he finally took the hooks off and we just watched all the blow ups and laughed our asses off at how bad they wanted that oti wombat popper.

those crevalles were the bane of my exitence last year lol. they do love topwaters though!

nice report and pictures - those are nice sized wahoo :)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts