Perfect rod for these set ups...

Discussion in 'Jigging and Popping' started by Augs, Sep 18, 2009.

1. Augs

Augs Member

Hello all, I have an accurate 665W on an OTI 60-80 lb jigging rod. I love the set up, but now I am looking for a nice compliment for a 665N for throwing poppers, plugs, chuggers, twinkies, live baiting, etc.... As well as an all around perfect rod for a 270 for basically the same uses, just a little closer to shore where smaller mean fish play. Realistically big reds, jacks, tarpon, or that big grouper that ate Red34's fin that time we were snorkeling at packery channel...

Here is the deal, I want something for the 270 that I can run off the end of a jetty with (I live in South Texas, so just not a jigging rod) and something for the 665N that will be my primary slinger for offshore ventures. Thanks Amigos!

Please give me some ideas!!!

2. Sea Bear

Sea Bear Senior Member

How about a Calstar 700H for the 665N?

3. paul708

paul708 Site Sponsor

there are some real good choices.
    i would think a slightly longer rod may be better if you need to cast a little further.
    calstar has a few that would work.
    batson has some good choices.
    the OTI popping rod.

are you using bait with the 270?

4. Augs

Augs Member

I will use the 270 for everything. Live bait, dead bait, artificials, light jigging... All the good stuff. I had a trevala on a 270 for a while, and it was okay, just not the fit I am looking for.

5. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

check the 40-60lb oti 7'6" rod. being 2 piece its nice for putting in the car. plenty of backbone for what youre looking for.

i use the 60-80 of the same rod for everything, but its a bit overkill for a 270.

6. jig42na

jig42na Spinal Rods

Augs you fishing for the those Crevelles and Bonehead off the jetty down there. I fish a jetty near S Padre island and it was all the hardtails, sheep fish, and really nice sice crevelles you wanted. It was a great trip.

7. Capt Richie

Capt Richie Site Sponsor

Hello all, I have an accurate 665W on an OTI 60-80 lb jigging rod. I love the set up, but now I am looking for a nice compliment for a 665N for throwing poppers, plugs, chuggers, twinkies, live baiting, etc.... As well as an all around perfect rod for a 270 for basically the same uses, just a little closer to shore where smaller mean fish play. Realistically big reds, jacks, tarpon, or that big grouper that ate Red34's fin that time we were snorkeling at packery channel...

Here is the deal, I want something for the 270 that I can run off the end of a jetty with (I live in South Texas, so just not a jigging rod) and something for the 665N that will be my primary slinger for offshore ventures. Thanks Amigos!

Please give me some ideas!!!

I fish my 665N & 270 with GUSA's 602 & 603 Jigging rod..If your looking for a 7' the Wahoo Jr or the Wahoo at 8'..The other blanks I fish are the new Seeker XL jigging 70H & 60H..
    For fishing the offshore rigs for tuna & snapper the 603 is very sweet..I fish it both in the gulf & ocean side in the Keys...I have caught some big grouper & snapper withtthe 603 & some tuna & mahi mahi with the 602..

United Composite is up & running so I can now get GUSA blanks again..One of the best blank ever made is back...........