Penn Torque Spinning

Discussion in 'Reels' started by LT1, Jun 24, 2009.

1. LT1

LT1 Member

2. John_Madison CT

John_Madison CT Senior Member

Me likey. Competition against Shimano's higher end spinning reels is always a good thing.

Curious that the pricing for the Torque is between the Stella and Saragosa.

3. Fishhead56

Fishhead56 Senior Member

Thanks for the link, I've been waiting for a look at this line up.
    Kev.

4. fish on

fish on Member

This is interesting as i have two brand new 560 slammers which i just bought along with a 550ssg and my honest humble opinion after trials is CRAP''I live in a third world country and the money spent on these reels are($50,000.00) and i will be lucky if i get ($20,000.00) for all three.firstly let me explain why i say this.In surf casting all the three reels spool line horribly then when you finally cast the line out wind knots kill you as the line doest fall under the line roller on the retreive either.Then there is the corrosion issue .Ihave seen the reels pitting and it hasn't been a month yet and ooh before i forget one of the bearings in the line roller of the slammer is gone.I called tackle direct and spoke to them then had to call penn(the guy at penn was very nice ''larry'') but i have to send back the reel in order to get a new one and thats going to cost me.In the end i bought a shimano spheros 8000 which has so far been leagues ahead of the penns.

5. hatidua

hatidua Senior Member

Yikes! That's pretty costly for a reel with no track record :eek:

6. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

if youre a pittsburgh steeler fan theyre pretty.........and though i know glenn is a steeler fan i dont see him trading a stella for one ;)

the lack of bearings worries me as well as an unproven track record. we shall see how these do. gearing/weight is within range but i wonder if these arent a stab at matching the ZB/VS line rather than the stellas with the pitch that they're sealed reels.

7. hatidua

hatidua Senior Member

if youre a pittsburgh steeler fan theyre pretty.........and though i know glenn is a steeler fan i dont see him trading a stella for one ;)

the lack of bearings worries me as well as an unproven track record. we shall see how these do. gearing/weight is within range but i wonder if these arent a stab at matching the ZB/VS line rather than the stellas with the pitch that they're sealed reels.

I've had more problems with "sealed drags" than I have with unsealed drags. The problem always arises from the fact that very few "sealed" drags are adequately sealed. I've sent more than a few $3K reels back to the manufacturer because I could hear water sloshing around inside my 'sealed drag" reel :mad:

8. high hopes

high hopes Junior member

I want to get my hands on one of these, I have four Penn 360 slammers we use in the bay and four 750ssms on the off-shore boat. In the past two years I have had no problems with these at all, they are no stellas but the are good work-horse reels. I have caught yellow fin, black fin, grouper, aj, snapper, makeral, shark, ling of good size with not problems. It will be interesting to see how this reel goes up against a stella, I hope to get my hands on one of these before I go to tuna land next time.

9. johndtuttle

johndtuttle Senior Member

I think I speak for many here when I say I hope all the success in the world for this new product.

What's the worst thing that can happen? We get a workhorse or better that can get the job done at a reasonable price?

Time will tell. Some tackle ho go get one! :D.

10. FishinGypsy

FishinGypsy Member

Good luck to Penn with this reel ,though I still think it's ugly and I expect I'm not alone. I hear rumours that ,due to more guys heading out on the SD longrange boats with spinner reels ,Avet are considering launching a spinner once the raptor range has been completed. I'm thinking a T-RX spinner would be interesting.

11. DrewC

DrewC Member

Good luck to Penn with this reel ,though I still think it's ugly and I expect I'm not alone. I hear rumours that ,due to more guys heading out on the SD longrange boats with spinner reels ,Avet are considering launching a spinner once the raptor range has been completed. I'm thinking a T-RX spinner would be interesting.

I heard from an avet rep at a recent show that the completion of the raptor series was being put on hold because avet had a 'new priority". I assumed he was talking about a spinner.

12. FishinGypsy

FishinGypsy Member

I asked the question on rod and reel radio to the Avet rep and he said the raptor line would be finished before any new projects. That said , more and more guys are taking spinners out on the long range boats and there is obviously a market there for them. I'd like to see a spinner from them as they build great reels and offer them at a good price point too.

13. high hopes

high hopes Junior member

These new reels look way over priced, they should have retailed them two hundred less than they did. Then I might try one, but not for that price in the first year of production.

14. tmd

tmd Large Member

These new reels look way over priced, they should have retailed them two hundred less than they did. Then I might try one, but not for that price in the first year of production.

I find it ugly and read complaining about roughness and sharp edges etc but it is not over priced. 650$ is nothing when it is made in the USA and when chinese made VS is 900$ for bailed and chinese ZB is 1000$/1200$. dogfight and stella is 1000$ too. how could it be over priced?

15. high hopes

high hopes Junior member

Well, I guess I need to test it out before I make a claim like that, and I think I am going to just have to buy one and test it out. I have been very pleased with there products and would like to support our own. I will get back in a few weeks after some testing of this product.

16. SpecialK

SpecialK Super Moderator

I find it ugly and read complaining about roughness and sharp edges etc but it is not over priced. 650$ is nothing when it is made in the USA and when chinese made VS is 900$ for bailed and chinese ZB is 1000$/1200$. dogfight and stella is 1000$ too. how could it be over priced?
    $650 is nothing as long as it stands up to the tests that the other mentioned reels have passed.

That is a big gamble for a reel that we haven't seen many reviews on.
    I am sure it's a fine reel. Just not sure it's going to be compatible to the quality that some of the other high end spinners offer.
    Kyle,
    if you buy one, get it from a big box store so you can take it back if it blows up. Pita to return something ordered online.

17. high hopes

high hopes Junior member

Looks like Cabela's won't have one till May 1, I think I will just go with the saragosa till then.