Penn Torque Spinning Rod???

Discussion in 'Jigging and Popping' started by TinCup, Aug 25, 2008.

1. TinCup

TinCup Junior member

Hey, new guy here. I just received my Penn Torque Spinning Jig rod rated 30-80 lb. braid. The rod is really thin, like the diameter of an inshore Ugly Stick, can this thing really handle tuna? I’m fishing NE partyboats mostly for schoolie yellowfin and am pairing it with a penn 9500ss. Am I gonna be out gunned? I’m taking my first trip in a few weeks. Thanks guys.

2. workin

workin Member

Hey,

I use 950ss's, and they're ok. Put 80 lb on 'em. The drag ain't super smooth in them, especially at high levels, so I don't screw them down too hard and use my hand if I need a little extra. I'm satisfied given what I paid for them, though I often covet thy neighbors' tackle (i.e. goods; I'm goin' to hell). I can't speak to the rod, though I'll say that my one big tuna on my popping rig had me wanting a rod with a heavier bottom-end. Diameter isn't really much of a guide, though; I see guys using those Trevala rods that look as frail as some kinda fairy-wand, and they put the hurt on some big fish with them.

3. ty2philly

ty2philly Senior Member

Hey, new guy here. I just received my Penn Torque Spinning Jig rod rated 30-80 lb. braid. The rod is really thin, like the diameter of an inshore Ugly Stick, can this thing really handle tuna? I’m fishing NE partyboats mostly for schoolie yellowfin and am pairing it with a penn 9500ss. Am I gonna be out gunned? I’m taking my first trip in a few weeks. Thanks guys.

I went through that same exact situation.
    I purchase and returned the following rods:

1) Off Shore Angler Freestle Jigging Rod 80#-200#
    2) Off Shore Angler Freestle Jigging Rod 50#-130#
    3) Penn Torque Jigging Rod 80#-130#

All three was sold for $99 each. However after going over to a custom rod shop and testing out the OTI 600g rods and the Jigging Master rods I learned very quickly just how under prepared I would have been with those budget rods.

I ended up spending the extra money on the OTI 600g rod. Its an excellent rod and I know for sure it can handle tuna, amberber jack, and grouper.

Good luck with which ever rod you finally decide on.

Regards,
    Ty

Update:
    Since I originally made this post I did in fact use my OTI 600g 5'6" jigging rod for Amber Jack and it worked great! It had massive backbone to hual up those monster fish! I am so glad I did make the switch because I do not thing the current version of the Penn Torque rod would have held up as well or at least the fight would have been even more stressful.