360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2 of these prototype reels will be sent back to Penn shortly by Capt. Greg Bogdan and will have some improvements added before production.

He tells me that there are new Torque conventionals coming with higher drag ratings and some 2 speeds too. Good luck Penn.

I'm a Shimano guy but have recently had the following failures; Handle on Saragosa 18000 fell off while fighting a fish, 18000 original drag disks failed after one Spinner Shark, all my reels don't put out the drag stated (unless it is an empty spool figure) and the Tallica I considered could not be set to the stated high max drag figure with a full spool. I used Torques last year and will again this year.

DL

Attachments

·
675 Posts
i like the looks of them.

I guess that "an eye of the beholder" thing :)

The line lay is a little concerning in that second picture.

·
Wannabe Tuna Fisherman
1,814 Posts
There is nothing "pretty" about that thing. Hopefully, it is a workhorse though. I know some friends are planning on getting them.

·
131 Posts
I played with them at ICAST last July here in Orlando. Was not impressed with them from a cosmetic and fit & finish perspective. Too many sharp edges, the color is just not for me, and the reels just were not as smooth as either a Saltiga or Stella.

I think they're to retail at $600 -- for that much, it needs to be bullet-proof. Hopefully Greg Bogdan and the other Penn Pro-Staffers gave them some good input on what to change.

Tom

·
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hate to compare the weight without putting them on a scale. but it is no lightweight.

DL

·
Administrator
1,440 Posts
I hope they improve that reel to compete with Stella and Saltiga. I also played with it at ICAST and was not impressed at all.

At lease they have changed the reel foot to fit size 22 Fuji reel seat.

·
490 Posts
i put together a list of all the reels i think most of us are currently using.
biggest penn is lighter than both the big stella and saltiga... would not have guessed that looking at it.

Prices are from Tackledirect to keep things equal.

·
27 Posts
not to concerned about the line lay because the 4th word in the first post is "prototype". kinks like this have to be worked out after prototypes are made then tested

·
995 Posts
not to conerned about the line lay because the 4th word in the first post is "prototype". kinks like this have to be worked out after prototypes are made then tested

I agree. I know of atleast 3 fishermen(not personally) who participated in the field testing of the reel and all said that they will review the production reel and not the prototype. Hopefully, penn will incorporate these feedbacks from different field testers.

·
214 Posts
I would think the Penn's engineer's would not need a field tester to tell them that the line lay sucks, i don't think it will be fixed or it would have been already. I do hope the reel works out though, it would be nice to have more options for high end spinners.

·
6,518 Posts
Keep in mind the reels at ICast were also prototypes & the production reels should have a much better fit/finish/feel... At least I hope so b/c I'm a Penn guy but I just bought a Torsa & a Talica b/c Penn didn't have anything that compared. I also have Torque 200s & 300s & I do like them too...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts