penn torque 300

Discussion in 'Reels' started by crazyjigr, Jul 29, 2009.

1. crazyjigr

crazyjigr Senior Member

I bought this reel about a year ago used to keep as a loaner for friends I took it out this weekend and decided to try it out first drop, first fish, it broke. Under load it sounded like the gears had missing teeth and was making a popping grinding noise. I took the reel apart the gears are perfect this reel has no visible wear signs at all in or out so it surprises me that it broke or was before I got it.
    My 2 year old started to help me w the disassembly so I had to stop trouble shooting hopefully I'll continue tonight.
    Any guesses as to what might be wrong with it? My guess it's the one way bearing.
    Anybody have other problems with these reels?

2. Fishhead56

Fishhead56 Senior Member

Sorry to hear that,
    I got 50 to 60 ,Black fin, AJ , snapper, YFT, shark ect all at less than 40 lbs.on a 300.
    I would like to know what you find out.
    Kev

3. Bellyups

Bellyups Senior Member

Maybe a bad bearing. Check to make sure the bearings are ok.

Scott

4. crazyjigr

crazyjigr Senior Member

Well the only wear on the internal parts of the reel are the slot in the spool shaft (thats not replaceable) where the pinion gear fits into.The spool and pinion will have to be replaced. I contacted Penn I'll post on the outcome.
    This reel has very little use by me (one time) and the previous owner (two times) this conection between the gears and the spool to me seems very weak.

5. TheSwab

TheSwab Senior Member

One of mine is sitting at the bottom of the ocean at the resor..lol

6. TheSwab

TheSwab Senior Member

7. crazyjigr

crazyjigr Senior Member

Thanks I'll contact him
    I have heard that Penn was standing behind the torque reels so I'll post on the outcome

8. Tunanorth

Tunanorth Senior Member

The very first production run of these reels [2006] had an issue where sometimes if the left-side bearing adjustment was loosened too much, it allowed misalignment of the spool spindle, resulting in pretty much exactly what you describe.
    The simple engineering fix on subsequent production was to restrict the amount of adjustment on the threads for the bearing, and to open up the taper of the spool spindle a bit.
    As mentioned before, send to Penn with specific description of what happened.

9. crazyjigr

crazyjigr Senior Member

I got a call back from Tom Blecker at Penn he said that reels made in 06 (07,08,09 have all been updated) had this problem after our conversation he said that penn would update the reel no charge. The parts needed to be replaced are the right side plate, spool and pinion gear.
    So far I have to say great job Penn standing behind your products.
    I will update post when the reel gets back.

10. LT1

LT1 Member

Steve--What serial numbers were the 2006 models? Thanks.

Leland

11. Tunanorth

Tunanorth Senior Member

Steve--What serial numbers were the 2006 models? Thanks.

Leland

The serial number starts with a letter which is the month the reel was built [A=January, etc.], then the next 2 numbers are the year built [06=2006, etc.].

12. crazyjigr

crazyjigr Senior Member

I have to compliment Penn for outstanding customer service and standing behind the Torque reels I got my 300 back. They relaced the spool, pinion gear, side plate and compleatly serviced it no charge at all just had to pay to ship it to them.

13. Jason4606

Jason4606 Tuna Club member

That's good to hear Jim! And knowing that they dug down to correct the root cause of the problem (not just repair it to fail again) is really nice to know.

That has to make you feel a lot better about using it next time!! :) :)

Now you just need to get some NC reef donkeys to thoroughly test it! :D

14. crazyjigr

crazyjigr Senior Member

I'll let you or D-a be my field tester I'm a spaz w a conventional the rod up reel up thing is still a little awkward for me. I'm loading it w 100lb braid so we will set the drag in the high 20's and put it on some one else's rod.

15. d-a

d-a Senior Member

I'll let you or D-a be my field tester I'm a spaz w a conventional the rod up reel up thing is still a little awkward for me. I'm loading it w 100lb braid so we will set the drag in the high 20's and put it on some one else's rod.

I Will see if it is indeed fixed.

d-a

16. johndtuttle

johndtuttle Senior Member

fyi for what it's worth had the same problem with my Torque 300. Contacted Tom: [email protected] and had the same fast turn around and complete resolution of the issue.

props to Penn

17. crazyjigr

crazyjigr Senior Member

I have not had a chance to use mine yet hopefully if the weather is good it's going to NC on the 20th and TX on the Big-e in nov

18. John_Madison CT

John_Madison CT Senior Member

I landed a ~200lb Bluefin on my Penn Torque 300 last Friday. No problems with this very powerful fish. Before this fish, I caught countless Stripers/Bluefish with it.

That being said, things break, no matter what brand. Tom Blecker is a very stand up guy. He's a real asset to Penn.

19. johndtuttle

johndtuttle Senior Member

ya, it's my understanding that this was an issue with the 2006 Torque 300's (like mine purchased right when they first came out) since resolved.

It's always a risk to be an early adopter of new tech not completely worked out =).

20. crazyjigr

crazyjigr Senior Member

This reel has failed again same issue as the first failure and on the first fish. I'm going to send it back to Penn to get it fixed