penn torque 300

Discussion in 'Reels' started by lucas_shane, Feb 19, 2009.

1. lucas_shane

lucas_shane Member

hey guys how would this penn torque 300 turn out for the over night trips in the GOM

2. Mitchw123456

Mitchw123456 Senior Member

I've caught many tuna on one and haven't had the first problem with the reel. It is more than adaquate its just a little heavy. I have mine paired with a 700XH

3. Tunanorth

Tunanorth Senior Member

As a "left coaster" I can't comment about the specific techniques used in the GOM, but I have used the TRQ300 extensively for yellowfin tuna, albacore and bluefin tuna in California and Baja waters.
    It's a bit too much reel for albacore, unless you've got a line on some whoppers in the 70-pound range, and I usually prefer the TRQ100 for our usual 20 to 35-pound longfins.
    For yellowfin and bluefin, I love the TRQ300 for the 40 to 100-pound grade fish.
    The "double wide" main and pinon gear give it much more cranking power than any other high-speed reel, not quite what you could expect from say a true 1.7 to 1 "low" on a 2-speed, but about like a fairly comfortable 3 to 1 when hooked up.
    When using "Japanese-style" jigs, I usually prefer the smaller TRQ200, but for our slightly larger "California-style" jigs [Tady, Salas, etc.] and also for wahoo bombs the combination of speed and power is great.
    Line capacity for the TRQ300:
    450 yards of 80-pound solid braid
    or
    300 yards 65-pound solid braid plus a 140-yard topshot of 50-pound mono.
    Line capacity for the TRQ200-
    400 yards of 65-pound solid braid
    or
    300 yards 50 pound solid braid plus 75 yards 40-pound mono topshot
    Adjust above to your preferences.
    I usually have the TRQ300 on a 700H or 700XH, and the TRQ200 on a 700M or sometimes a 700ML when the topshot is dropped to 30-pound for live bait fishing.

Disclaimer- affiliated
    Penn Pro Staffer

4. lucas_shane

lucas_shane Member

ive found one for like 150 bucks brand new condition. is it worth the money

5. Tunanorth

Tunanorth Senior Member

To say that $150 is a phenomenal price would be an understatement, you might want to make sure that the whole thing is "legit", you can't be too careful these days.
    One thing I forgot to to mention, if you plan to do a lot of casting with any size TRQ reel, you need to de-grease the spool bearings and add the speed-oil product of your choice.
    I like Rocket Fuel, but Speed-X and Hot Sauce are also good.
    However, once you do that, you need to make sure you don't allow the bearings to run dry.
    If you are mostly doing deep jigging, it's not really an issue.

Disclaimer- affiliated

6. d-a

d-a Senior Member

$150 is a good deal. It will work well for you for jigging, but there are several other reels i would look at first. The biggest difference you would notice is the weight of the trq, its the heaviest of that size of reels.

d-a

7. Fishhead56

Fishhead56 Senior Member

I don't want to sound like a broken record..
    But I am quite happy with my TRQ 300 on OTI 5.6 jigging rod.w\ 80 Saltiga braid. It has been over kill for BFT but that is easy on me. Also jigged 50lb class AJ with no problem. I was also suprised and satisfied how it could toss a jig, 40 yds-50yds up current as this was all I was asking it to do.
    the reel feels over balanced for the light OTI rod but together not too heavy
    for me to jig with. Some times I jig fast and other tmes slower and not worn out from jigging but...25-30 bft does wear me down. On Gom floater trips I jig next to spar until I get 1-3 BFT then change to popper or chunk for YFT.

My also have equal rig of 200 TRQ and 6' OTI jigging rod. It still sets as a brides made,
    "unmolested" rigged and ready to go. I might get a 100 somtime just to have
    the set. But 300 TRQ and OTI 5.6 or simulair should allow you to put the heat
    on a grouper\AJ.
    This is Ford and Chevy type talk from me but. I like this combo.
    Kev

8. SteelingHeads

SteelingHeads Senior Member

ive found one for like 150 bucks brand new condition. is it worth the money

I hope it is not from that HOBBIKU site, is it? If it is, you may want to read this: http://www.360tuna.com/forum/f37/fs-cheap-reels-here-4363/

I also am a big fan for the Penn Torque's. When I bought mine I looked and looked and looked for several months and the best deal I could swing for a brand new one was $275.

9. Tunanorth

Tunanorth Senior Member

Interesting stuff about that HOBBIKU site.
    Although it looks like a simple scam with no physical inventory, about 2 or 3 years ago there was a "ring" in Indonesia that was selling straight-up "counterfeit" Shimanos, Penns and Daiwas, not just similar copies.
    They looked good enough to fool most people, who only found out about the deception when they sent their reel in to be serviced.

10. SteelingHeads

SteelingHeads Senior Member

Interesting stuff about that HOBBIKU site.
    Although it looks like a simple scam with no physical inventory, about 2 or 3 years ago there was a "ring" in Indonesia that was selling straight-up "counterfeit" Shimanos, Penns and Daiwas, not just similar copies.
    They looked good enough to fool most people, who only found out about the deception when they sent their reel in to be serviced.

That must have hurt!