Penn Torque 300 problems

Discussion in 'Reel Repair' started by Mitchw123456, Jun 7, 2008.

1. Mitchw123456

Mitchw123456 Senior Member

I have a brand new out of the box torque 300 that won't get mor ethan about 15#s or so of drag while my brand new 200 is pulling 25#+. I don't have time to send it back as I'm heading to Venice in a couple weeks, anybody have any suggestions?

2. alantani

alantani Senior Member

is the star bottoming out? is the spectra spinning on the spool? alan

3. Mitchw123456

the star is bottoming out and from the star to the handle itself there is a space of probably an 1/8 of an inch.. It almost looks like its missing a drag washer with the space between the handle and drag wheel.

The spectra is not slipping on the spool.

4. alantani

alantani Senior Member

just underneath the star is a graphite washer (key #4a). if it's missing, add one. if there is one present, add another one. i think you have a spacing issue but there is no reason that a stock reel should have this type of problem. there is clearly something wrong........

5. gmack

gmack Senior Member

Contact the store you bought it from. I had a problem with a Penn Baja Special that had a cracked side plate when it came in. I had ordered it from TackleDirect in NJ. They shipped me another reel and had UPS pickup the damaged reel no questions asked.

Gary

6. Mitchw123456

Contact the store you bought it from. I had a problem with a Penn Baja Special that had a cracked side plate when it came in. I had ordered it from TackleDirect in NJ. They shipped me another reel and had UPS pickup the damaged reel no questions asked.

Gary

That would definetly be an option, except I picked it up off an indivitual off of ebay. I fiddled with the reel some yesterday afternoon and it is putting out more drag, it just has the gap still on the handle.

7. linesider04

linesider04 Junior member

The Torque comes with the Versa drag. Check the oreintation of the drag washers for maximum Drag. The should be () () or )( )(. I thought they were shipped this way but may have been put in differently.