Penn Conquer

Discussion in 'Reels' started by rebel, Nov 8, 2009.

1. rebel

rebel Senior Member

Any updates from actual users on this reel?

2. Tunanorth

Tunanorth Senior Member

Have now caught a total of about 25 mixed tuna on my Conquer 7000, mostly albacore and yellowfin from 20 to 42 pounds, along with about a dozen yellowtail from 15 to 25 pounds.
    Generally rigged with 50-pound braid [250 yard capacity] and a short 40-pound fluorocarbon leader, max drag of 32 pounds is way more than I actually use.
    It has been flawless so far, and I am personally mediocre at best when it comes to reel care.
    I do use Salt-X after every use, but have not yet opened up the "service hatch", even though it is incredibly easy on this model.
    Also just got word that a larger 8000 size Conquer will be debuted at next year's ICAST Show.

Disclaimer- affiliated
    Penn Pro Staffer

3. explorer

explorer Member

Have now caught a total of about 25 mixed tuna on my Conquer 7000, mostly albacore and yellowfin from 20 to 42 pounds, along with about a dozen yellowtail from 15 to 25 pounds.
    Generally rigged with 50-pound braid [250 yard capacity] and a short 40-pound fluorocarbon leader, max drag of 32 pounds is way more than I actually use.

Disclaimer- affiliated
    Penn Pro Staffer

250 YARDS with 50lbs Braid? Is that the Maximum you can put on or you can spool on more? What Brand Braid you were using..... since PowerPro and Daiwa might be a big difference diameter in this case. About to pull the trigger next week and dying to know it:)

4. A.whitman

A.whitman Senior Member

i have played with them. i really like the feel of them. i will be buying a conquer 5000 as my light jigging reel. pe4 max should be fun. i will review it after i put it to the test.

5. Tunanorth

Tunanorth Senior Member

250 YARDS with 50lbs Braid? Is that the Maximum you can put on or you can spool on more? What Brand Braid you were using..... since PowerPro and Daiwa might be a big difference diameter in this case. About to pull the trigger next week and dying to know it:)

That capacity is using 50 pound Big Game Braid solid.
    I pack it on extremely tight, so that's about the max you could fit of that brand, make your calculations from there.
    Sometime later this year there will be an 8000 size Conquer made available for those who need more capacity.

Disclaimer- affiliated

6. explorer

explorer Member

That capacity is using 50 pound Big Game Braid solid.
    I pack it on extremely tight, so that's about the max you could fit of that brand, make your calculations from there.
    Sometime later this year there will be an 8000 size Conquer made available for those who need more capacity.

Disclaimer- affiliated

Thank you......... I am hoping to get 210 yards onto it with the 70lbs Samurai which is 14lbs Diameter (0.016"/0.40mm). Anyone know a formular that can do that number/math the right way? I read it somewhere but can't find it again:mad: