360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
1,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was wondering what the body and rotor was made of on these reels. i have felt them and they feel great! i might pull the trigger if the rotor is metal. otherwise ill stick with my cabo 60.

·
490 Posts
to me it felt like metal, maybe cast aluminum?
i had the opportunity to spool on up at the tackle shop and pull drag on it.
it was easiy putting out 20lbs with a full spool according the the hand scale.
nice little reel in my opinion. the only thing that makes me nervous is the way the body opens up. definitely easier to service but definitely easier for water to get in.

·
-- Tackle Ho --
2,784 Posts
Andrew,

I was at Bass Pro the other day and they have the one that was cut in half so that you can look at the inside. I didn't look at it carefully but I believe the gear was metal, I know for sure that the body was metal. Honestly though, I don't think it is worth to get it, if you already have the Cabo 60, I say stick with that you won't regret it. I just don't think this reel will handle the abuse that will be put through on saltwater.

·
131 Posts
The frame, rotor, and sideplate on the Conquer are aluminum. Gears are as well.

I'm thinking of buying one this spring for tarpon here in Tampa.

PB

·
518 Posts
As a Penn Pro Staffer, I have been using the Conquer 7000 since late Spring.
Filled with 50 pound braid, it has caught numerous CA yellowtail and albacore up to 40 pounds, along with a 42-pound yellowfin tuna and dozens of smaller misc. fish.
Definitely an all-metal body and rotor construction.
The "service hatch" might be a concern for hardcore surfcasters who "skish" and "dunk" regularly, but for boat-based or even jetty and pier anglers, it's not much of an issue.
I talked at length with the engineer who designed it at the ICAST Show last summer, and the reel is intended as the next step up from the Penn Slammer series reels, and is really an excellent choice at that $200-$225 price point for people who can't/won't go up to the "mega-reels" at the $700-$1000 price point.
BTW, an 8000 size is planned for introduction at next years ICAST Show.

Disclaimer- affiliated

·
1,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
cool.i will keep my cabo regardless. i actually bought it from Glenn three years ago when he went all stella for 100 dollars. it has treated me well.
I wonder where it is made? usa of overseas? still i might buy one instead of the satlist. i need a low gear ratio. i hope daiwa comes out with a low gear saltist after they have made some money from the high speed ones. by then it might be to late.

·
131 Posts
As a Penn Pro Staffer, I have been using the Conquer 7000 since late Spring.
Filled with 50 pound braid, it has caught numerous CA yellowtail and albacore up to 40 pounds, along with a 42-pound yellowfin tuna and dozens of smaller misc. fish.
Definitely an all-metal body and rotor construction.
The "service hatch" might be a concern for hardcore surfcasters who "skish" and "dunk" regularly, but for boat-based or even jetty and pier anglers, it's not much of an issue.
I talked at length with the engineer who designed it at the ICAST Show last summer, and the reel is intended as the next step up from the Penn Slammer series reels, and is really an excellent choice at that $200-$225 price point for people who can't/won't go up to the "mega-reels" at the $700-$1000 price point.
BTW, an 8000 size is planned for introduction at next years ICAST Show.

Disclaimer- affiliated

Steve,

Do you know what the major differences are from a performance perspecive between the Slammer and Conquest? I know the Conquest has more BBs and it's a different design -- but are the supposed impact/improvements? I was looking at the Slammer 760 as an all-around 20lbs mono reel and a 2nd spool w/ 65lbs braid reel, but now the Conquest is interesting and not too much more $$.

Secondly, what is the story with Penns "numbering system" for reels? The SSm reels go 650/750/850/950. The Slammers are 460/560/760. Now the Conquest has it's own size and numbering systems. Any chance for some consistency? Talk about confusing!

Tom

·
518 Posts
Steve,

Do you know what the major differences are from a performance perspecive between the Slammer and Conquest? I know the Conquest has more BBs and it's a different design -- but are the supposed impact/improvements? I was looking at the Slammer 760 as an all-around 20lbs mono reel and a 2nd spool w/ 65lbs braid reel, but now the Conquest is interesting and not too much more $$.

Secondly, what is the story with Penns "numbering system" for reels? The SSm reels go 650/750/850/950. The Slammers are 460/560/760. Now the Conquest has it's own size and numbering systems. Any chance for some consistency? Talk about confusing!

Tom

Tom,
You've got it; more ball bearings, more robust overall, the service hatch, and most important [to me] the Conquer 7000 has 9 drag washers [4 metal, 5 HT100], each about the size of a silver dollar, for substantially more braking surface.
The only drawback is that the quantity and size of the drag washers make the inner diameter of the spool very large, restricting the line capacity to 250 yards of 50 pound braid [325 of 30].
Max drag spec for Slammer is 15 pounds for 560, and 20 pounds for 760, with 32 pounds listed for Conquer 7000 [? for 8000].
Haven't physically held a Conquer 8000 yet, but the Conquer 7000 is around 2 ounces lighter than the Slammer 560, so hopefully the 8000 will also be lighter for the same line capacity.

·
518 Posts
Tom,
You've got it; more ball bearings, more robust overall, the service hatch, and most important [to me] the Conquer 7000 has 9 drag washers [4 metal, 5 HT100], each about the size of a silver dollar, for substantially more braking surface.
The only drawback is that the quantity and size of the drag washers make the inner diameter of the spool very large, restricting the line capacity to 250 yards of 50 pound braid [325 of 30].
Max drag spec for Slammer is 15 pounds for 560, and 20 pounds for 760, with 32 pounds listed for Conquer 7000 [? for 8000].
Haven't physically held a Conquer 8000 yet, but the Conquer 7000 is around 2 ounces lighter than the Slammer 560, so hopefully the 8000 will also be lighter for the same line capacity.

Should add that the Conquer has the "superline spool" so that you don't have to use any kind of backing with braid, and the spool lip is designed to cut down on wind knots.
As for the numbering system, the older SS's and Slammers have held on to their original unique systems, with Conquers, Sargus, and all future introductions adhering to the customary uniform standardized sizes.

·
1,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
how does the paint job hold up? does it hold us as well as the ssm? i had another reel and it its paint shed and chipped making the reel look abused.

·
518 Posts
how does the paint job hold up? does it hold us as well as the ssm? i had another reel and it its paint shed and chipped making the reel look abused.

It's pretty early to tell for sure, but so far, no chips, dings, or other visible marks.

·
5,457 Posts

All of my penn spinners look like that, I had a slammer powder coated and it still has the filiform corrosion that they all get.

d-a

·
490 Posts
my buddy fished a 7000 size reel on saturday out of hatteras. caught a 120lb bluefin on it with a jig. said it held up well. good test for this little reel.

·
1,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i ended up buying a 5000 and will test it this year on reef fish and cobia/kings. we will see how it hold up compared to my stradics and cabo.

·
854 Posts
i ended up buying a 5000 and will test it this year on reef fish and cobia/kings. we will see how it hold up compared to my stradics and cabo.

What did you spool on to that Conquer 5000? Brand, poundage and how many yards you managed without overspool?

Ordered a 7000 (yet to reach me ) and always wanted to know if what they stated on the web~site is true about 20lb/400yds, 30lb/325yds, 50lb/250yds

·
1,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
i will put pe3 on there. i have yet to do so as there was a mix up in the post office. i want to use daiwa boat braid 40/pe3

·
1,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
i put 250 yards of PE4(daiwa boat braid) on my conquer 5000. as it states on the spool that it will hold 250 yards of 12 pound test. the 55lb(pe4) boat braid says its the diameter of 10lb mono. so dont go by the braid stats on the spool they are false. it has room for more if i was greedy too...

·
854 Posts
i put 250 yards of PE4(daiwa boat braid) on my conquer 5000. as it states on the spool that it will hold 250 yards of 12 pound test. the 55lb(pe4) boat braid says its the diameter of 10lb mono. so dont go by the braid stats on the spool they are false. it has room for more if i was greedy too...

Nice, I am hoping I can put 250yards of PE5 Daiwa on my 7000. Go catch a big fish and tell us how it feel/work.:)

·
52 Posts
I have had a 5000 for a year now. Lots of kingfish, snappers, grouper, BFT and a couple of dolphin. I love the reel. Nothing but good things to say about. My 8 year old son calls it the lucky reel. So, there you have it. Take the work of an 8 year old. LOL.

LT

1 - 20 of 23 Posts