Penn 950SSM Braid Question for SBFT

Discussion in 'Tackle and Rigging' started by The Riddler, Jul 13, 2009.

1. The Riddler

The Riddler Junior member

I have a couple of spools of 300 yards of 50lb Power Pro hanging around and a Berkley line winder. Just wondering how much 50lb Power Pro can be squeezed onto the 950 spool with electrical tape for backing on the spool and using an at home method with the Berkley line winder.

Thanks in advance and thanks for a helpful website. Looking forward to getting more into BFT's.

2. north coast

north coast Senior Member

I have a couple of spools of 300 yards of 50lb Power Pro hanging around and a Berkley line winder. Just wondering how much 50lb Power Pro can be squeezed onto the 950 spool with electrical tape for backing on the spool and using an at home method with the Berkley line winder.

Thanks in advance and thanks for a helpful website. Looking forward to getting more into BFT's.

I don't know how much 50 that spool will hold (a lot) but in my opinion, 50 just isn't heavy enough for these fish. I'm thinking by the fall 80 won't be heavy enough. It isn't doing these fish any good to be dragging a plug(or whatever) and a bunch of line around. hearing about a ton of breakoffs this year. Do yourself,and the fish a favor and go to at least 80.

3. The Riddler

Thanks for the advice but I am staying with what I got.

4. rtran

rtran Senior Member

I second going heavier for reasons north coast has said.

5. The Riddler

ok....exit stage right. :rolleyes:

6. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

The Riddler,
    I made 8th trip for bluefin popping in Cape Cod this year.
    I think North Coast gave you right advice. I am not saying you can not catch 150 - 200 lbs bluefin with 50 lbs line. It is definitely doable as Penn 950 can hold lots of 50 lbs line. However it will kill you by fighting long popping rod with light drag. I would say the minimum initial drag to fight big bluefin is at least 18 lbs. bluefin usually don't fight well with poppers in their mouth, but tuna are tuna. If you are reluctant to use heavier line, consider 65 braided line. Capt Dom uses 65 lbs braided line on his Saragosa 18000F and landed bluefin over 200 lbs with 18 - 20 lbs drag.
    think about what bait fishermen use to catch same size of tuna in Cape Cod.
    You'll never see any bait fishermen use 50 lbs line for 150 - 200 lbs tuna.

7. pametfisher

pametfisher Senior Member

I have a couple of Penn 950s that I used Powerpro on last year. The answer to your question is: close to 600 yards.

If you use the Berkley winder it won't be that tight and the top 100 yards will have the wrong twist for casting (see my note in the Tackle section). You should really use 10 lbs. of pressure if you can find a way to do it.

I removed all my Powerpro line (30# test! that a dealer put on by accident instead of the 50# I ordered) because it wasn't strong enough for BFT in CCB for me. Assuming your knots are NOT a Bimini Twist or P.R./Mid, I know from a huge amount of testing that they will break between 30 lbs. and 35 lbs., if they are well tied. Also assuming that you tie the spools together with a good Uni knot, it will break between 30 and 35 too. If you start at 18 lbs. drag, which is the max for the Penn 950, by the time you got to the knot, the drag will have increase to almost 30 lbs. To me, that would be cutting it close.

My advice would be to tie a good 50-turn Bimini on the end of each line where they connect between spools and loop to loop them together. Then use a P.R. or Mid to tie the 50# PP to a 10' 80# or 100# stretchy leader. I could fish that system but it would be my lowest limit here in CCB for BFT.

8. The Riddler

Things are were so much simpler banging Albies around Newport in my kayak with 4000 class reels. I really hope that bait returns this year.

After the advice here and and Pamets thoughts on joing the lines and potential issues I think I will head down and get my reel loaded up with 65lb. I appreciate the time gentlemen and thanks for helping a newbie.

9. rtran

rtran Senior Member

tuffline xp is an affordable line and is a pretty good line
    take a look into that