Penn 950SS for tuna????

Discussion in 'Tackle and Rigging' started by stresst, Sep 30, 2008.

1. stresst

stresst Senior Member

I just found my old penn 950SS the old metal one. What need to been done to make it tuna worthy? Or am I wasting my time. I really dont have a grand to buy a zeebass-lol Is anybody using these reels today? :confused:

2. Minnow

Minnow Administrator

It's not worth the trouble to upgrade this reel, just use it the way it's and it should be fine.

Set your drag about 8-10lb and add more drag pressure using your palm. Hold your spool at the same time you lift the rod, JMO.

3. stresst

stresst Senior Member

Are there any drag upgrades at least? 8-10lbs??? I like 12-18 better-lol
    Do you have any idea how much 50lb braid it should hold? I am assuming 400+?

4. Minnow

Minnow Administrator

yes there are plenty of upgrade for this reel but it will cost you $$$. here is the link to up grade for Penn spinner. One more site

It should hold more than 450 yards, since this reel will hold 310 yards of 30lb mono.

5. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

the drag is sticky over 20 or 22lbs.....18 is the max is you want it to be at all smooth

6. canyondiver

canyondiver Guest

Too bad the site is only in Japanese, and most all of the nice mods, like drags and infinite A/R pinion setups are all sold out!

7. canyondiver

canyondiver Guest

the drag is sticky over 20 or 22lbs.....18 is the max is you want it to be at all smooth
    Bret,
    Is this with greased drags?
    I haven't spooled mine up yet, but I have done a little light modding and the drag feels like it has almost no static friction with the drag screwed down tight, and I would not fish it this way.
    Back off a turn and it feels fine.

8. stresst

stresst Senior Member

Too bad the site is only in Japanese, and most all of the nice mods, like drags and infinite A/R pinion setups are all sold out!

You aint kidding. I am gonna order some sushi, maybe the delivery guy can order for me-lol I have to call Dawn and see if she has carbontex for this reel. This reel isover 10-12 years old never serviced,I would not attempt to go offshore with stock drags.

9. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

Bret,
    Is this with greased drags?
    I haven't spooled mine up yet, but I have done a little light modding and the drag feels like it has almost no static friction with the drag screwed down tight, and I would not fish it this way.
    Back off a turn and it feels fine.

i used to have one and "pulled" up to 28 or 29 lbs on it. Felt like garbage though.

This was stock, no upgraded drags. Mind you, I say smooth as in the test was smooth. I don't think it'd last on a big run by a tuna or amberjack. I sold it and bought a stella before that ever happened :)

If you want to know what happens to cheaper reels with big fish....ask glenn how that fin nor worked out for him when fishing in NC....:p

10. lite-liner

lite-liner troll enforcement Staff Member

Stresst, Canyondiver:

Before you get knee-deep in modding these reels, There will always be
    "weak-spots". I know, because I did the same thing you're doing, for the same reasons. Mine's an older 8500ss, and I have about 225 bucks in it
    w/ the C-tex drags, smoothie drag plates, stainless gearset, the "Kona"
    anti-reverse conversion, Etc.
    Long and short, not worth it. all those mods will only make it barely adequate for tuna, and still too heavy for jigging or popping.
    for the money I've spent on my reel, I could have (& finally did) bought
    a Cabo-80, or a Saragosa, or a Thunnus, and had better performance out of the box, lighter weight, and a warranty.
    Just my opinion, but good luck whatever you decide
    tight lines
    -Brian

11. cabosandinh

cabosandinh Moderator

I have to agree with LiteLiner, just use it the way it is until it breaks
    then hang it on the wall as battle scar trophy. I do have the old 9500, 8500,
    7500,6500 and I do intend on catching tuna with 9500 and 8500
    My upgraded drag will be my hand on the spool and by using the bend of
    the rod to create more drag.

12. Muddskipper

Muddskipper Senior Member

I sold mine on ebay for what it cost brand new....
    and
    Sold another to a good bud...

We have landed up to 65lb Yellow fin on poppers.....

Everyone is right....do some standard maintence and dont worry about the upgrades....

They are good entry level reels, and will catch fish, but they do have their limits.....

13. BIGV2832

BIGV2832 Senior Member

The Penn 9500ss will hold a ton of 50 lb braid. I have an 8500 with 50 lb power pro and I have about 450 yards of line.

14. d-a

d-a Senior Member

The Penn 9500ss will hold a ton of 50 lb braid. I have an 8500 with 50 lb power pro and I have about 450 yards of line.

Its not the capacity, its the gears,drags,handle that will break on you. Also most dont want anything less than 65lb braid for casting to tuna.

d-a

15. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

i mean, you see idiots using freshwater spinning reels with 30lb mono casting for tuna and every now and then theyll land one. so it IS possible. granted, everyone else will hate you on the boat.

for a little extra money, buy one of the other reels mentioned. the penn weighs what....8 pounds or something? it's so heavy. if you're using proper drags, 99% of the tuna caught in the gulf won't take more than 100yds anyway.

16. stresst

stresst Senior Member

Stresst, Canyondiver:

Before you get knee-deep in modding these reels, There will always be
    "weak-spots". I know, because I did the same thing you're doing, for the same reasons. Mine's an older 8500ss, and I have about 225 bucks in it
    w/ the C-tex drags, smoothie drag plates, stainless gearset, the "Kona"
    anti-reverse conversion, Etc.
    Long and short, not worth it. all those mods will only make it barely adequate for tuna, and still too heavy for jigging or popping.
    for the money I've spent on my reel, I could have (& finally did) bought
    a Cabo-80, or a Saragosa, or a Thunnus, and had better performance out of the box, lighter weight, and a warranty.
    Just my opinion, but good luck whatever you decide
    tight lines
    -Brian

Thats what I needed to hear! I would prefer buying a new 400 reel, than sticking 250 into the penn and still it not being worthy. Thanks for the replies.

Next up than? What spinners without a ZB or VS or Stella be good for Neast popping? Whats the best reel for the money?

17. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

You might get a couple of tuna to the boat with the Penn 9500ss before it breaks. I'd just save the reel as a collector item before you ruin it. It will gain you a higher rate than any CD from any bank. In ten years, it will probably sell for 450 dollars as a collector item as long as it is in good shape. If you have the original box and paperwork, it will command much more.

I found a super deal today. I got an email from the Finest Kind. (tackle shop)
    Shimano has authorized all dealers to get rid of their inventory of all Stella FA reels. They had nine (9) Stella 10000FA's in stock. Sale price 350.00

Don't bother calling them, as someone picked up most the the remaining inventory of these reels.:D They are all gone. You have to act fast these days to pick up on great deals.:D Heres a copy of the email.

The Finest Kind Economic Stimulus Package
    Shimano® Stella 10000FA
    Was $660.00

Now $350.00*
    That's like Finest Kind writing you a check for $310.00!
    Hurry, supplies are limited!

*Offer valid on in-stock reels only. Offer expires midnight, October 7, 2008

18. Cedric

Cedric Member

I started jigging with an older 850 and I mashed up the gears after a while. It didn't do well with braid and the tighter drag. I wish I hadn't beat the crap out of it jigging, it was a jewel before and I had many sailfish and whites with it with 15-20 mono .

19. lite-liner

lite-liner troll enforcement Staff Member

Next up than? What spinners without a ZB or VS or Stella be good for Neast popping? Whats the best reel for the money?

Well, obviously you're not gonna get a Stella for $300 bucks(thanks, Mr. Bill!:rolleyes: )

but there are other less expensive reels that are ready out of the box to battle big fish.
    Stay away from the Fin-Nor reels. junk. simple as that.
    the Shimano Thunnus and Saragosa lines have proven themselves
    @around $250.00
    My personal Choice is the Quantum Cabo 70,80. absolutely awesome performance and they can be had for less than $200

if money is no object, it's gonna be the Stella or Accurate twinspin
    hands down. I just cant get my brain around a $1500-1700 jigging or popping setup.
    again just my opinion
    tight lines
    -Brian

20. SkeeterRonnie

SkeeterRonnie Senior Member

sell it and buy a shimano spheros with the money and call Dawn for the carbon fiber drags for the spheros....