penn 9500 drag washers

Discussion in 'Reel Repair' started by etan, Jul 13, 2008.

1. etan

etan Senior Member

If I replace the drag on a 9500 what is the best kind to use and where can I get them? Thanks for the help.

2. Deep_Sea_Gull

Deep_Sea_Gull Lifetime Supporting Members

6-950MSP Drag Kit

Scott's has been great to me. I would give them a call and ask. You'll get knowledgeable answers.

You can also try SMOoOTH DRAG *** Can Stop Anything ***
    I do not see that they list that actual drag washer. I think that a phone call would get what you need.

I would put a carbontex washer in with Cal's drag grease if it were me and I could get the parts...

3. Formula4Fish

Formula4Fish Senior Member

Hi Nate,

If you want Penn replacements, you can get them from Buy Penn Reel Parts On-line With No Hassle: www.PennParts.com

Otherwise, I'd recommend you PM Alan Tani and solicit his advice (if he doesn't see this and offer it up)

Or Snagged, or DSG :)

I'd be interested in the answer as well, I have a 850SS it would apply to.

Dick

4. Deep_Sea_Gull

Formula4Fish,

The 8500 and 9500ss are not the same drag system. Your 8500 is supported by Smooth drags. At least they have the smoothies. I would either use the stock Penn HT-100s or Carbontex. Lightly apply some Cal's grease.

5. Deep_Sea_Gull

I had to do a little digging when posting my answers. I try to ensure that I am not misleading anyone when I post about reels.

I found that I had some parts that I had forgotten about.

I have two... stainless steel, 12 tooth, anti reverse, ratchet gears. Brand new. They fit Penn 7500ss and 8500ss reels. These are custom made parts that double the number anti reverse stops over a stock, brass ratchet.

$25 shipped in USA each.

6. alantani

alantani Senior Member

i think the teflon drag washer is the same size as a #6-60 penn ht-100 carbon fiber drag washer. i'd just use one of those and slap a coat of cal's grease on it. the drive plate is no longer available from penn. pennparts.com has a conversion kit for $40. if the drive plate you have is already carbon fiber, take an old rag, rub out some of the old crud, slap a thick coat of cal's grease on it and put the reel back together. if you're lucky, you'll be into this for $1, not $40.

7. Deep_Sea_Gull

Alan,

please explain where this teflon drag washer is nad how to replace it for those that do not know.

THANKS!

8. alantani

alantani Senior Member

the teflon washer (key #56T) is underneath the drag knob (key #52). you have to pull off the spool, remove the retaining ring (key #51) and the keyed metal washer (key #57). to check the main drag washer (key #117), you have to remove the drag cover (key #47C) located on the underside of the spool. just slap a coat of grease on it and throw it back in. don't worry about the excess. it will just squeeze out the sides and add more protection for the drag washer. alan

PENN 9500SS Parts List

9. Deep_Sea_Gull