penn 950 ssm or Saragosa

Discussion in 'Reels' started by tkaquatex, Feb 19, 2008.

1. tkaquatex

tkaquatex Junior member

Have a new Penn 950ssm and I"m putting a popping rig together. Have heard of beefing up the heavy 950 Penn But no details. On the other hand should I sell the 950 in the box and buy the new Shimano Saragosa? Hope to get the 7.5 80# OTI as the rod.

2. fish on

fish on Member

though i am a fin-nor man i will be completley honest with you i used to own a spheros 14000fa shimano spin reel it was a very nice reel but had a few flaws which i am glad shimano has addressed,but dollar for dollar shimano is leagues ahead of penn

3. gman

gman Senior Member

shimano without a doubt

4. SpecialK

SpecialK Super Moderator

I have a new Saragosa 18000. So far I am very impressed by the reel as far as price vs. qaulity. I have had experience with the 950ssm and I am convinved this is a much better reel. I should have more confirmation after I fish with it.

5. DeepBlueGulf

DeepBlueGulf Senior Member

Tom,

I would sell the Penn, and get the Saragosa, sight unseen!

DBG

6. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

I plan on buying a saragosa. The penn is nice for some applications, but for big gamefish I don't think it is smooth enough. When testing drags, 25lbs wasn't as smooth as I'd like. If you plan on making this a 15lb reel for surf fishing then it'd be great.

7. Josh

Josh Guest

what about the saragosa against the fin nor os95?

8. papio

papio Senior Member

Saragosa!! About anything is better than the OS95

9. Josh

Josh Guest

thanks well which saragosa would be recomended for yellowfin the 14000 or 18000?

10. papio

papio Senior Member

both of them will be fine for tuna with the 18000 having little more line capacity. i try to stay away from reels that's over 30oz. i've caught 70lb + tuna with Stradic 8000, so you can catch tuna on smaller reels.

i have the Penn 950ssm and caught many big fish with it. i like the HT100 drag, but the reel is simply too heavy and i don't have any use for it anymore. good luck on whatever tackle you decide on. i got 3 OTI rods including the 2-pc 7'6" 80lb, and i love them all.

11. Josh

Josh Guest

tru well my choice of reel is between the os series, saragosa, or cabo i just dont know which 1 to go with. my rods are custom built by a guy on my island. thanks for the insight.

12. jser

jser Junior member

why not the new spheros fb? better than the os and cabo, and practically the same as the saragosa b/s the cosmetics

13. Josh

Josh Guest

well i was leaning towards the saragosa because the 18000 can swap handles with the 20000 stella. from what ive read about the cabo pt 80 its a pretty strong reel but im looking for somthing to handle 30# drag in long fights because the fish here run lots of drag because they are chased by sharks so i need a reel that wont melt down or smoke and im trying to avoid the high price tag of a stella.

14. jser

jser Junior member

they both have the same drag in them spheros and sara. they both are such a similar reels it's not funny. even those dart washers will wear out and you'll probably have to get some carbontex. since they are soo identical, i would check to make sure the handle on the stella wouldn't fit on the new spheros b/c from what i can see that's the only thing in favor of the sara.

15. SpecialK

SpecialK Super Moderator

they both have the same drag in them spheros and sara. they both are such a similar reels it's not funny. even those dart washers will wear out and you'll probably have to get some carbontex. since they are soo identical, i would check to make sure the handle on the stella wouldn't fit on the new spheros b/c from what i can see that's the only thing in favor of the sara.
    Plus if I am not mistaken the saragosa has an extra bearing supporting the handle shaft instead of a bushing.

16. Josh

Josh Guest

and the saragosa also has the titanium spool lip which makes it better for braid. i also hope to get a set of carbontex drags when i get the reel just for spare. my only worry with the saragosa is that the plastic drag knob will overheat and meltdown because ive seen the drag knobs on the baitrunners that look similar meltdown and lockup the reel causeing fish to be lost.

17. SkeeterRonnie

SkeeterRonnie Senior Member

baitrunners dont have the drags to handle the heat... before I would ever chunk a topwater, i would personally be changing the drags to carbon fibers...

18. Josh

Josh Guest

well ill be using the reel for livebaiting using 25-35#s of drag. im just looking for a reel tht will handle that pressure for long fights. and the saragosa seems to be ideal and no one here has tested them so im looking for any opinions. and ive burnt out the drags in my old style 950penn and ive heard the new ones are worse so im looking for a smooth drag with consistant pressure and i know shimano has a good name for smooth drags.