Penn 950 SSM Maximum Drag

Discussion in 'Tackle and Rigging' started by pametfisher, Oct 29, 2008.

1. pametfisher

pametfisher Senior Member

I've been using Penn 950 ssm reels this year for SBFT and have brought several to boatside. The fights have been long, in part because I've been using 12# drag. I can't find any Penn technical information on this so I'm wondering what experience others have had with the upper limit on drag setting for this reel. Any and all thoughts would be appreciated.

2. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

realistically i wouldnt do over 18lbs or so. i think it could be more but it will not be very smooth.

3. pametfisher

Thank you. I wonder why Penn doesn't enlighten us with data on this?

4. d-a

d-a Senior Member

Thank you. I wonder why Penn doesn't enlighten us with data on this?

They have never had to, most fishermen won't put more than 10lbs of drag on one. Then you have guys like us that push tackle to the extreme and find out that the pen's will break if pushed hard.

d-a

5. NEMO

NEMO Member

I'm not a pro when it comes to Penn reels but there is a gentleman on this board alantani who overhaul'd my Penn 50w who seems to know everything about Penn and the Drag systems, PM him and he should be able to answer all your questions, he's a good guy.

6. lite-liner

lite-liner troll enforcement Staff Member

the SSm reels are a good re-design, but all improvements are nullified by the
    poor-quality materials used. Typically, the sintered-brass main gear will break in half with about 15# of drag against it. (relplace w/ solid brass 950ss part)
    I have an older-model 8500SS that is highly mod'ed. stainless-steel gears,
    double anti-reverse, etc. W/ the CarbonTex drags & s/s washers, it makes
    21# of useable drag. Yes, it's smooth. Yes, I've caught 50# tunas on it. the issue is, after an additional $100 in modifications, it's still a heavy, bulky, ungainly reel that doesnt like braid.
    My recommendation is use it till it breaks, then buy a Quantum Cabo 70,80 or Shimano Saragosa. you can have more drag, lighter weight and better overall performance for right around $200
    I agree w/ Hal, Alan Tani is a reel Guru that has taught me a lot thru his posts & rebuild pictorials.
    just my opinion, good luck on the Bluefin!
    -Brian

7. pametfisher

the SSm reels are a good re-design, but all improvements are nullified by the
    poor-quality materials used. Typically, the sintered-brass main gear will break in half with about 15# of drag against it. (relplace w/ solid brass 950ss part)
    I have an older-model 8500SS that is highly mod'ed. stainless-steel gears,
    double anti-reverse, etc. W/ the CarbonTex drags & s/s washers, it makes
    21# of useable drag. Yes, it's smooth. Yes, I've caught 50# tunas on it. the issue is, after an additional $100 in modifications, it's still a heavy, bulky, ungainly reel that doesnt like braid.
    My recommendation is use it till it breaks, then buy a Quantum Cabo 70,80 or Shimano Saragosa. you can have more drag, lighter weight and better overall performance for right around $200
    I agree w/ Hal, Alan Tani is a reel Guru that has taught me a lot thru his posts & rebuild pictorials.
    just my opinion, good luck on the Bluefin!
    -Brian

Thanks to you and everyone else for their thoughts on this. I had planned to buy a big Saragosa but they weren't available when I was buying this summer. I'm going to look at Alan's posts and see what I can learn. A number of guys in this area are landing 100# plus Bluefins in my area and are using 18# drag on the 950ssm (or maybe older or modded reeels). I'm trying to decide whether to use these reels till they break (many screws were loose when I got them) or trade them in over the winter.

In your opinion, how big is the difference between Saragosa and the mortgage-busting Stella in the big reels--SW18000 and SW20000?

8. d-a

d-a Senior Member

For @ 200 dollars more than a new Saragossa you can get a 20000. Most guys that I know who had saragossa's upgraded to a stella within a year.

If you buy good gear from the beginning you buy once and cry once, if you dont you buy often and cry often.

d-a

9. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

whether a stella is worth it or not depends how often you fish and what you fish for. saragosas are good reels especially if you don't fish too often and target tuna that are generally under 100lbs (as they are off texas). nothing is a stella, but i think saragosas are very nice reels.

as doug said an older model stella should be 400-500 brand new right now..........and there is such a minor difference (esp on the largest models) between that and the new ones that IMO its a better buy anyway.

10. stresst

stresst Senior Member

whether a stella is worth it or not depends how often you fish and what you fish for. saragosas are good reels especially if you don't fish too often and target tuna that are generally under 100lbs (as they are off texas). nothing is a stella, but i think saragosas are very nice reels.

as doug said an older model stella should be 400-500 brand new right now..........and there is such a minor difference (esp on the largest models) between that and the new ones that IMO its a better buy anyway.

Exactly!
    Stella's are over the place in the recent past few weeks. My buddy just bought a 20k in the box with 3 handles,spare spool for under 6, shipped.

11. Fishhead56

Fishhead56 Senior Member

12. pametfisher

Exactly!
    Stella's are over the place in the recent past few weeks. My buddy just bought a 20k in the box with 3 handles,spare spool for under 6, shipped.

That sounds like a pretty good deal. Where could I start looking for a 20K at a price like that?

13. d-a

d-a Senior Member

That sounds like a pretty good deal. Where could I start looking for a 20K at a price like that?

Classified ads on here and deepjigging.com plus Ebay

d-a