Penn 950 ssm HT-100 Drag

Discussion in 'Reel Repair' started by pametfisher, Nov 15, 2008.

1. pametfisher

pametfisher Senior Member

I'm servicing my 950 ssm reel and am wondering about the proper treatment of the drag. The reel is new this August. The 950 ssm has a large drag washer on the bottom and a small drag washer on the top. Both have some grease on them. I don't know the type or when it was applied.

I have seen contradictory advice about whether this drag should be greased.

If drag systems are like disc brakes, wouldn't a dry disc produce more friction?

If grease is appropriate I would like to understand what grease does in this application and its affect on drag performance. I would also appreciate any views on the best grease to use and why that type.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help,

2. ichibahn

ichibahn ** Pak Lurah **

3. pametfisher

You can run HT-100 drag washer dry, but will be jerky on high drag setting.
    Here's the link for cal's drag grease to make it run smoother:
    SMOoOTH DRAG *** Can Stop Anything ***

Thanks for the quick answer and the link. Why doesn't the lubricant reduce the amount of drag that the washer can create? Best,

4. ichibahn

ichibahn ** Pak Lurah **

Thanks for the quick answer and the link. Why doesn't the lubricant reduce the amount of drag that the washer can create? Best,
    Probably because of high viscosity on cal's drag grease.

5. d-a

d-a Senior Member

On a spinning reel you wouldn't notice it because you can tighten the spool nut down till something breaks to compensate for it. In your case it will be the plastic that breaks. I have several that are broke

6. ichibahn

ichibahn ** Pak Lurah **

On a spinning reel you wouldn't notice it because you can tighten the spool nut down till something breaks to compensate for it. In your case it will be the plastic that breaks. I have several that are broke
    Don't give anything made from plastic to Doug, He will broke it for sure :p

7. pametfisher

I used disc brake cleaner and took all the lube off, and as predicted, it surges a little when the knob is turned all the way down (till the spring bottoms). The drag might be a pound or two higher, at most. I'm going to order some Cal's and see what the change is. Thanks for the answers so far.

8. ichibahn

ichibahn ** Pak Lurah **

I used disc brake cleaner and took all the lube off, and as predicted, it surges a little when the knob is turned all the way down (till the spring bottoms). The drag might be a pound or two higher, at most. I'm going to order some Cal's and see what the change is. Thanks for the answers so far.
    Be careful with disc brake cleaner, It will ruin the paint finish on your reel and rubber seal !
    Been there done that ;)
    I will rather using mineral spirit to clean all the parts of the reel including drag washer.

9. pametfisher

Be careful with disc brake cleaner, It will ruin the paint finish on your reel and rubber seal !
    Been there done that ;)
    I will rather using mineral spirit to clean all the parts of the reel including drag washer.

Thank you for that warning, without your warning I would have been a victim. :eek:

By luck, I had removed the drag washers to the garage sink to clean them. I will now take care to keep the cleaner well away from the reel and other tackle.