Penn 650ss for jigging

Discussion in 'Jigging and Popping' started by scallywag, Feb 25, 2009.

1. scallywag

scallywag Junior member

I have two conventional jigging setups (long rod & short). I am now thinking about a spining outfit. I have an older 650ss Penn in mint condition, does anyone have experience with this reel for jigging. I was leaning towards hopper rod as match. Not shore what drag rating this reel has. Thanks

2. SpecialK

SpecialK Super Moderator

If jigging for Aj watch out for the antireverse. The penn 650's were the first "offshore" spinning reels that I owned. They will work on smaller species just fine but a big Aj will tear them apart.

3. LST-Ray

LST-Ray Junior member

I would think a reel with instant anti reverse would be better for jigging. The slop/play could be as much a 1/8 of a turn of the crank. It is probably a bit on the small side too.

4. Fish'nFool

Fish'nFool Member

I've used my Penn 750ss for jigging and it held up just fine working 75+lb AJ, cobia and AP, spooled with 45lb braid. It all depends on what your afer.

5. spineyman

spineyman Senior Member

The reel will work just fine. My buddy jigs with a 6500 so it can be done. Just use it until it wears out and then replace it with something better.

6. Deep_Sea_Gull

Deep_Sea_Gull Lifetime Supporting Members

Welcome to the board!

You can use that reel to decide if jigging is your cup of tea. Sooner or later you'll either quit jigging or upgrade.

7. A.whitman

A.whitman Senior Member

i used mine for a year or so. it worked really well. it made a hell of alot of noise because of the antireverse clanging but it worked. i upgraded to the 650ssm and still use it today as my light jigging reel. use it for now. the older ss reel are built like tanks