Penn 16vsx

Discussion in 'Reels' started by gmack, Aug 23, 2008.

1. gmack

gmack Senior Member

Anybody know the drag ratings on the 16vsx (30#)? I need a stout reel for grouper/amberjack fishing and was thinking of the 16vsx. The other reel I was looking at is the Accurate B2-30. The accurate is unproven so I would have to wait and see how it works out. Also the Penn is about $200 cheaper.

Gary

2. gmack

gmack Senior Member

Also checking out the Quantum Aruba reels. Anybody have experience with them?

Gary

3. red34

red34 Guest

4. gmack

gmack Senior Member

Looks like some pretty beefy gearing in the Aruba. Wonder what type of anti-reverse it has? I'm gonna watch some ALD20PTsX on ebay and if I can steal one for under $200 I'll buy one.

Gary

5. gmack

gmack Senior Member

Well I just picked up a Quantum ALD20PTsX from ebay at a good deal. I'll report how it works out....although I may not use it in the near future. I'm actually going to put it on my custom Jigging Master 500gram rod and use it for jigging and live baiting AJ's and grouper.

Gary

6. ichibahn

ichibahn ** Pak Lurah **

Hi Gary,
    You got really good deal on that reel.

7. Jason4606

Jason4606 Tuna Club member

I couldn't find the weight of the ALD20PTsX online... Does anybody know?

Thanks!
    Jason

8. gmack

gmack Senior Member

I couldn't find the weight of the ALD20PTsX online... Does anybody know?

Thanks!
    Jason

According to tacke tour the 30 is 54.8oz. I'm guessing it to be close to that. Unlike Kil I don't jig all day. When I'm fishing live bait or dead bait it stays in the holder until the fish is hooked. When I'm jigging it will be for short periods of time.

Gary

9. Jason4606

Thanks Gary! I actually bought a 16VSX but I'm on the fence about keeping it... Will you post your impressions after you get your hands on the Quantum? Do you have a scale to get a weight guesstimate? (Don't need to the fraction of an oz. But still curious.)

Thanks!
    Jason

10. barbwire

barbwire Senior Member

Jason,is there something in particular you don't like about the reel? I am trying to decide on a 16 vsx or a 30 vsx. I found a smokin' deal on a 30, but can't find much feedback from people who have used them. Is there another reel that would be a better choice?

11. gmack

gmack Senior Member

Jason,

To tell you the truth I really like Penn reels. They may not be the best, but there is just something about Penn. Especially Penn Internationals. I like other reels, but when I dream about catching a blue water fish a Penn International is the reel I'm using. I would have bought a 16vsx, but the Quantum claims 40-something pounds of drag (verifed to at least 32# by TackleTour) versus the 28 on the penn and I was able to bottom feed the Aruba off ebay for about half of what the Penn cost. High drag is important due to the purpose of this reel being pulling AJ's/grouper off rigs. I've had good luck with my Quantum Cabo conventional reel. I'll let you know what I think of the Aruba and a round about weight.

Gary

12. Jason4606

Thanks Gary!

Barbwire - First off... I haven't even fished the Penn yet, and there are a lot of guys that know a LOT more than me that really, really like these reels. This is all just initial impressions:

I don't like the plastic parts - drag ratchet, locator pins, and gear selector button. The clicker goes from loud to really, really loud. There are only 3 screws holding each side plate and they're torx heads. (not a big deal unless you need to tear it down and forget to take the right bit) The handle arm is really short (same length as my Daiwa 30T?) and the egg knob is small and uncomfortable in my hand. Etc...

This is all nitpicky stuff. But it just doesn't give me the same confidence as the Avet 30/2 sitting next to it. (I bought both to try and help make up my mind.)

I'm really just curious now if the Aruba might be another option worth checking out that I didn't originally consider...

Thanks!
    Jason

13. barbwire

barbwire Senior Member

I have been looking at an Avet pro 30 too. I just can't make up my mind. I am trying to find a reel with the highest amount of drag for a chunking/bottom rig. Even considering an old school 6/0 Penn but can't find out how much drag it will produce.

14. gmack

gmack Senior Member

barbwire.......you should be able to get around 25# of drag from a 6/0.

15. barbwire

barbwire Senior Member

That's what I wanted to hear!Now if I can just convince myself how much good excersise I will get cranking in fish and heavy weights.LOL I have never used a 2 speed and I'm afraid I'll get spoiled if I do.

16. gmack

gmack Senior Member

barb.....

If you want a senator get ya a Baja Special. I love the ones I have. It's built a little beefier than the standard senator.

Gary

17. barbwire

barbwire Senior Member

Will do,thanks for the heads up.