Penn 113h bridge or sleeve issue

Discussion in 'Reel Repair' started by americo pullini, May 9, 2020.

1. americo pullini

americo pullini New Member

I have an older penn 113h with flange for outside drag access . The handle has a shake to it. After checking it out i found it not the handle causing the shaking or movement the bridge and sleeve have wear and have play. I want to be cheap if i can and not buy the set. How can i tell if its the bridge worn or sleeve

2. esgeo

esgeo Active Member

Usually it’s the brass sleeve wears where the handle crank arm mounts on it because the arm is harder than the brass sleeve. You can get an upgraded stainless steel gear sleeve, but I think they cost like $30. Look at Alantani.com website and you will find a thread or two about the topic if you search for “stainless steel gear sleeve”.

3. americo pullini

4. americo pullini

The connection between handle and the sleeve is solid. The play causing my wobble is between the bridge and sleeve. Im trying to avoid buying both. Is there a way to tell which of the 2 is worn. Thanks

5. Jim Bob

Jim Bob Junior member

The bridge plate and sleeve on that reel is a permanent assembly. Mysticparts.com will sell you a new one for $24 plus shipping. You can probably find a used one for less. Hope this helps.

esgeo likes this.
  6. day0ne

day0ne Senior Member

No it isn't. The sleeve can be removed from the bridge. That's how you put on a SS sleeve.
    That said, I haven't ever seen a sleeve wear enough to "shake", what ever that means. If you are talking about in and out play, that can be shimmed. If you are talking about the handle wobbling, the shaft on the bridge can come loose and wobble. Sometimes you can re peen the shaft, but replacing the bridge is recommended. Drive the pin out of the sleeve and remove it. You should be able to tell what's up then. If it's none of the above, then a better description is needed. I recommend you go to alantani.com and do some reading.

esgeo likes this.
  7. Jim Bob

Jim Bob Junior member

I stand corrected.

8. mchawk

mchawk Junior member

I've got many used 133h bridges and sleeves if you don't want to upgrade to the stainless steel (which I recomend) Give me a call or text and if you pay for shipping I'll send you a set for free.

9. americo pullini

Wow. Thanks for the great replies. Im 100 percent sure its not the handle and sleeve connection or needing a shim between the bridge and sleeve to stop that up and down or in and out play depending on what you call it. The sleeve has play on the shaft of the bridge. A new bridge would fix it. I was trying to be cheap and only buy a sleeve if i could prove that where the wear is. Thanks again guys for your input