Pelican tuna trip

Discussion in 'Pelagics' started by etan, Nov 8, 2006.

1. etan

etan Senior Member

I just went down to DSH to see the Pelican return from their 48 hr charter. They had a very good trip. 21 yellowfin, 50 to 80 lbs, with most of them to the heavy end of the range. They had limits of AJ ranging from 35 to 75 lbs, only one dink. The rest of the catch was about 50 blackfin, a 50ish grouper, 2 nice dolphin, about 10 cuda, and 1 scamp. Capt John said that the yft really turned on for about 30 minutes and then the moon came up and shut them off. From then on they had to work for every fish. He thought it was a good catch for a full moon. Monday morning running out they had about 10 ft rollers but the seas got better as the trip went along. I thought about snatching one of the yellowfin but they were too big for an old f..t to run with.

2. mcgolfer

mcgolfer Guest

thanks for the update nate.....rick

3. Deep_Sea_Gull

Deep_Sea_Gull Lifetime Supporting Members

Thanks for the report etan. That is a good catch considering the moon phase.

4. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

Well, I'm going this weekend any way. Moon and seas will be a little detriment. That's the way it goes. The tuna are there now as I heard a report from a private boat that had a topwater bite for a full 3 hours Tuesday night. The bite was right after sunset.

Thanks for the report Etan. Next time put on your track shoes and take a wheel barrow to steal those YF's from the dock. Most of guys coming off the boat are to tired to chase you anyway.

5. Good report. DSH has been a good dock for a long time on the LRT's. Glad we are moving off this full moon phase, should be getting better over the next few days.

Just keep my fingers crossed for continued good weather.

6. TeamOso

TeamOso Senior Member

Lets hope we are lucky to get a good catch like that on my 48hr on the 29th of December:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: