360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Nate (etan) was going on vacation and could not make the trip but asked me to submit a report so he could tuna fish via the internet. This one's for you ..... Bud.

We met at the docks about 5 AM and John (Brennan) began to fill us in on the game plan. There was a front due to hit Port A Monday morning at approximately 7 AM so he wanted to head for Diana, catch a limit ASAP and head for the house. Target time to head in was 3 AM. That would make us meet the front about half-way home.

We got to Diana at 3 PM and started to troll. We picked up the first YF on a blue and white Ilander with Ballyhoo. While stopped and waiting for the trolled fish to be landed we would toss artificials. By 5 PM we had 3 YF from trolling and 3 from topwaters. As soon as dark came the YF wanted Frenzy Ballistic Flyers.

I didn't have any flyers so I started throwing all the various topwaters I had. A blowup here and there but nothing solid. I then tied on a "cheapo" BPS topwater in a blue glitter that I had upgraded with new hooks and rings. It was then that I had the most spectacular blowup I had ever had. The tuna got on top and tailwalked for about 50 yards. I had this 100 pounder on my spinner and after about 20 minutes had her boatside. Both John (Brennan) and Keith (Banks) hit the fish with gaffs at the same time but neither one stuck. The fish made a huge surge and broke my 60# fluoro leader.

I then tied on another "cheapo". This one was a River 2 Sea mullet looking thing in a similar blue glitter. I hooked another big 'un. 30 minutes later and 3 complete trips around the boat we still had not seen it. I got tangled with another fisherman fighting a fish and my fish got under the boat and sliced my 65# braid.

Later I would get a 70# and an 85#.

My 85 was the last fish to hit the deck at 12:24 AM and John had the boat already turned and headed for home.

9 hours and 24 minutes of fishing and we had our limit of 30. All very solid fish. Diana is definitely the hot spot right now.

Gotta love being back at the dock in 27½ hours at 9:30 AM....

Bobby

·
1,025 Posts
Wow, Bobby!! Great trip!! I really miss fishing with Captain John Brennan!! He really knows the wahoo, AJ, and tuna fishing out of Port A. Is he still only taking private mid week charters?

Scott

·
821 Posts
Thanks for the report! I got to watch ice skating instead of going fishing. Skating was really GREAT! Momma is happy now so I can get in trouble some more.

·
175 Posts
Great report, has DSH changed their trips to be "till we limit" instead of a predefined XX hour long trip? or was this a special private trip that was setup in this way? Ive done a few trips with them in the past and they were always 48 hr trips, so I was just curious

·
620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
J2 .... Apparently they have been catching a good many daytime popper fish. It works in Venice why shouldn't it work here? I have learned a lot by observing and one thing I noticed is that all of the daytime topwater fish were caught on large poppers than were thrown a mile. One of our deckhands was a young guy named Peter. He is also John's deckhand on The Caliente. Much has been said here on this board and others about how far Tony Busbee could throw a topwater (One of John's former deckies) but I'm gonna stand here before you and tell you that this guy throws a topwater so far he makes Tony look like me ...:(

Scott .... The Pelican only does charters but you can charter it for any day or weekend. Clint is now the number 1 captain on the Pelican but it appears that John still calls the shots on the floater trips.

Nate .... Sorry bud, next time. Scott just sent me an email that showed that the Big "E" is lowering their prices. Looks like we need to get the whole gang together to do a trip during the height of bottom fishing next year.

Allen .... They started billing them as "Floater" trips a couple of years ago. We had a thread about that here and some guys voiced their displeasure with that. John came on here to post an explanation about it that they were no longer 48 hour trips. I feel they should lower their prices to meet the difference but they are booked solid and as long as they continue to sell these trips at the going rate they don't need to lower their prices. During AJ season they do stop to bottom fish. They don't do these trips at a time when snapper season is on.

·
2,835 Posts
awesum One of our deckhands was a young guy named Peter. Much has been said here on this board and others about how far Tony Busbee could throw a topwater (One of John's former deckies) but I'm gonna stand here before you and tell you that this guy throws a topwater so far he makes Tony look like me ...:) .[/QUOTE said:
I've know Peter since he was knee high to a grasshopper. He's a great fisherman and Capt. He also has his 100 ton license. Great guy.

·
620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Mr. Bill ... I was just curious what Peter's background is and where he is from. John B. thought it was very odd that Peter and I had never met given as much time as I have spent fishing there over the years. He does seem like a nice guy . We had an all-star cast for a crew on this trip.

Steve ... I'll take what I can get. It was a lean year for me. I was only able to work in two long range trips and the first one was a blank for me back in September.

Wait til next year.....;)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts