Pelican from Wednesday 11/12?

Discussion in 'Offshore Fishing Reports' started by SpecialK, Nov 14, 2008.

1. SpecialK

SpecialK Super Moderator

Anybody hear how they did?

2. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

not well. very rough seas....15 YF for 12 guys. maybe someone will post pics of the trip.

3. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

they also caught some grouper and AJs

4. Cudakilla

Cudakilla Senior Member

Yeah it was pretty rough..windy, constant driving rain with rough conditions made for some hard fishing. Capt John and his mates were the best I have ever seen on a party boat. Despite hard conditions, these guys truly hustled and put us on some fish. We returned a bit early as it was evident that weather was not improving.

Will post pics shortly and I am sure as the others get home and rested they'll post up a more detailed report.

It was great to meet up and fish with some of the coolest guys. Thanks Rick for putting this together.

The only bummer was when leaving the jetties, some rods we had leaning on the bench got tossed and my brand new Smith Keyohlu fell and the tip hit the rail and snapped off. :(

5. Cudakilla

Cudakilla Senior Member

here you go...proof that it was really, really wet! :)

Attached Files:

rtran likes this.
  6. Bellyups

Bellyups Senior Member

Thanks for the pics!! Those are some good eating fish and a nice YFT. Sorry to hear about the rod. Looks wet--at least that keeps the deck clean.

7. rtran

rtran Senior Member

sorry the trip didnt turn out so well. any details on the trip?

those are nice groupers

8. SkeeterRonnie

SkeeterRonnie Senior Member

looks like a heck of a fishn trip in those conditions! some gooood eating fish on the decks!! good job!

9. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

rich - greg got his warsaw on a jig and on his AMJ. he said 400' of water and a pink 10oz williamson. i havent heard many people getting warsaws on jigs, pretty cool

10. lordhell

lordhell Moderator

Damn Bao, nice YFT man. You fellas are hardcore goin out in those crappy conditions.

11. SpecialK

SpecialK Super Moderator

Thanks for the report... Sorry the conditions didnt cooporate a little more~!

12. gimmedeal

gimmedeal Senior Member

Don't feel bad for us, we went fishing. I feel bad for those who didn't. Anybody that's been a GOM offshore fisherman has been out in the nastiness. This trip was great with positive attitudes and a great, hard workin crew. It was fun meeting people I hadn't fished with before and hope to fish with again soon.
    We were given a very realistic forecast of what conditions we were heading into and chose to climb on board. Seas were rough and fishing wasn't optimal but I think there were a few people on boad that got personal bests. Top tuna went 104 and I think there were a couple others that went 90 or better. By the end of the trip the bunk area smelled strongly like wet fishermen, yeah, just a mite funky.
    Fishing in the Gulf in the fall is better by far than stayin home.

Fred

13. Cudakilla

Cudakilla Senior Member

Definitely the highlight of the trip was meeting a group of awesome guys. The nastiness of the conditions will bring out the worst in people and I have to say that it was not evident at all in this case.

This was more of a scouting trip for me (not having done a GOM trip like this before) and was not sure what to expect but the next trip I will be better 'armed!?!' :) and better prepared to do serious battle. My shopping list has started and among the items will probably be a Bowflex machine. Hehehe!

14. gimmedeal

gimmedeal Senior Member

Roland, Don't think of this trip as typical. The weather was toward the extreme side. I've been colder and wetter but I've also had trips that you could fish in shorts and T-shirts. Hope we can get together soon.

Fred

15. Drifter

Drifter Senior Member

Roland, It was a pleasure meeting you and your Dallas group. The photos were great! BAO is a fishing fanatic who kept catching BFT for chunking!

We'll shoot you an email next time we meet for lunch.
    around the Cabela's area.

Louis

16. rtran

rtran Senior Member

rich - greg got his warsaw on a jig and on his AMJ. he said 400' of water and a pink 10oz williamson. i havent heard many people getting warsaws on jigs, pretty cool

thats sick, nice job greg

17. BAOSABI

BAOSABI Senior Member

I will post details when I get a chance tonite. Trying to clean some fish.

18. 2busy

2busy Senior Member

Hey Guys we finally got home and just checkin in to see what was posted.

I got to put some faces to names and was glad to meet yall. I think givemedeal summed it up pretty good. it was a funky smell inside toward the end of the trip. Maybe we will see some of yall on future trips. Thanks

I'm sure we will be discussing equipment in the future. Hopefully some will have pics of the entire catch.

I talked to the OSU saltwater cowboys before we left and they had some nice fish also on the gulf eagle.They had more AJ but only 11 YF and i dont think they had any grouper.

It was a wet and rough trip but we still got some fish in the coolers. wasnt a total wash out but was hoping for better conditions.

Glad to meet yall and hope to fish with yall again sometime. If we can ever be of any assistance feel free to give us a holler.

19. SSFIREMSN

SSFIREMSN Senior Member

Sorry for the rough seas but you guys got some good fish. Great groupers. Steve

20. BAOSABI

BAOSABI Senior Member

Nasty nasty weather. I didn't bring proper foul weather gear and was wet 80% of the trip as you can see from Cudakilla's pictures. The top water bite never turned on. Drifter (Louis) caught the only top water YF on a Shibuki. I was trying out the new Brabus Shibuki flying fish with no success. Almost all YF's were caught from chunking. Gary was trying to jig up some decent size BF's and hooked up to a 60lb. YF on an OTI 450g. Jumbo jig in blue. Then he started chunking and landed two really nice bull mahis. The mahis were still circling the boat so I tied up a 3oz. pink Spro bucktail jig(with no leader) and immediately hooked up to one. Got the mahi up to the boat and then lost him due to no leader line. That was the only pink jig I brought. As soon as I put my rod down the Capt. handed me his rod with a big cow at the end of the line. The reel was set at what felt like 10 to 12lbs of drag and what looked like 30lb. mono. It was a fun fight. On the way out we stopped at a really good Grouper spot. The trusty old hammered diamond jig worked for me again. The largest grouper caught was on a small whole bft and was reeled up by Rick's son. It was around 100lbs. I got to use the new OTI 600g. jigging rods and love them. They're more parabolic then the 1st generation. Gary ended up with the biggest YF on the boat at 104lbs. on the scale. I landed one at an estimated 70lbs. in about 3mins , took a break an ate dinner. The next one I hooked up on took me 20mins and was a smaller fish at around 60lbs. Both fish were caught on boat rods (Shimano TLD 25 2 speed w/unknown rods). I didn't want to lock down the drag cause I was unsure of the line and knots. Since I'm fairly new to tuna fishing, I now know it's not just the size of the tuna that determines how strong they fight!

Anyways it was really nice to put some faces to the names (Fred, Louis, Rick, Robert). It was a pleasure fishing with you guys.

Here's the fruits of my labor!

Attached Files: