Pelican Charter out of Port A

Discussion in 'Boat Pooling' started by txcards, Oct 16, 2008.

1. txcards

txcards Senior Member

There is a charter with Deep Sea Headquarters out of Port Aransas on the dates listed. This is a tuna trip with 2 nights of fishing. I am not sure who started it, but as of monday there were still 6 slots left to fill. If you are interested, just ask for the Oct 27 Pelican charter. Their # is 1-800-705-3474. Hope we can get enough to go!:D

2. rtran

rtran Senior Member

how fast is the pelican?

3. Snagged

Snagged Senior Member

about 18 knots.

4. rtran

rtran Senior Member

thanks, i think im going to hop on this one
    anyone know anything aobut this operation or captain?

5. Snagged

Snagged Senior Member

Captian John is a very good and well known captian.
    Bring your own food and drinks in a 48 quart or smaller cooler.

6. rtran

rtran Senior Member

Thanks Jerry.

Rich

7. rtran

rtran Senior Member

anyone know how good the deckhands are?

8. Pope

Pope Senior Member

The captain has a great reputation and I am sure his crew will be good.

9. rtran

rtran Senior Member

Skeeterronnie, sent you PM.

Anyone else have insight on anything to take note on?

Is there room to put a box of tackle inside?
    Since there's no pictures of inside, there are tables? I like to put my box of tackle on the table.

Are there bunks?
    I bring one gym bag of clothes/foul weather gear, a box of tackle and a backpack for sleep/hygiene stuff. Will I have room to put my stuff or do I need to condense somehow?

Are the rod holders good? Will they scratch your equipment if they are in them bouncing around while cruising?

Rules on types of lines?

Microwave?

Things of this nature are good to know. I've also heard they don't accept CC.

10. NEMO

NEMO Member

I fish DSH every year and I feel they have some of the best deck hands around, We chartered the Gulf Eagle the 14th of Nov. for a 48hr. trip, I can't wait.

11. SkeeterRonnie

SkeeterRonnie Senior Member

2 tables. i usually slide my tackle under the benches at the table. there should be 12 bunks inside- bring a sleeping bag and use your clothes bag as your pillow. No shower- so bring a bag of wet wipes to rub the slime off with. 1 microwave, and maybe a coffee pot (but you will need to give the deckhands some money for using thier grounds, or bring your own)

the rodholders are the ones that are welded onto the rails. these boats are where the spartan milkcrates come in VERY handy. you put the milkcrates on the back while the boat is moving to another spot- and then I take mine up front and put it out of the way near the captain's ladder to the second deck- dont block the ladder though. bungee cords are a neccessity.

12. SkeeterRonnie

as far as deckhands and captains.. I have never fished with any better on ANY boats out there. they are very receptive to any suggestions and have some very good info on what to use. but of course, remember- its still fishing- and the fish can change what they want overnight. if the bite is slow, dont be afraid to experiment.

13. Formula4Fish

Formula4Fish Senior Member

rtran,

There is no table anywhere when they do a 48 hour trip. The one that's usually down the middle is removed and bunks are put in it's place.

[​IMG]

The only place to stash your tackle and personal stuff is under the bunks. You can see my white bag pulled out in the photo above. That space is limited and must be shared by the upper and the lower.

Here's a picture of the rod holders

[​IMG]

14. Snagged

Snagged Senior Member

15. SkeeterRonnie

oh. wow. the Gulf Eagle has tables. :) That pic is funny.. you can read Amy's mind "COME ON!! I want a 100 pound yellowfin already!" :)

16. rtran

rtran Senior Member

Thanks for the pictures! They are very helpful on what to expect.

17. rtran

rtran Senior Member

I called them and asked about taking credit card and they don't...kinda gay.

Edit: Well they do but its plus 6% fee.
    Me and my buddy are booked.

18. Mitchw123456

Mitchw123456 Senior Member

oh. wow. the Gulf Eagle has tables. :) That pic is funny.. you can read Amy's mind "COME ON!! I want a 100 pound yellowfin already!" :)

man I thought she had more of a "If we hit another wave I'm gonna hurl" look :D