Pelagic Charters-Venice deep dropping

Discussion in 'Offshore Fishing Reports' started by captain william wall, Apr 13, 2009.

1. captain william wall

captain william wall Site Sponsor

Was able to get out his past Saturday with intentions of putting some white meat in the box. On board was Eric Newman with Blue Runner food's along with a few of his friends. We cleared the pass and the sea state was basically a large swell left over from the day before. First drop was a beautiful snowy in the upper 20lb class and after that it slowed down. Made another move into deeper water and got bit right off the bat. This fish wrapped two lines into the rig so we pulled away in hopes of getting everything back. To my surprise and everyone else's we pulled up all of our gear including the fish, which turned out to be an oilfish around 40lbs. I originally thought it was an escolar but after doing a little research yesterday I found out it was not. Oh well. Things slowed down after that, so we made another move and started picking up snowy's and yellowedge one after the other. In the mix of the grouper, we picked up some of the biggest brotoula's (hope I spelled that right) I have ever seen. When we stopped fishing the total take was 13 grouper, 10 brotoula's, 1 oilfish, 3 hake's and 1 amberjack. Not a bad day considering the weather took a turn while we were fishing. This weather should be getting better as this month nears an end. I have an opening for this Wednesday if anyone would like to go. Thinking maybe a sword trip?

Captain William Wall

Pelagic Charters

Attached Files:

2. lite-liner

lite-liner troll enforcement Staff Member

3. Tunahunter

Tunahunter Guest

cool lookin fish. very different!

4. rparham82

rparham82 Member

Well that explains alot. Guess I'll stay away from escolar at the sushi bar in the future.

5. cabosandinh

cabosandinh Moderator

Advice , be careful when you eat that fish. It will make you go very loose....to the potty room if you,re fast enough to get there:eek: .

An ichthy laxative :) thanks for the info

6. gmack

gmack Senior Member

Isn't an escolar and oilfish the same thing?

What's a hake?

7. rparham82

rparham82 Member

An Escolar and Oilfish or both members of the snake mackerel family. They are closely related but technically different fish.

8. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

What's a hake?

not 100% sure if its the same hake we get up north, but its just a bottom fish. good eating IMO.

this is a red hake that is pretty common in northern cold waters. again, not sure what kind is down here...

Species Information: Red hake

9. captain william wall

captain william wall Site Sponsor

The oilfish has larger teeth and spikes on it's scales versus an escolar having more smooth scales. The real diff. is an oilfish has two finlets forward of its tai and an escolar has many. I stayed away from out of fear of the bubble guts. The rest of the fish were yummy.

10. gmack

gmack Senior Member

Will, how deep must one fish to get some snowy grouper?

11. gmack

gmack Senior Member